WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

8 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I still don't understand why WB didnt just fucking make Lego Movie 2 and have it open to 90m but instead they thought making spin-off films was  better, whyyyyyyyyyyy!?

Lego Batman made sense in light of the branding and the character's popularity in the first Lego film; it just didn't perform up to expectations. Doing Ninjago afterward, however, absolutely merits the "whyyyyyyyyy!?" above.

It's kinda odd to consider that Lord and Miller had two big franchise films in 2014, and yet neither got a direct sequel and it feels like the ship has sailed on each. And then they get fired from Han Solo. But maybe now this finally opens the door for a Clone High revival? Please, Hollywood?

Edited by Webslinger

58 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Look at the top 6 last year:  486 + 368 + 341 + 270 + 249 + 144 = 1858m (Dory, SLOP, Zootp, Sing, Moana, KFP3....haven't included TJB as an animation)

This year the top 6 look like: 263* + 176 + 175 + 153* + 86* + 73 = 927m (Replace Cap Under with Coco and the cume goes up)

*estimated where DM3, CARS3, EMOJI will end

Wow, such a huge difference.

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Lego Batman made sense in light of the branding and the character's popularity in the first Lego film; it just didn't perform up to expectations. Doing Ninjago afterward, however, absolutely merits the "whyyyyyyyyy!?" above.

It's kinda odd to consider that Lord and Miller had two big franchise films in 2014, and yet neither got a direct sequel and it feels like the ship has sailed on each. And then they get fired from Han Solo. But maybe now this finally opens the door for a Clone High revival? Please, Hollywood?

No lego Batman didn't make sense ether to me, at least being next. 

Its a spinoff, i don't care if its batman its a spin off, here is one of 4 chancers you loved form the movie. That is NEVER ever going to reach the levels a Sequel could. Never. it just doesnt have the potential on paper. After Lego 2 sure. 

Establish the Brand first.

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If anything, the Han Solo saga and Lego Batman underperformance + Ninjago outright failure will probably incite WB to pay millions to have Lord & Miller back for both Lego Movie Sequel AND Flashpoint, and Sony may scout them for MIB23 if that's even still moving forward.

I think it's probably a bit too late for MIB23. Wouldn't rule out Sony looking at them for Ghostbusters since there was a rumor they wanted a crack at that property. A Ghostbusters reboot would also be an easier sell to the internet fans as well as the GA, maybe a mixed team this time.

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Look at the top 6 last year:  486 + 368 + 341 + 270 + 249 + 144 = 1858m (Dory, SLOP, Zootp, Sing, Moana, KFP3....haven't included TJB as an animation)

This year the top 6 look like: 263* + 176 + 175 + 153* + 86* + 73 = 927m (Replace Cap Under with Coco and the cume goes up)

*estimated where DM3, CARS3, EMOJI will end

To be fair, you have 2 late fall/Xmas movies in the 2016 total...2017 will still be behind by the end, but it will probably look a little better than a 50% drop (probably more in the 40-45% range for the top 6, since I'm not expecting Coco to top the year, but I am expecting better than $73M)...

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm totally bored with the aesthetic of these movies and i loved the original. lego batman was too much for me. sometimes funny but other times it was like hanging with overactive kids who wouldn't stfu.

LEGO Ninjago is like that except these kids are throwing shit all over the wall and screaming in the process.

• Like 1

Yeah, animation has been piss poor all year long. The 4th highest grossing animated film of 2016, Sing, would be #1 if it came out on 2017, and the 5th highest grossing Moana would be #3 (only behind Despicable Me 3).

On the other hand, superhero movies have been on the overperformance side of things:

226.3 (Logan) + 389.8 (GOTG V2) + 411.7 (Diana) + 331.1 (Spidey) = 1358.9

vs.

363.1 (Deadpool) + 330.4 (BVS) + 408.1 (Civil War) + 155.4 (Apocalypse) = 1257

Now, if you add Suicide Squad, 2016 obviously shoots ahead, but it's unfair to do that until Thor: Ragnarok hits, and then Doctor Strange and Justice League to make it 6 for 6. Hilarious how X-Men: Apocalypse massively underperformed compared to the smaller budget, smaller scale, R-rated solo counterparts.

@grim22 No thank you to anymore Ghostbusters reboots. Personally, I never wanted the 1st one to begin with (not because of mysogyny, but because of being a reboot that ignored the continuity of an iconic franchise.... it's like the idea of a Back To The Future reboot, it just makes me sick).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, the ship has sailed on a 23 Jump Street. By the time it came out it would just pull a Little Fockers or Hangover 3.

Both those movies made money. Just not enough to make more

they can definitely milk some money from Jump Street at least once more 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, animation has been piss poor all year long. The 4th highest grossing animated film of 2016, Sing, would be #1 if it came out on 2017, and the 5th highest grossing Moana would be #3 (only behind Despicable Me 3).

On the other hand, superhero movies have been on the overperformance side of things:

226.3 (Logan) + 389.8 (GOTG V2) + 411.7 (Diana) + 331.1 (Spidey) = 1358.9

vs.

363.1 (Deadpool) + 330.4 (BVS) + 408.1 (Civil War) + 155.4 (Apocalypse) = 1257

Now, if you add Suicide Squad, 2016 obviously shoots ahead, but it's unfair to do that until Thor: Ragnarok hits, and then Doctor Strange and Justice League to make it 6 for 6. Hilarious how X-Men: Apocalypse massively underperformed compared to the smaller budget, smaller scale, R-rated solo counterparts.

@grim22 No thank you to anymore Ghostbusters reboots. Personally, I never wanted the 1st one to begin with (not because of mysogyny, but because of being a reboot that ignored the continuity of an iconic franchise.... it's like the idea of a Back To The Future reboot, it just makes me sick).

What if the reboot does not ignore continuity and is a proper passing the torch thing? 

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

What if the reboot does not ignore continuity and is a proper passing the torch thing? 

That's more of a sequel than a reboot. Kinda like Jurassic World, which was kind of a reboot in tone and cast, but recognized the original film's existance (almost too much, to the point of handjobbing it). That, I would be fine with. And that's basically what I wanted the all-female Ghostbusters to be.

Although, I can still think of many things I'd rather put L&M on than another Ghostbusters movie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'll jump in and say "it depends"...

I used to say I'd never handle a Clue reboot, but having read the current comic series on Clue, if they went with that author's inspiration and updated that way, I'd buy tickets day 1...updating the 20th century concept to 21st century, but keeping the tone, the series' thrust, the characters very similar but with a brand new story and concept that just isn't a rehash...

I'd need something similar for Ghostbusters...give me the original characters (they are iconic like supers at this point - everyone knows the 5 main characters - Peter, Egon, Rey, Winston, and Janine), update them to the 21st century with a 21st century problem, but keep the tone and the series' thrust the same, while presenting a brand new story that isn't just a rehash...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

I am thinking Fedinand (Dec 21) surprises with 100m dom.

I agree that people are underestimating Ferdinand. I could see it doing even better than that, maybe 120-140M. No, it won't do Illumination numbers, but the only Blue Sky movie to do under 100m is Ice Age 5. If Chipmunks 4 could make 85M under similar circumstances, I think a decent-looking original animated movie can do significantly better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blipsy said:

I agree that people are underestimating Ferdinand. I could see it doing even better than that, maybe 120-140M. No, it won't do Illumination numbers, but the only Blue Sky movie to do under 100m is Ice Age 5. If Chipmunks 4 could make 85M under similar circumstances, I think a decent-looking original animated movie can do significantly better. 

The trailers for this got worse after each one. Jumanji will likely be the big family film.

• Like 1