CAYOM 3.0 Year 1 (2017) Discussion Thread

So for everyone who's read it... I think you might be surprised to learn how faithful Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills actually is to the original show. The TV show wasn't a parody (intentionally), just spectacularly bad. But aside from the overt jokes and, obviously, the ending, it's really very close. I'll put this all in spoilers so people who didn't read the movie yet don't need to see it but:

Spoiler

-The character names are all accurate, of course.

-The opening scene is a direct adaptation of the first scene of the series - a merc really does give Gorganus a "map" that's just a bunch of etchings on some glass, and he really is laser-blasted for his troubles (though in the show he's "teleported to a toil mine" instead of killed).

-If anything, movie Lechner is LESS annoying than show Lechner.

-Gordon on the show is absolutely stupid enough to make that Star Wars comment (he actually once accused Les Misérables of being an obvious ripoff of The Fugitive).
-"Ninjabot, the samurai robot" is taken from the show's first episode, and yes, that's exactly how Gorganus describes him.
-Almost every monster in the show is, for some reason, teleported to a completely desolate location where it can't seem to do any harm - just like in the movie.
-The teens' summoning is almost verbatim from the show - the teens initially believe the portal to be from Swinton's project until Nimbar tells them he summoned them.
-Yes, Nimbar is just a mound of goo on a pedestal that sometimes has tentacles.
-No, the teens on the show don't have any discernible combat skills, and really do spend most of the fight scenes just jumping around or doing gymnastics - though the show still tries to pretend they're formidable warriors.
-The "Power Portal in the girl's restroom" joke is lifted directly from the show.
-Yes, Knightron really is a thing, and yes, the "most powerful sword in the universe" really is useless unless used as a laser gun.
-Yes, the teens really do talk loudly in public about being superheroes, though in the show they always seem to get away with it because everyone is apparently deaf.
-The characters' personalities are only VERY slightly exaggerated, with the exception of Drew, who was more of a generic "rebellious fight-the-man" teen on the show.

I read through Voltron again noticed quite a few writing errors and with the Part 1 topic closed I'm putting up a Google Docs link here for anyone who hasn't reviewed it yet ( @Hiccup23 @spaghetti! @Rorschach @Ethan Hunt @Electric). I haven't made any changes other than fixing typos and some other errors.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M1d-ekaEEkz-Hi7EE9yeEgC70EHzIwYEEpcIlZCOaj8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

@Alpha, @Xillix, @Bastien, @Rorschach, @Ethan Hunt

Need some advice from y'all, since I know you read SEEING HER: Would you say Mae Whitman is a lead or supporting role? I know I wrote it, but I want to make sure I'll campaign her for a category that won't make people hate me, lmao

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

Need some advice from y'all, since I know you read SEEING HER: Would you say Mae Whitman is a lead or supporting role? I know I wrote it, but I want to make sure I'll campaign her for a category that won't make people hate me, lmao

I'd definitely say supporting.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 7:52 AM, Bastien said:

Average per movie :

Electric : 85m$

Ethan Hunt : 77.5m$

ChD : 62.5m$

Spaghetti : 62.1m$

Bastien : 57m$
Cookie : 49.2m$

Xillix : 46m$

Alpha : 43.2m$

Hiccup23 : 38.5m$

I spent quite a bit per movie. Though sample sizes matter... you'd need 30 movies per user to really get a good analysis of statistically significant differences. :P

BTW, as improbable as it may seem, I do in fact have a sequel lined up for Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills.

It'll be called Ta2ed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills.

I don't know most of the plot yet, but I do know the ending :) 

1 hour ago, spaghetti! said:

Supporting Actress

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spaghetti! said:

Gonna jump in with the consensus here and say supporting

2 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

BP could be a race between Seeing Her, Flowers for Algernon, and Life is Strange.

Consider me surprised that Life is Strange is actually even considered for BP. It seemed like such a messy mess when I finished it that I had low hopes for it

1 hour ago, spaghetti! said:

BP could be a race between Seeing Her, Flowers for Algernon, and Life is Strange.

It's early but right now I think the BP race looks this:

Seeing Her

Flowers for Algernon

Life is Strange

Good chance

Public Eye

Scrooge McDuck

Touching Spirit Bear

Dark horse

Me and My Shadow

The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair

Amulet

The Provider

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

Voltron / Spark: Rising

The SCP Foundation (it being a horror anthology is going to make it very difficult despite strong reviews)

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

So I see we managed to make late August/ early September an incredibly realistic slog

True but this is CAYOM. We can always have something break out in August in order to make the month interesting. Back in CAYOM 1.0, a small Christian film broke out in August and made $180M in August. 

2 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

True but this is CAYOM. We can always have something break out in August in order to make the month interesting. Back in CAYOM 1.0, a small Christian film broke out in August and made $180M in August. 

In B4 Ninja makes $300 million

14 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

I know we talk about doing actuals in a line, but should we do the same for hosting the academy awards? It was fun to change it up every year - I'd love to host in Y1, provided no one else is interested

I was actually going to recommend you should the question come up so now you know my point of view.:sparta: