WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

Director Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman: The Golden Circle is easily lording over the competition at the North American box office, where the cheeky action-comedy is on course to gross roughly $16 million on Friday for a projected debut of $40 million or more from 4,003 theaters, according to early returns.

Warner Bros.' The Lego Ninjago Movie, the first animated family film of fall, is projected to take in a hearty $9 million to $10 million on Friday from 4,047 locations for a debut of $31 million to $34 million, good enough for a second-place finish. The film, based on the toy line popular with young boys, is considered a smaller property than The Lego Batman Movie, which launched to $53 million earlier this year, and The Lego Movie (2014), which opened to an even bigger $69.1 million.

The weekend's third new nationwide player is Friend Request, playing in 2,569 theaters. The indie horror pic is failing to scare up much business and could have trouble clearing $2 million in its debut for Byron Allen's new Entertainment Studios, distributor of summer sleeper hit, 47 Meters Down.

According from THR.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Storks also wasn't as "hyperactive" as Lego Batman was either. It was more balanced. It would be a good formula for WAG to follow.

Storks' OS total was more than its domestic total which is the reverse of WAG films which tend to be more domestic heavy which suggests that a more successful non Lego WAG film could do better OS numbers compared to the Lego films. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

Storks' OS total was more than its domestic total which is the reverse of WAG films which tend to be more domestic heavy which suggests that a more successful non Lego WAG film could do better OS numbers compared to the Lego films. 

Yeah. The lack of western / NA references / elements would no doubt helps these films more overseas. 

• Like 3

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Yeah. The lack of western / NA references / elements would no doubt helps these films more overseas. 

Much as I liked some of the references in The Lego Batman Movie, I do agree and  Smallfoot and Scooby will probably be more successful OS if they're more gag heavy than reference heavy. Scooby is probably the one they want to get right as it's one of WB's best selling characters and to break away from the live action films. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why such a low Friday increase? It made 548k yesterday.

These days it seems that the new openers big Tuesday jump matches the next Friday .....if its going to loose some showtimes and WOM is mediocre.  I have been see it happening alot lately.  Throughout the entire year, too!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still $100M OS isn't good.

It isn't, but it didn't have a great overseas release either. WBA just needs to make films with less heavy pop-culture specific reference in general, really. It's a good thing their budgets are usually as low as they are though. 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Much as I liked some of the references in The Lego Batman Movie, I do agree and  Smallfoot and Scooby will probably be more successful OS if they're more gag heavy than reference heavy. Scooby is probably the one they want to get right as it's one of WB's best selling characters and to break away from the live action films. 

Scooby Doo has a lot of potential for a lot of good "gags", especially if they create some fast-paced chase scenes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Overall theater update:

Kingsman's earlier showings in the biggest auditoriums sold in the mid-40s while the average showings have been in the high-20s. The showing in 5 minutes has only sold 20, so the pre-dinner lull is going on right now.

Ninjago is performing like dogshit as I said earlier. My showing only had 7 other people in it (3 of which left very early), and the rest of the earlier shows had 6-7 seats sold max. The showings within the next 60-90 minutes look pretty dire too.

Friend Request's 12:30 show sold no tickets, and the morning and early afternoon ones only sold two each. The rest of the day has only added two tickets from my sellout report earlier.

It is selling anywhere from low teens to high 20s for its shows across two screens, so It's holding exceptionally well.

AA got pounded hard by Kingsman. The first show only sold like 15 tickets, and the second one didn't even sell 10.

mother!'s been doing ok. The early afternoon show sold 12 tickets, but the other shows only sold 2 and 3 tickets.

Home Again continues only playing notably in the afternoon.

Mulan only sold two tickets a couple hours ago. AMC really didn't think this Disney thing through.

SMH sold nothing while THB's only show had like 6 tickets sold.

How is the 2d/3d selling difference for Ninjago?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It kinda sucks that shIT is the highest grossing horror movie given how not scary it is. At least The Exorcist earned that distinction by genuinely scaring the crap out of people. 

Don't you think the fact that IT having  more to it than genuinely scaring the crap out of people is why it's doing so well.

• Like 6

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Scooby Doo has a lot of potential for a lot of good "gags", especially if they create some fast-paced chase scenes. 

Reel FX are doing the animation for Scooby and they previously did the fantastic Looney Tunes CGI shorts for WB so I think if they can capture the look of Scooby Doo and the gang in CGI much like Blue Sky did with Peanuts then they'll be over the first hurdle. 

• Like 1