Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

6 hours ago, That One Guy said:

The ignore button should work, except the discussion that is most frequently present in the weekend threads are the ones caused by the people I'd put on ignore, and everyone (including users who have completely good intentions) will quote the users who I don't want to see, and they'll quote them, and it all spirals out of control until it's nothing but toxicity plaguing the discussion.  It's fucking impossible to get a good discussion in the weekend threads going about anything that's not related to a franchise.  It's so boring and mind-numbing.

Don't go please

It does make me laugh that Empire would go for the old clichés about nerds living in their moms' basements and shit all while he puts himself on full display as a middle-aged man ranting at teenagers on the internet because of a trailer for an animated movie. Shame it had to lead to this though. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Seeing long time members who are some of my favorites contemplate leaving upsets me.

I'm already struggling with lack of Tele's presence. I'm not sure I can cope with ToG going

Pink's only been posting his summer game answers for the past couple of weeks too. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

seriously though, banning people like Lordmandeep would be one of the best things for the site. can't go into a star wars thread without people like him repeating how they didn't like TLJ over and over and over and over

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be back to proclaiming that nobody goes to the movies unless it's for blockbusters or that the Academy Awards are out of date cause they don't nominate flavor-of-the-month $100M+ films that no one will be watching in ten months, let alone in ten years, soon enough.

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be back to proclaiming that nobody goes to the movies unless it's for blockbusters or that the Academy Awards are out of date cause they don't nominate flavor-of-the-month $100M+ films that no one will be watching in ten months, let alone in ten years, soon enough.

True. Too bad we have 90 other posters like him

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Today is the day I give in and abandon my principles.

Today is the day I download Fortnite.

You missed the Thanos event. Sad!

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I should probably clarify myself a bit before logging off for good.  It's not just EmpireCity that's making me want to not be on the forums.  Most conversations in general on here have become repetitive and toxic.  It's the same discussion points over and over.  Marvel, Star Wars, superhero, Disney, rinse and repeat.  There's so many other users on the forums who bother me and I just don't want to engage in any of it right now.  It's exhausting.  I can do so much other shit in life than waste my time reading the same garbage over and over and trying to rationalize with people who never wanted to engage rationally in the first place.

I'll still be on Telegram if you want to talk to me.

Not sure if you're still reading, but I've enjoyed our animated movie discussions in the past...I somehow missed all of last night, but I'm hoping a little sleep and distance has let you see that lots of folks still love having you here and are hoping you'll be back (see, us older fogies don't actually use Telegram b/c that'd be like one more social media account to monitor and there's only so many we can handle without our brains exploding:)...

PS - Dax, I'm gonna thank you all month for these likes, b/c who knew that a Tuesday morning would need so many b/c so many good posts were in this thread:)...

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

nevermind lol 

I sort of realize I would say the same points but frankly, If I hold my opinions to be true, the reality of the situation will one day make you realize you are wrong or that I am wrong. 

Reading the last pages is a tad upsetting. In my opinion, the biggest issue from 10-15 years ago on these forums is that a lot of discussions have a political or social undertone attached to them and that massively increases the heat of the debate. 

But frankly I can understand SW and DC threads being a dumpster fire but a Wreck it Ralph thread? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I repeat them because they are correct?

Oscar ratings went down huge this year and I doubt avg person on the street can even name who won best pic this year which I dont think was an issue even a decade ago.

I cant remember what won best pic or what got nominated. Oscar movies tend to cease existing the moment the oscars are over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Oscars are irrelevant and have been for some time. Best Picture hasn't been a proper popular film (at least DOM) since Return of the King - and I only know that because I just googled the list of winners. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

The Oscars are irrelevant and have been for some time. Best Picture hasn't been a proper popular film (at least DOM) since Return of the King - and I only know that because I just googled the list of winners. 

The issue is ten years ago the debate would be over ratings and box office about the relevancy of the Oscars but now such an opinion has a political undertone about being against "liberal Hollywood" or standing up the "alt Right". 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, Ranger Tree said:

I mean, five BP winners post ROTK made 100M.