WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, but wouldn't that be insanely impressive to have the only CBM's ahead of it be Dark Knight and Avengers films? But yeah, wouldn't be top 5 for long. Still would be pretty cool. 

I guess so. Given just how much more Superman '78, Spidey '02, Batman '89 among others inflate to DOM, it's actually kind of hollow for me. I mean, it might finish just above Iron Man 3, Captain America 3, etc. if you don't adjust. Otherwise, it's likely finishing behind them as well.

To me this Frozen, Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Incredible but slightly less impressive than any of 'em.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

More likely to be Coco and DM3 than Emoji

I don't think it's happening either. Cloudy 2 numbers is likely for it at most. It'd be hilarious to see the outrage here if it did.

You and @MovieMan89 776.jpg

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm amazed it seems to have gotten a PG-13 for as dour and depressing as many say it is...this is why there's the "parent check" effect for these movies in later weekends...Spidey and WW vs Apes all being the same rating is wild to me...

Apes isn't R rated material though, Dunkirk for example isn't exactly going to be laugh a minute and that's PG-13

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, DM3 will likely win the year unless Coco can score top tier Pixar WOM. Because I don't think an opening any higher than mid 60's is possible for it. 

Thinking Cinderella numbers for Coco. I don't think the Frozen short will massively help it like Cinderella. Especially when it'll likely be on ABC this December too.

• Like 1

I'm convinced the Emoji Movie is going to flop. Not because I don't want to see it but because I don't think it's going to be that appealing to the people that it is aimed. Sometimes people totally over predict movies because they think they look bad but they want to be fair to them and I think this is one of those movies.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

Apes isn't R rated material though, Dunkirk for example isn't exactly going to be laugh a minute and that's PG-13

It's not about laughs...I'm assuming these movies are gonna be some violent, dark affairs...and somehow tons of violence gets PG-13, but a show of nipples or a single f-bomb gets PG-13...Raters probably need to do a better job either backing off on the automatic language/prudity stuff getting to PG-13 or dial back violence allowed in PG-13...

• Like 1

@TwoMisfits as a mother how did you, your spouse and/or your children react to Sausage Party commercials/trailers/the movie if you or your family saw a glimpse.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

That's actually a tiny better than I expected for Apes. I know this is another sequel but honestly it feels like the last one had a bigger rush factor because Rise was such a surprise and it was still really fresh. There was quite a few people here predicting 300 for it for a reason. This doesn't have that kind of intense buzz, so that's a solid preview number. Thinking low 60s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

That's actually a tiny better than I expected for Apes. I know this is another sequel but honestly it feels like the last one had a bigger rush factor because Rise was such a surprise and it was still really fresh. There was quite a few people here predicting 300 for it for a reason. This doesn't have that kind of intense buzz, so that's a solid preview number. Thinking low 60s.

Previews also began 3 hours earlier for War than they did for Dawn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's not about laughs...I'm assuming these movies are gonna be some violent, dark affairs...and somehow tons of violence gets PG-13, but a show of nipples or a single f-bomb gets PG-13...Raters probably need to do a better job either backing off on the automatic language/prudity stuff getting to PG-13 or dial back violence allowed in PG-13...

I think expanding the rating system is the best option.  I like the one where it is simply given an age recommendation and age cut-off.

Give a system an age rating and a color, green meaning recommended, yellow meaning cautioned, and red being none of this age or below allowed without adult

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

@TwoMisfits as a mother how did you, your spouse and/or  your children react to Sausage Party

I have not seen more than snippets...and I have let my kids see those snippets...I wished someone had made a PG-13 version for it (like they used to do for tv movies), b/c I'd love to show the whole thing beginning to end to my kids b/c some of the snippets are hilarious...

So, I know more about the movie than I've seen (since I've read all about the ending and the desire to see how far they could push raters)...but then I don't need to see the ending...it was a movie that probably could have made a bundle if they could have dialed it back...every day, I wish Pixar or Illuminations would steal the concept and recreate their family friendly version...

And it was an R rated movie...so it was "kid" excluded from the get go...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I think expanding the rating system is the best option.  I like the one where it is simply given an age recommendation and age cut-off.

Give a system an age rating and a color, green meaning recommended, yellow meaning cautioned, and red being none of this age or below allowed without adult

Nah. It's fine as is... There are all kinds of options to get more specifics as why a movie's rated PG-13, R, etc.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Nah. It's fine as is... There are all kinds of options to get more specifics as why a movie's rated PG-13, R, etc.

The MPAA is a complete joke.  A movie like Philomena had to be lobbied by Weinstein to get a PG-13 instead of R for some reason.

• Like 1

Look, I saw all kinds of movies as a kid, too...in my house...

That way, I could leave if it bugged me or if I wasn't behaving b/c I was bored, not disturb anyone...or just not watch at all if it seemed lame to little old me...

I saw Terminator at 5 - only movie to give me nightmares and it's an amazing movie...but I saw that sitting on the floor of a living room, so when I screamed and dove for the pillow, I didn't bug anyone.  No way would my dad take me to the theaters for that one:)...

• Like 1