YM!

Ron's Gone Wrong | October 22nd, 2021 | 20th Century/Locksmith

6 hours ago, CJ Chapek said:

People seem to have mostly moved on. We have 87% of our total population vaxxed. The number of new daily cases is low. Restaurants, bars, discos, are back to the old numbers. Theaters don't seem to be getting the same kind of recovery. The habits changed and I think people will just see movies at home and do other activities when outside.

Well Godspeed, theatres in Portugal. That's truly unfortunate.

So, saw the movie tonight...and I'm so mad at Disney b/c the damn thing is amazing, and is by far my favorite animated of the year...

My spouse, the one who hates kids films, gave it an A-.

My older teen girls gave it an A-.

My boys gave it an A.

I gave it a B+, but really, once the "Terminator" references kick in after a slowish start, this movie is an A.  2 of the funniest scenes I have seen all year are in this film.  It's the best release of this weekend, it should have been the spotlight Thanksgiving release, and here's hoping WOM gets out and it gets there.

For those wondering, this is nothing like Big Hero 6...again, the funniest parts have more in common with Terminator and Mad Max...but it's SO modern, with messaging perfect for the times, and heartfelt and yet hilarious.

So, now if this bombs, I'm legit mad at Disney b/c Fox has made my 2 favorite movies this year - Free Guy and Ron's Gone Wrong, and they tried their best to bury them both...here's hoping Ron sneaks out and finds fans like Free Guy did...although I mentioned to the kids maybe Disney wants this to bomb b/c it's too close to their Xmas toy product line plans of the future,,,

• Like 1

Disney don't give a fuck about this movie, usually I wouldn't buy into the rhetoric but the studio that made this has signed a deal with Warner to distribute their slate years ago at this point, so if the movie succeeds or not is very short term for them and has no long term implications.

source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/warner-bros-pact-elisabeth-murdoch-locksmith-animation-1203389453/

44 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Disney don't give a fuck about this movie, usually I wouldn't buy into the rhetoric but the studio that made this has signed a deal with Warner to distribute their slate years ago at this point, so if the movie succeeds or not is very short term for them and has no long term implications.

source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/warner-bros-pact-elisabeth-murdoch-locksmith-animation-1203389453/

I feel as if the only reason  this thing was even at Fox was because Rupert Murdoch's daughter owns the animation studio. 

I feel like this would've bombed even without the merger and 'Rona. It has absolutely no hook whatsoever. No ambitious premise, no big brand to serve as an easy entry point, no big stars... Just nothing. It looks like one of the most sterile and generic movies ever made.

@AJG does raise a good point. One of the founders is a Murdoch, and I feel like that's the sole reason their studio even got off the ground in the first place. I wonder how far that gets them in the years ahead, because Ron is basically a tax writeoff at this point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I feel like this would've bombed even without the merger and 'Rona. It has absolutely no hook whatsoever. No ambitious premise, no big brand to serve as an easy entry point, no big stars... Just nothing. It looks like one of the most sterile and generic movies ever made.

@AJG does raise a good point. One of the founders is a Murdoch, and I feel like that's the sole reason their studio even got off the ground in the first place. I wonder how far that gets them in the years ahead, because Ron is basically a tax writeoff at this point.

Yeah but that being said, I would like to know just for kicks how this would have done in a prime release spot. Let's say there was no Encanto and this got November 24, or the old Shrek spot in mid May. I don't know, I feel like this had a little more potential, albeit not THAT much.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Mentioned this earlier in the D+ thread but the HBO/Fox deal that was signed 10 years ago that they had no choice but to wait until it was finished to fully get the rights to their movies meant Avatar 2 would've barely missed being put on D+ after it left theaters under that deal so they probably did this to secure the rights for it and some other choice movies. FWIW this movie, Free Guy, and West Side Story are the only 20th Century movies this year that played or will be playing at Disney's El Capitan Theatre so one has to imagine the plan was to get all those movies on D+ eventually all along (looks like Free Guy will be an HBO exclusive for its initial pay TV run under these conditions though).

• Like 1