WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

13 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Ninjago is definitely WAG's weakest film and weakest Lego film. I didn't hate but I didn't like it either. It's just average.

So it's basically TGD to Lego Batman's Inside Out. I suspect this is why the marketing was below par as WB knew it wasn't great. 

I'm hopeful that Smallfoot turns out decently. Wonder if they'll have a trailer with either Peter Rabbit or Early Man?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, B D Joe said:

The Frozen short adds 50m to the final gross.  210m.

So Cinderella numbers (which also had a Frozen short). Still with the short arriving on TV shortly after release has me wondering how much of an impact will it be.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Speaking of films without hype, anyone else thinking Coco might do about the same as Cars 3 box office wise? The hype for this feels less prevalent than Moana.

Coco should do better than Cars 3, since Ninjago will be long finished its run by November and MLP and The Star aren't going to make much of an impact, it's coming at the right time. 

• Like 1

The subjectivity of what someone finds scary is always interesting.

The only movies that creep me out are The Exorcist and The Entity.

I suppose The Exorcist works for me because I had an aunt who was a nurse (in the 60's) and dealt with a patient who exhibited signs of possession (a priest was called in) and that probably makes me susceptible to that film.  If you think the whole subject is nonsense, I'd imagine the movie seems silly.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

So it's basically TGD to Lego Batman's Inside Out. I suspect this is why the marketing was below par as WB knew it wasn't great. 

I'm hopeful that Smallfoot turns out decently. Wonder if they'll have a trailer with either Peter Rabbit or Early Man?

More like the Pocohantas to Lego Batman's Lion King. Probably one of the weaker animated movies of the year. Storks does better with character development, pacing and jokes. Unlike Lego Batman, it lacks the wit, the film kind of blows it's load during the first 25 minutes and the jokes hit and miss. The other ninjas get near jackshit in terms of development. Garmadon has the best moments and delivers most of the laughs and Meowthra is just pawtastic. Lloyd was okay I guess. The animation is pretty nice as usual. I had fun but it's a letdown. I feel if they waited a year to work on it some more, the film could have been better.

If I were to rank the animated films this year:

Lego Batman

Underpants

Boss Baby

Despicable M3

Ninjago

Smurfs

Emoji

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

More like the Pocohantas to Lego Batman's Lion King. Probably one of the weaker animated movies of the year. Storks does better with character development, pacing and jokes. Unlike Lego Batman, it lacks the wit, the film kind of blows it's load during the first 25 minutes and the jokes hit and miss. The other ninjas get near jackshit in terms of development. Garmadon has the best moments and delivers most of the laughs and Meowthra is just pawtastic. Lloyd was okay I guess. The animation is pretty nice as usual. I had some fun but it's a letdown. I feel if they waited a year to work on it some more, the film could have been better.

The fact it's had a lot of writers suggests they were struggling to make a decent fist of a story. It's a misstep for WAG but every studio has them once in a while. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

In addition to Fandango B1G1 deal , Atom just put out a deal for $5 Kingsman tickets if you get 3 friends to join.  I'm just glad to see the box office kicking - and so much competing subsidization is great...can't believe I once paid full price for tickets

Since the Moviepass deal in late August, these deals have been almost every weekend.  It's a great time to get back to seeing movies cheaply:)...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder when WAG will announce their 6/1/18 movie.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Speaking of films without hype, anyone else thinking Coco might do about the same as Cars 3 box office wise? The hype for this feels less prevalent than Moana.

Yes...yes I do.  But I've been saying that since I saw the 1st trailer...I already saw a better animated movie with a boy with an instrument last year, and I already saw a better animated movie about the Day of the Dead a few years ago - putting the 2 concepts together is not getting me any more excited...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes...yes I do.  But I've been saying that since I saw the 1st trailer...I already saw a better animated movie with a boy with an instrument last year, and I already saw a better animated movie about the Day of the Dead a few years ago - putting the 2 concepts together is not getting me any more excited...

For Pixar's first musical, the music should more hyped up in the marketing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Coco should do better than Cars 3, since Ninjago will be long finished its run by November and MLP and The Star aren't going to make much of an impact, it's coming at the right time. 

I'd say Coco's box office also depends on reviews. If it gets classic Pixar "perfect reception" response similar to say Inside Out, then 200m+ is practically a lock. 

• Like 5

For Pixar's first musical, the music should more hyped up in the marketing.

Something should be more hyped...I've got 4 kids (including my 2 younger boys) and zero want to see Coco right now - that's my 1st red flag.  They are all "Justice League, Justice League, Justice League", which IF it is kid friendly (and non-sucky), I'll probably take them to Thanksgiving weekend (I'll let the 1st weekend pass to get a vibe on kid-friendliness unless I hear early from some of you or my comic guy, who I know is taking his son the 1st night:)...I'm sure I won't be the only one after seeing how well supers did with families this year...

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if DM3 would be the only animated movie over $200M domestic this year. Animation should be much better in 2018. 3 (TI2, Grinch, Ralph 2) films seem like locks for $200M, and 2 of the 3 are locks for (TI2 and Grinch) $300M. Animated Spider-Man and HT3 can do $150M. Peter Rabbit could be a nice alternative for families to Black Panther. Everything else except for Duck Duck Goose (NJ2 #'s) should do in between $50M-$80M.

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if DM3 would be the only animated movie over $200M domestic this year. Animation should be much better in 2018. 3 (TI2, Grinch, Ralph 2) films seem like locks for $200M, and 2 of the 3 are locks for (TI2 and Grinch) $300M. Animated Spider-Man and HT3 can do $150M. Peter Rabbit could be a nice alternative for families to Black Panther. Everything else except for Duck Duck Goose (NJ2 #'s) should do in between $50M-$80M.

I wouldn't be that high on Grinch until I see some trailers...it's already had a movie adaptation, and that movie found out it's hard to turn a 22 minute tv special and a 400 word book (or thereabouts) into a full length 90 minute movie...

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule out Smallfoot doing over $90-100m but that does depend on how it looks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'd say Coco's box office also depends on reviews. If it gets classic Pixar "perfect reception" response similar to say Inside Out, then 200m+ is practically a lock. 

Agreed. Disney should rethink its marketing strategy though. Sandwiching Coco between Thor and Jedi, seems like it'll get under Disney's radar. And even though the majority of family films in the holiday (except for maybe Jumanji) should lesser than it, all those movies nearby will hurt especially with soso marketing.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't rule out Smallfoot doing over $90-100m but that does depend on how it looks. 

Goosebumps 2 the week after will hurt it and WB's September animated movies never do as well as other (Storks and Guardians are examples). I'm not expecting good marketing either.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Agreed. Disney should rethink its marketing strategy though. Sandwiching Coco between Thor and Jedi, seems like it'll get under Disney's radar. And even though the majority of family films in the holiday (except for maybe Jumanji) should lesser than it, all those movies nearby will hurt especially with soso marketing.

TBH Disney always has an animated film in November, if they move from that slot then another studio will snatch it up. It's a no win situation with having too many successful franchises.

• Like 2