WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Over here, kids movies normally get 3D removed after 2-3 weeks (The Nut Job 2 had it removed in its second weekend); it's basically just a way to take advantage of people who didn't get into the 2D shows. Live action blockbusters are more hit or miss (hello Excel sheet!):

6 weeks: SMH

5 weeks: Boss Baby, GOTG, POTC

4 weeks: BATB

3 weeks: Apes, Cars, DM3, Emoji, Mummy, Transformers, Valerian (entire run), WW

2 weeks: Captain Underpants, T23D (entire run), Resident Evil (entire run), Underworld (entire run), xXx

1 week: The Nut Job

(hello Excel sheet!): What does that mean?????????

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, James said:

Off topic, but I am rereading Silmarillion and if Simon takes the reins after Christopher Tolkien dies, this will be a gold mine for WB. You can easily get 5-6 movies out of this. And it is ay more epic than LOTR was.

Aside from their feelings about the quality of the films, why would they automatically go back to a studio they had to sue twice (taking years) over profits and licensing?    If the estate later decides to license the rights to The Simillarion, Lost Tales etc they will be a studio bidding war.  Also, since Christopher was the curator and editor of these posthumously published works there might be other legal restrictions on the estate as to their use.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The Scooby Doo Show had the best overall monsters designs IMO since they went to some far-out more original places in terms of designs, think The Tar Monster, 10000 Volt Ghost, Skeleton Men, The Snow Beast (probably the monster that freaked me out the most as a kid since he was humongous), The Creepy Heap For The Deep, The Future Monster etc... I think taking inspiration from that particular series would be great. I also love the monsters from the DTD "real films" from the 90's though. Also having The Gang be detectives specifically would be another good idea, as opposed to teens that just stumble into the mystery. 

I loved the 10,000 Volt Ghost as well! Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost were genuinely quite scary for animated films which is probably why I liked it then and now. 

I do agree that the Gang should be detectives, it was a quirk of the original series that nobody seemed to hire them considering they solved many mysteries and they had to go from town to town. 

• Like 2

@Blankments trailer update:

This week's openers: 

Kingsman: 12 (GOTG, King Arthur, Alien, Baywatch, Baby Driver, Spider-Man, Apes, Dunkirk, Atomic Blonde, Logan Lucky, The Dark Tower, It)

LEGO Ninjago: 5 (LEGO Batman, Boss Baby, Captain Underpants, Cars, Despicable Me)

Friend Request: 3 (47 Meters Down, Wish Upon, Annabelle)

Brad’s Status: 2 (Logan Lucky, American Assassin)

Woodshock: 2 (A Ghost Story, Good Time)

Battle of the Sexes: 1 (Wind River)

8:

Daddy’s Home 2 (Transformers, Baby Driver, The House, Despicable Me, Apes, Wish Upon, Girls Trip, Ninjago)

Flatliners (Baby Driver, The House, Annabelle, Logan Lucky, Hitman’s Bodyguard, Wind River, It, mother!)

7:

Blade Runner 2049 (Alien, Baby Driver, Valerian, Dunkirk, Detroit, It, mother!)

Thor: Ragnarok (GOTG, GOTG IMAX, The Mummy, Spider-Man, Valerian, Wish Upon, Atomic Blonde)

6:

Star Wars (GOTG, GOTG IMAX, POTC, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Dunkirk)

4:

American Made (The Mummy, Dunkirk, Detroit, Logan Lucky)

Coco (BATB, Gifted, Cars, Ninjago)

Geostorm (Kong, POTC, 47 Meters Down, Big Sick)

Happy Death Day (47 Meters Down, Wish Upon, Annabelle, It)

Jigsaw (Annabelle, It, mother!, American Assassin)

Murder on the Orient Express (The Mummy, It Comes at Night, Apes, Wish Upon)

Pitch Perfect 3 (Baby Driver, Despicable Me, Big Sick, Girls Trip)

3:

Death Wish (Detroit, It, American Assassin)

The Mountain Between Us (Detroit, Girls Trip, Annabelle)

Only the Brave (Dunkirk, Detroit, The Dark Tower)

The Snowman (Atomic Blonde, Wind River, mother!)

Suburbicon (Atomic Blonde, Wind River, mother!)

Wonder (POTC, Cars, Despicable Me)

2:

Black Panther (Valerian, The Dark Tower)

Ferdinand (Captain Underpants, Cars)

The Foreigner (Detroit, American Assassin)

The Greatest Showman (The House, Despicable Me)

Justice League (Wonder Woman, Dunkirk)

My Little Pony (Captain Underpants, Ninjago)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

Professor Marston (Spider-Man, The Dark Tower)

The Shape of Water (Apes, mother!)

TYLER PERRY’S BOO 2! (Girls Trip, Hitman’s Bodyguard)

1:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard)

Bad Moms (The House)

Breathe (Logan Lucky)

The Commuter (American Assassin)

The Current War (Wind River)

Darkest Hour (Atomic Blonde)

Downsizing (mother!)

Duck Duck Goose (Ninjago)

Isle of Dogs (Ninjago)

Jumanji (Ninjago)

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Good Time)

Olaf’s Frozen Adventure (Cars)

Proud Mary (Girls Trip)

Ready Player One (It)

Thank You for Your Service (The Dark Tower)

Three Billboards (Good Time)

A Wrinkle in Time (Valerian)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Aside from their feelings about the quality of the films, why would they automatically go back to a studio they had to sue twice (taking years) over profits and licensing?    If the estate later decides to license the rights to The Simillarion or any of the Lost Tales they will be a studio bidding war.

From what I read Simon Tolkien was so supportive of the movies that it drove a wedge between him and his dad, Cristopher. But they recently made peace. So I would expect Simon to give up the rights if enough money (and probably Jackson) is involved.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I loved the 10,000 Volt Ghost as well! Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost were genuinely quite scary for animated films which is probably why I liked it then and now. 

I do agree that the Gang should be detectives, it was a quirk of the original series that nobody seemed to hire them considering they solved many mysteries and they had to go from town to town. 

I think taking inspiration from Mystery Incorporated or heck since I'm listening to a Scooby Doo podcast right now, The New Scooby and Scrappy Doo Mysteries (excluding the Scrappy parts), could be good. In the later, the gang minus Velma and Fred went across the globe solving mysteries, involving both monsters and non-monsters, as reporters.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

No one's mentioned the fact that Friend Request will be breaking a record this weekend!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/worstopenings.htm?page=WRSTOPN25&sort=opening&order=ASC&p=.htm

Worst opening in 2500+ theaters!:rofl:

Hasn't that record been broken 3 times this year?

5 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Is Friend Request really that bad?

I didn't mind Unfriended, and can find things to like in almost any horror film.

Friend Request looked like the definition of a generic PG-13 modern horror movie. Yes I know it's R. 

Edited by Rman823