baumer

Annabelle: Creation (2017)

Grade it  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This series really packs the scares unlike any other horror movie or franchise since Paranormal Activity.  This one was closer to Conjuring 1 and 2 than it was to the first Annabelle.   I would give better than a middle to low B, but the characters always frustrate me in these movies.  They never think or act logically.

This was pretty dumb. David Sandberg can build a nice atmosphere, but he absolutely does not deliver on the scares and leaves too many potential scares hanging loose. Although I wasn't bored with this movie, the pacing is pretty weird, and the ending is anticlimatic. If the characters weren't so irrational and dumb as shit, I probably would have given it a 7, but they aggravated me way too much. 6/10 | C+

• Like 2

I've had a pretty good run at the theaters lately and that streak continued last night with Annabelle: Creation. Going in, I didn't have high hopes for this because I hated the original Annabelle outside of one sequence, found Lights Out pretty generic and the trailers did nothing for me. But the atmosphere in the actual movie is very similar to Wans other Conjuring films and like those, Creation is filled with tight camera angles and silent areas that build and build followed by loud scares. It's not really doing anything new but David Sandberg consistently plays with tropes you've come to expect in these movies, even if you think you know what's going to happen (and a lot of times I was still right). I don't say this often, but this is the type of film that's more fun with an audience because it's filled with extremely stupid decisions that only happen in a horror movie. lol I usually hate it when people talk in the theater but here, all the people screaming at the screen added to the experience because it was like being at Halloween Horror Nights. So yeah...probably the most fun I've had at a horror movie since The Conjuring 2. If you liked those films, can't see you walking out that dissatisfied here. Well shot, well paced and well acted. Was pleasantly surprised (but Jesus is that demon a total dick to disabled children). - B+

Edit: Also loved the blink and you miss it easter egg to the nun from The Conjuring 2 and the homage paid to the real Annabelle doll.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

It is good to see a horror director in complete control of his craft. David F. Sandberg proves he is one of the best right now and that Wan was wise to chose him after seeing Lights Out. The direction was top notch with fantastic moments through the movie and the last 30 minutes are absolutely incredible. The Valak teases and the connection to the first Annabelle were also great.

• Like 1

I hated it from beginning to end.  And here's my main problem with it.  First of all there are way too many dumb people in this movie and secondly no one hears really loud screams until it's too late.  When the little girl is getting pushed into the barn by the demon, her friends are playing very close to her.  No one hears her screaming or sees her getting pushed.  It's so ridiculously stupid and it cheapens the movie.  

But my main issue is that is possession films, demons spend 90% of the movie doing things to scare people and then later they try to kill them.  Why?  I mean, it's a fucking demon.  In this film the demons or entity or whatever it is, can unlock locked doors, manifest itself in scarecrows, break things, throw things against the wall and kill people, yet if you put it behind a locked door, it can't get out.  Ridiculous.  And too many things are left unexplained.  Every scare was choreographed and every plot twist I could see coming miles away.  This is lazy writing and the direction seems like it's from someone who knows how to create tension, but doesn't know why the tension is supposed to be there.  In Halloween, when Myers is in the background, he is usually about to strike.  When his shadow glides across the room, people are going to die.  In AC, when ominous things happen, there are no consequences. 

This movie really irritated me.

2/10

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 8:41 PM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I hated it from beginning to end.  And here's my main problem with it.  First of all there are way too many dumb people in this movie and secondly no one hears really loud screams until it's too late.  When the little girl is getting pushed into the barn by the demon, her friends are playing very close to her.  No one hears her screaming or sees her getting pushed.  It's so ridiculously stupid and it cheapens the movie.  

But my main issue is that is possession films, demons spend 90% of the movie doing things to scare people and then later they try to kill them.  Why?  I mean, it's a fucking demon.  In this film the demons or entity or whatever it is, can unlock locked doors, manifest itself in scarecrows, break things, throw things against the wall and kill people, yet if you put it behind a locked door, it can't get out.  Ridiculous.  And too many things are left unexplained.  Every scare was choreographed and every plot twist I could see coming miles away.  This is lazy writing and the direction seems like it's from someone who knows how to create tension, but doesn't know why the tension is supposed to be there.  In Halloween, when Myers is in the background, he is usually about to strike.  When his shadow glides across the room, people are going to die.  In AC, when ominous things happen, there are no consequences. 

2/10

What did you think of the preview for IT before the movie?

A finely executed effort from a technical and structural standpoint, with an effectively developed atmosphere and enough tension to sustain general interest. Still, I found it a bit underwhelming, ultimately feeling that the film kind of coasts along while not really doing much to transcend or productively leverage genre tropes. In simpler terms, it's a thoroughly competent effort that doesn't really do much to make itself stand out. 

B/B- 

On 8/14/2017 at 9:41 PM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

2/10

What was your opinion of the first Annabelle? I've only watched the Conjuring films so far and neither spin-off.

My only real issue with the movie (other than issues you'd expect to have with a typical horror flick) is that it felt "small". Not contained, as films like don't breathe feel contained yet they are fantastic, but I never felt any sort of large scope from this, whether that included consequences for the characters themselves or the larger world around them.

That being said, the acting was pretty good, the jump scares were separated by moments of real tension, and the way the film ties in with the first is pretty clever. 

B-

After an awful misstep with the first installment in the spinoff franchise, Annabelle: Creation succeeds as a suitably tense and creepy piece of supernatural horror. The biggest reason area in which Creation improves upon its predecessor is in its character development. While Annabelle was plagued with poorly-written characters who received minimal development, this prequel works in large part because of the time it spends developing audience sympathy for the five orphan girls and their nun caretaker (not the same nun who will be getting her own spinoff next year, though she does appear ever-so-briefly in the film). By the time the supernatural shenanigans ratchet up, there’s actually some reason to care about the potential victims caught in the crosshairs, which was decidedly not the case in the previous film. Director David F. Sandberg also does a stellar job in developing and sustaining a creepy atmosphere throughout the running time, bringing the same attention to spatial and aural detail that made Lights Out a surprisingly enjoyable film last summer. It’s not on the same level as the proper Conjuring installments, but it’s far, far better than I ever imagined another Annabelle prequel would be.

B

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was suspenseful although I did think that the characters were illogical lol and I liked the picture where you could see the nun from the conjuring 2. I also liked the raggedy Anne doll. I thought that was a nice touch since that's what it was supposed to be in real life. Quick question, I still haven't watched the other Annabelle film. I understand this one takes place before it. Does the end of this film lead into it? Everyone I saw it with hasn't watched the other Annabelle film either and we were all confused by the ending and just assumed that it lead into the other film. 

Pretty decent film, I would've given it an A-, but the characters really do make a lot of dumb decisions throughout the movie, so I'll give it a B+ 

If this is the good one then I can't even imagine how bad the original Annabelle must be. Shit is so basic it hurts. You can feel the scare coming with 5 minutes of antecedence. Didn't give an F because a few cool camera tricks and because it doesn't look bad (visually).

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2017 at 9:41 PM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I mean, it's a fucking demon.  In this film the demons or entity or whatever it is, can unlock locked doors, manifest itself in scarecrows, break things, throw things against the wall and kill people, yet if you put it behind a locked door, it can't get out.  

I hated the movie, but they do explain that part.

Edited by Goffe

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

If this is the good one then I can't even imagine how bad the original Annabelle must be. Shit is so basic it hurts. You can feel the scare coming with 5 minutes of antecedence. Didn't give an F because a few cool camera tricks and because it doesn't look bad (visually).

What scares? The tension never results in anything half of the time.