WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

55 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not sure that's the best comparison - that was a critically well-received, audience well-received premiere work that didn't gender-skew much from 8 years ago...vs a male-skewing spin-off that is not being as critically or audience well-received...I see Captain Underpants more than Cloudy...CU had a $7.3M real Friday on the way to $23.8M (or $23.15M without the Thursday preview number of $650K)...that multiplier 23.15/7.3 would be about 3.17X and would give Lego $26.31M...I might give it another million or two...but $30M shouldn't be a given off that $8.3M number...

Underpants was in the summer. September animated films jump like 55-65% from Friday.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

WAG needs to do better if it doesn't want to be the next SPA. 

WAG will be fine, they had a critical acclaim film this year with Lego Batman and it was a hit, they're likely to do what SPA failed to do this year and have another $100m+ domestic grosser. Ninjago isn't so hot critically but that's not going to damage them in the short term. They just need to have their next few films to be decent and do well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

WAG will be fine, they had a critical acclaim film this year with Lego Batman and it was a hit, they're likely to do what SPA failed to do this year and have another $100m+ domestic grosser. Ninjago isn't so hot critically but that's not going to damage them in the short term. They just need to have their next few films to be decent and do well. 

Their marketing is only slightly better than say SPA. Ninjago had shit marketing and I have been aggressively stanning for it. I don't think Smallfoot is doing $100M, Lego 2 might not do $200M, and Scooby although $100M can happen has a lot riding on it.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think while the plot was a little lacking and it could have easily lost the bits with Nate and his family, it has so many gags that you could forgive those niggles.

Yeah, the plot's a bit convoluted, but the gags make it work.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Their marketing is only slightly better than say SPA. Ninjago had shit marketing and I have been aggressively stanning for it. I don't think Smallfoot is doing $100M, Lego 2 might not do $200M, and Scooby although $100M can happen has a lot riding on it.

With $60-80m budgets, they don't need huge grosses to be successful but I do think the marketing could improve although Lego Batman did have good marketing.

The animation market is oversaturated so I think WB could see what went right with other WB films like IT and Wonder Woman and apply it to the WAG films. Smallfoot does need to improve on Storks' numbers just so we can have a successful non Lego film from WAG.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yeah, the plot's a bit convoluted, but the gags make it work.

IMO Storks should be the template for future WAG films rather than say Lego Batman which was great but was a bit pop culture heavy whereas Storks got the balance of story and gags right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

With $60-80m budgets, they don't need huge grosses to be successful but I do think the marketing could improve although Lego Batman did have good marketing.

The animation market is oversaturated so I think WB could see what went right with other WB films like IT and Wonder Woman and apply it to the WAG films. Smallfoot does need to improve on Storks' numbers just so we can have a successful non Lego film from WAG.

Again. SPA is doing well with $50M-$60M budgets with near $200M WW grosses with Lost Village and Emoji. However but their future is looking grim. They need to up their marketing. You can't have foreign only doing $100M with $100M domestic for animation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Again. SPA is doing well with $50M-$60M budgets with near $200M WW grosses with Lost Village and Emoji. However but their future is looking grim. They need to up their marketing. You can't have foreign only doing $100M with $100M domestic for animation.

SPA made a rod for their own backs with their last two films. WAG's issue is that the Lego films are too American centric hence why don't do great OS but on the domestic side apart from Storks, they've done very well. If they can find a way to make their films more appealing to OS audience without sacrificing what worked well in their last few films then we could see an increase in the OS grosses.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

IMO Storks should be the template for future WAG films rather than say Lego Batman which was great but was a bit pop culture heavy whereas Storks got the balance of story and gags right. 

Storks also wasn't as "hyperactive" as Lego Batman was either. It was more balanced. It would be a good formula for WAG to follow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

SPA made a rod for their own backs with their last two films. WAG's issue is that the Lego films are too American centric hence why don't do great OS but on the domestic side apart from Storks, they've done very well. If they can find a way to make their films more appealing to OS audience without sacrificing what worked well in their last few films then we could see an increase in the OS grosses.

Lego is the only one we can say did well domestic. Lego Batman although did good for a spinoff, it was below most expectations. Ninjago although I think is going to scrape by $30M OW and $100M DOM, is even worse, and although it's okay for a spinoff, they botched the marketing.

WAG needs better marketing.

• Like 1