WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

Just now, Jonwo said:

TBH Disney always has an animated film in November, if they move from that slot then another studio will snatch it up. It's a no win situation with having too many successful franchises.

The only one of Disney's future November animated films that likely won't hurt is Ralph 2 (no Solo, no problem) or Frozen 2 which will be huge but both have decent competition. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Goosebumps 2 the week after will hurt it and WB's September animated movies never do as well as other (Storks and Guardians are examples). I'm not expecting good marketing either.

I don't expect Goosebumps 2 to do much better than the first, it might even decrease! Perhaps Smallfoot should move to September 28th now that A Star is Born has moved up and Goosebumps moved up a week to 14th September thus giving each film more breathing room

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Agreed. Disney should rethink its marketing strategy though. Sandwiching Coco between Thor and Jedi, seems like it'll get under Disney's radar. And even though the majority of family films in the holiday (except for maybe Jumanji) should lesser than it, all those movies nearby will hurt especially with soso marketing.

I agree Disney's been a bit quieter with it compared to other Pixar films in terms of promotion, but unless it turns into another Good Dinosaur, it does has several weeks to itself. There's no real family competition until The Last Jedi and Ferdinand come out during Christmas, and I doubt the later is gonna make much of a splash, at least. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I don't expect Goosebumps 2 to do much better than the first, it might even decrease! Perhaps Smallfoot should move to September 28th now that A Star is Born has moved up and Goosebumps moved up a week to 14th September thus giving each film more breathing room

Both Equalizer 2 and Star is Born moving makes it easier for both parties but I think Smallfoot is likely to follow suit with Storks and LOTG.

On the subject of films about social media, I highly recommend Cyberbully starring Maisie Williams, she gives a brilliant performance. I don't think there's a way if legally watching it outside the UK though, a problem with some smaller British indie films like this.

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

I can totally see an Exorcist poster with a tagline that reads "The devil is having a bad day.." :D 

Also, what was that awesome description you had for the Beguiled remake? "Nothing happens" and something else??? (Please remember, please remember, please remember...)

Nothing happens. 

Then something does.

Then it ends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I agree Disney's been a bit quieter with it compared to other Pixar films in terms of promotion, but unless it turns into another Good Dinosaur, it does has several weeks to itself. There's no real family competition until The Last Jedi and Ferdinand come out during Christmas, and I doubt the later is gonna make much of a splash, at least. 

It's releasing early in October in Mexico so I imagine Disney will use that to build the hype. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

JL is looking to draw in a lot more families and kids than most big mid November movies but the two should coexist.

Ferdinand is probably going to be Blue Sky's second lowest grossing. It'll surpass IA5 but do under or around $100M. The trailers for it got worse after each one. 

Jumanji however could be the Sing to Coco's Moana. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

JL is looking to draw in a lot more families and kids than most big mid November movies but the two should coexist.

Ferdinand is probably going to be Blue Sky's second lowest grossing. It'll surpass IA5 but do under or around $100M. The trailers for it got worse after each one. 

Jumanji however could be the Sing to Coco's Moana. 

Justice League is coming five days earlier, and if it gets "poor reviews", then it probably won't affect Coco too much, unless it has a massive opening weekend or turns out to be very well-received, in which case Coco could wind up opening at #2. Jumanji definitely has potential breakout status though by that point Coco will have probably made of its box office. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Coco looks bad 

Yeah, I'm really not feeling it. I got the new trailer today at Ninjago, and it looks..... ok? It's not really connoting any excitement from me, and considering it's releasing over Thanksgiving, I won't be rushing out to see it. Molly's Game and Death Wish (maybe an indie too please?) are more interesting at the moment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The premiere's a week before the Mexico so I reckon critics and bloggers will give their reaction around that time.

Should be interesting. I've heard sources say that Coco is Pixar's shortest film. Should be interesting to know if that's true, and whether or not it'll actually affect the film. 

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's releasing early in October in Mexico so I imagine Disney will use that to build the hype. 

So Coco is releasing at the right time in one country...why it couldn't be early October here, too, I have no idea, b/c it would have a nice barren month to itself for families (since it seems MLP is being dumped and Lego N won't be playing to much in 2 weeks)...but had to keep the Thanksgiving date no matter what, even if it gets caught in the JL backwash, ala everything last weekend in It's backwash...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Paramount leaning into the controversy 

DKWBED3VAAAC3Z-?format=jpg

That's actually a pretty cool poster (although they should have chosen a different quote than horrific). I wish the actual movie was that good. RLM summed up a lot of my thoughts on that one...but to anyone who loved this movie here, I'm not bashing it. 

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So Coco is releasing at the right time in one country...why it couldn't be early October here, too, I have no idea, b/c it would have a nice barren month to itself for families (since it seems MLP is being dumped and Lego N won't be playing to much in 2 weeks)...but had to keep the Thanksgiving date no matter what, even if it gets caught in the JL backwash, ala everything last weekend in It's backwash...

Because Disney likes to hog that Thanksgiving spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The Exorcist in my opinion is probably the most overhyped movie of all time. There's nothing remotely scary about it in my opinion. It's just a devil having a bad day. Didn't scare me in the least. So yes horror movies and what scares people in general is always subjective No Doubt.

Really? Horror movies don't do much to me but that one still unsettles me to this day. There's something about a demon possessing the soul of a little girl and how well the makeup, prosthethics and atmosphere is done. The way it's told in the film, that situation could happen in any house and not even a family with a large fortune (and fame) is out of bounds.

The scene where she crab walks down the stairs is so iconic for a reason. As a viewer I wouldn't want to get near her. And Tubular Bells added so much to the experience.

But I agree on the subjective thing.