kyky

BOX OFFICE: Noon Numbers Show ‘Act Of Valor’ #1, ‘Good Deeds’ #2, ‘Wanderlust’ #5

I just got back from Act of Valor, at Green Hills Shawn, and the theater was about 85% full. I was a bit worried cause there were lots of teens and during the 'On the 20' and Previews they were chatty. It got pretty reverent in there once it got going. It took a good 30min for the movie to establish where it was going but as I said on my Twitter: The movie was better than it had any right to be.The action was great, the acting...well, they are soldiers, trained to be emotionless for the most part so you get what you pay for there.

Watching the endless commercials for AoV, they kept on showing that military trope shot of the mother/wife standing in the door of the innocent small house while a soldier leaves and or arrives with a death notice. This was in SPR, obviously, and is also in, like, every single country music video idolizing the military. So, I don't understand how if people are supposedly horrified of military deaths and try to downplay the numbers (which are a just a tiny, tiny fraction of Vietnam or WW2 or anything else) such as with the supposed controversy about pictures of coffins, then how come the government's own programs always show shots implying there was a military death? Anyway, nobody ever makes movies with fake tears celebrating men who, ya know, build and create shit in the private sector - even though more of them die every single year than have died in the entire decade-plus Iraq, uh, "war".

I just got back from Act of Valor, at Green Hills Shawn, and the theater was about 85% full. I was a bit worried cause there were lots of teens and during the 'On the 20' and Previews they were chatty. It got pretty reverent in there once it got going.

Not to get religious, but saying the audience is "reverent" of the U.S. government is idolatry. (Not that Americans mind abject idolatry and heresy if the false idol works for the military or police department.)

How was Act of Valor financed, since its stars were active government employees? Does that mean it's a taxpayer financed movie? If so, shouldn't admission be free since we already paid for it?

Not everyone in the movie is an active duty Seal. There are actual actors in there as as well. The movie was written and directed by two former movie stunt men. It took them 2 years to film because they had to stop a number of times due to the Seals being called away. Luckily, they all came back every time.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who dares putting up RS tracking again on this site..RS: Act of valor~ high single digitsreal estimation~ almost 30F**K RS... You are worthless at predicting.. Worthless

• Like 1

1. Act Of Valor (Relativity) NEW [3,039 Theaters]

Friday $9.4, Est Weekend $27M

2. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds (Lionsgate) NEW [2,132 Theaters]

Friday $6.3M, Est Weekend: $17.5M

3. The Vow (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 3 [3,038 Theaters]

Friday $3.2M, Est Weekend $9.7M, Est Cume $101.9M

4. Safe House (Universal) Week 3 [3,052 Theaters]

Friday $3.1M, Est Weekend $10.3M, Est Cume $96.6M

5. Journey 2 3D (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,350 Theaters]

Friday $3.0M, Est Weekend $12.5M, Est Cume $77.2M

6. This Means War (Fox) Week 2 [3,189 Theaters]

Friday $2.8M, Est Weekend $9M, Est Cume $33.2M

7. Ghost Rider 2 3D (Sony) Week 2 [3,174 Theaters]

Friday $2.3M (-66%), Est Weekend $8M, Est Cume $36.3M

8. Wanderlust (Universal) NEW [2,002 Theaters]

Friday $2.5M, Est Weekend $7M

9. Gone (Summit) NEW [2,186 Theaters]

Friday $1.7M, Est Weekend $4.6M

10. Secret World Of Arrietty (Disney) Week 2 [1,522 Theaters]

Friday $1.1M, Est Weekend $5M, Est Cume $14.2M

Not everyone in the movie is an active duty Seal. There are actual actors in there as as well. The movie was written and directed by two former movie stunt men. It took them 2 years to film because they had to stop a number of times due to the Seals being called away. Luckily, they all came back every time.

Yeah, but anyway, it sounds like it was financed by my tax dollars. So people: you paid for this movie whether you liked it or not. (And if you DON'T pay, the the IRS sends men with guns into your home to put you in chains and throw you in a cage. Way to go, U.S.A. government!)As far as the Navy SEALs being in danger....they're really not. The per capita death rate in the military is tiny, only nobody sings songs or pretends to cry at football games for all the fatalities from the good men in the private sector who build and create shit who have higher per capita death rates. (And, as far as I can tell, the overwhelming majority of military deaths are from fratricides and accidents, just the same as it is with cops. People love believing that it's like in the movies, but it ain't.)

Box Office Buzz had AoV at $15 million just five days before its release

I saw high-teens and twenties wherever I looked. Watch out for the high-ball estimates, too. This happened a few weeks ago w/ TPM being estimated at 30+ and everybody was all over its nuts Friday night. Then it went down, down, down 'til settling at a limp 22m by Monday. Wouldn't be surprised if a similar phenomenon happens with this taxpayer-financed celebration of the U.S.A. government.

Yeah, but anyway, it sounds like it was financed by my tax dollars.So people: you paid for this movie whether you liked it or not. (And if you DON'T pay, the the IRS sends men with guns into your home to put you in chains and throw you in a cage. Way to go, U.S.A. government!)As far as the Navy SEALs being in danger....they're really not. The per capita death rate in the military is tiny, only nobody sings songs or pretends to cry at football games for all the fatalities from the good men in the private sector who build and create shit who have higher per capita death rates. (And, as far as I can tell, the overwhelming majority of military deaths are from fratricides and accidents, just the same as it is with cops. People love believing that it's like in the movies, but it ain't.)

Dude, I find it off-putting too, but I don't think it's necessary in a movie forum to get on a soapbox about it. Edited by tribefan695

• Founder / Operator

I just got back from Act of Valor, at Green Hills Shawn, and the theater was about 85% full. I was a bit worried cause there were lots of teens and during the 'On the 20' and Previews they were chatty. It got pretty reverent in there once it got going. It took a good 30min for the movie to establish where it was going but as I said on my Twitter: The movie was better than it had any right to be.The action was great, the acting...well, they are soldiers, trained to be emotionless for the most part so you get what you pay for there.

Great to hear, Craig. I'm curious to check it out myself, hopefully will find time to soon.Another great start to this weekend even if these numbers are still early. 2012 continues to roll.