Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: BOM || Happy Death Day: $26.5M || Blade Runner: $15.1M || The Foreigner: $12.8M || IT: $6M || Annabelle: Creation at $300m WW

If my personal awards were held right now:

Picture: mother!

Director: Aronofsky

Actor: Renner

Actress: JLaw

Supporting Actor: Poulter

Supporting Actress: Pfeiffer

Original Screenplay: The Big Sick or Get Out (dunno which one)
Adapted Screenplay: Blade Runner 2049

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Steve Carrell is bad in Battle of the Sexes and also bad in the Big Sick and Foxcatcher. He's a good actor. He's not good at the things he has been trying to do for the past few years that apparently made him more "credible" than when he was killing it playing a normal non obnoxious human being/Brick Tamland.

I thought he was v good in The Big Short *shrug*

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Steve Carrell is bad in Battle of the Sexes and also bad in the Big Sick and Foxcatcher. He's a good actor. He's not good at the things he has been trying to do for the past few years that apparently made him more "credible" than when he was killing it playing a normal non obnoxious human being/Brick Tamland.

i actually like him a lot in foxcatcher (from the bad best actor line-up that year he'd be my pick) but he's legit terrible in the big short. people here hyped that performance so much for a month before it got released here. like they thought he was guaranteed a nomination. oooof. no good!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

You can tell me you think McAvoy was better than Kaluuya and I'll look the other way and pretend I didn't here you for your sake 

He's good but not even the best performance in the movie. I can't think of a scene where I'd go, "Kaluuya was great in that scene!" He doesn't really have a standout moment like Allison Williams, Catherine Keener, or Lil Rel.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Knock It Off 1

I think the Big Sick is a very well directed and scripted movie but Carrell is essentially playing his Dinner for Schmucks character straight. It's fucking awful. Christian Bale is bad too, very ticky and annoying. And Brad Pitt is boring as hell bad. Ryan Gosling, as usual, is great. Best actor in the movie easily.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

He's good but not even the best performance in the movie. I can't think of a scene where I'd go, "Kaluuya was great in that scene!" He doesn't really have a standout moment like Allison Williams or Catherine Keener.

is it even possible to have a worse take on the performances from that movie than this? genuinely curious.

• Like 2

fuck if we're doing this:

Picture - Blade Runner 2049

Actor - Hugh Jackman in Logan

Actress - Anne Hathaway in Colossal

Supporting Actor - Patrick Stewart in Logan or Jake Gyllenhaal in Okja

Supporting Actress - Allison Williams in Get Out or Ana de Armas in Blade Runner

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

90+mil is a terrible number for a film that cost 150-200mil. The budget was just too damn high. 

It is, but I'm saying in relativeness to the OW. Close to a 3x to a rather anti-commercial like 2049 is quite good. Too bad that the budget had to be enormous. At least the movie is doing okay overseas (158M WW as of now, iirc, with China and Japan left to open..... although Ghost In The Shell bombed in those countries, so what can we expect?).

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

fuck if we're doing this:

Picture - Blade Runner 2049

Actor - Hugh Jackman in Logan

Actress - Anne Hathaway in Colossal

Supporting Actor - Patrick Stewart in Logan or Jake Gyllenhaal in Okja

Supporting Actress - Allison Williams in Get Out or Ana de Armas in Blade Runner

Hathaway was incredible in Colossal. So was the lead male.

• Thanks 1