WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

18 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It kinda sucks that shIT is the highest grossing horror movie given how not scary it is. At least The Exorcist earned that distinction by genuinely scaring the crap out of people. 

You always forget that fear is subjective. 

:rolleyes:

What a daft comment to make. What others find scary you might not. Deal with it. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Reel FX are doing the animation for Scooby and they previously did the fantastic Looney Tunes CGI shorts for WB so I think if they can capture the look of Scooby Doo and the gang in CGI much like Blue Sky did with Peanuts then they'll be over the first hurdle. 

Of course Scooby was never known for its "great animation", but I do think this new animated film could feature some great monster designs, which was always one of Scooby's strongest aspects. 

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This seems fine if not meh.

7 hours ago, Nova said:

There's no way to spin this. That mid night number isn't exactly a good one. But to be honest, I'm not surprised. I didn't see much hype for this movie and that's saying something because the first one was pretty well liked. 

I wouldn't be shocked if this missed $35M 

6 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

holy shit, that is a big preview # for Kingsman.  45M weekend looks possible.

6 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

It's really not. 

6 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

So basically, Kingsman 2 is following the Maze Runner franchise trajectory.

I called it LOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

Now what should I predict next...what big movie will disappoint.....i wanna say a little movie coming in December but the fanbase of that is fucking obnoxious. Before they jump go check out my reviews for previous 2 movies in that franchise.  

I personally saw no hype for Kingsman, nor felt any.  However I disagree with the morning reactions to Kingsman's mid-September preview #.  That 3.4 million blew me away!  It doubled Magnificent Seven which had 1.75 and a 35 weekend.  Other than It, I think this is the highest Thursday preview for September BY FAR. 

• Like 1

Spoiler
6 hours ago, Blankments said:

Here @WrathOfHan

13x:

Kingsman: The Golden Circle: Alien: Covenant, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, Dunkirk IMAX, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, Logan Lucky, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Dunkirk Round 2, The Dark Tower, The Hitman’s Bodyguard

10x:

Geostorm: Kong: Skull Island, Life, Wonder Woman, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, Transformers: The Last Knight, 47 Meters Down, The Big Sick Round 2, Megan Leavey

Flatliners: The Glass Castle, Annabelle: Creation, Logan Lucky, Good Time, 47 Meters Down, The Dark Tower, Wind River, It, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, mother!

8x:

Pitch Perfect 3: Baby Driver, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, The Big Sick, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, The Big Sick Round 2, Girls Trip
American Made: The Book of Henry, Beatriz at Dinner, Dunkirk IMAX, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, Detroit, Logan Lucky, Megan Leavey, The Hitman’s Bodyguard
Blade Runner 2049: Wonder Woman, Dunkirk IMAX, The Glass Castle, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, Good Time, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Dunkirk Round 2, mother!

7x:

Justice League: Dunkirk IMAX, Wonder Woman Round 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, Detroit, Dunkirk Round 2, It, The Hitman’s Bodyguard

6x:

Ferdinand: The Boss Baby, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Captain Underpants, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, The Emoji Movie
The Mountain Between Us: Wonder Woman Round 3, The Glass Castle, Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Brigsby Bear, Girls Trip

5x:

The Foreigner: Baby Driver, Detroit, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Dunkirk Round 2, The Dark Tower
A Bad Moms Christmas: The Big Sick, Atomic Blonde, Annabelle: Creation, Girls Trip, It
Coco: Beauty and the Beast, Beauty and the Beast Round 2, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast 1991

4x:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Dunkirk IMAX
The LEGO Ninjago Movie: The LEGO Batman Movie, The Boss Baby, Despicable Me 3, The Emoji Movie
Thor: Ragnarok: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Wonder Woman Round 3, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D
Daddy’s Home 2: Transformers: The Last Knight, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, The Big Sick Round 2, Girls Trip
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Free Fire, A Ghost Story, Good Time, Wind River
Murder on the Orient Express: Wonder Woman, It Comes At Night, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, It
The Snowman: Atomic Blonde, Dunkirk Round 2, Wind River, mother!

3x:

My Little Pony: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Captain Underpants, The Emoji Movie
Battle of the Sexes: The Book of Henry, Beatriz at Dinner, Brigsby Bear
Death Wish: Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D
Thank You for Your Service: A Ghost Story, The Glass Castle, The Dark Tower
Happy Death Day: Annabelle: Creation, 47 Meters Down, It
Suburbicon: Good Time, Wind River, mother!

Reveal hidden contents

What does this stuff mean?  @Blankments

Edited by Matrix4You
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Considering it hasn't been selling much, there's very little difference. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

any talks at your theater about shutting down 3D?  It's always the animated movies that get 3D, and no one is going to pay for all that with the kids.   I saw headlines for an article about how Kingsman being in IMAX 2D might help stop 3D.

• Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Of course Scooby was never known for its "great animation", but I do think this new animated film could feature some great monster designs, which was always one of Scooby's strongest aspects. 

Mystery Incorporated and the 90s DTV had the best monster designs and monsters in general IMO although I have a soft spot for the 1969 monsters like Miner 49'er and Phantom Shadows. I think a good compromise would be somewhere in the middle. 

1 hour ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Kingsman will likely do $16.5-$17.3 million OD with an opening weekend of between $41-$44 million. IT will most likely be number two with Saturday matinees with $30-$32 million as counter-programming. Ninjago will more likely have a Saturday and Sunday boost but nothing else with a debut between $29-$31 million, and play ok for families. Keep in mind these aren't from any website these are just my guesses at the moment. 

and they are the correct guesses

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You always forget that fear is subjective. 

:rolleyes:

What a daft comment to make. What others find scary you might not. Deal with it. 

Well then I hope to never to see you share your opinion on any movie here because it's all subjective and therefore "daft." 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Mystery Incorporated and the 90s DTV had the best monster designs and monsters in general IMO although I have a soft spot for the 1969 monsters like Miner 49'er and Phantom Shadows. I think a good compromise would be somewhere in the middle. 

The Scooby Doo Show had the best overall monsters designs IMO since they went to some far-out more original places in terms of designs, think The Tar Monster, 10000 Volt Ghost, Skeleton Men, The Snow Beast (probably the monster that freaked me out the most as a kid since he was humongous), The Creepy Heap For The Deep, The Future Monster etc... I think taking inspiration from that particular series would be great. I also love the monsters from the DTD "real films" from the 90's though. Also having The Gang be detectives specifically would be another good idea, as opposed to teens that just stumble into the mystery. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

any talks at your theater about shutting down 3D?  It's always the animated movies that get 3D, and no one is going to pay for all that with the kids.   I saw headlines for an article about how Kingsman being in IMAX 2D might help stop 3D.

Over here, kids movies normally get 3D removed after 2-3 weeks (The Nut Job 2 had it removed in its second weekend); it's basically just a way to take advantage of people who didn't get into the 2D shows. Live action blockbusters are more hit or miss (hello Excel sheet!):

6 weeks: SMH

5 weeks: Boss Baby, GOTG, POTC

4 weeks: BATB

3 weeks: Apes, Cars, DM3, Emoji, Mummy, Transformers, Valerian (entire run), WW

2 weeks: Captain Underpants, T23D (entire run), Resident Evil (entire run), Underworld (entire run), xXx

1 week: The Nut Job

• Like 2