Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

38 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I might have changed my mind. :ph34r:

Gotta say thought, I'm sad as hell it was Kershaw who coughed up the lead. I genuinely like him, both as a player and a person.  It's not hyperbole to say that he is probably my favorite Dodger I've personally seen play.

And as a Giants/Astros fan that is mighty high praise.  

I also have always thought that the playoff choker label was waaaaaay overblown.  So it actually pains me to see him give up back to back game tying homers.

Not enough to want to see the Dodgers come back and win, mind (though clearly they still are favored in this game going forward).  But I'm still sad to see it was Kershaw, as I genuinely love him as a player. :(

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

But I'm still sad to see it was Kershaw, as I genuinely love him as a player. :(

Of course, if the resident Dodger fans on this board want to consider this a curse and why he's been unlucky in the playoffs... Well, I won't feel that bad at taking that burden. ;)

Edited by Porthos

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Gotta say thought, I'm sad as hell it was Kershaw who coughed up the lead. I genuinely like him, both as a player and a person.  It's not hyperbole to say that he is probably my favorite Dodger I've personally seen play.

And as a Giants/Astros fan that is mighty high praise.  

I also have always thought that the playoff choker label was waaaaaay overblown.  So it actually pains me to see him give up back to back game tying homers.

Not enough to want to see the Dodgers come back and win, mind (though clearly they still are favored in this game going forward).  But I'm still sad to see it was Kershaw, as I genuinely love him as a player. :(

EGfPnFiWwAAkW9I?format=jpg&name=small

• Disbelief 1

Must be getting soft in my old age, as even I can feel that was a BRUH-TAL way to lose.  Sincere and heartfelt sympathies on a personal level to @Plain Old Tele and @Water Bottle.

On the other hand, if there was ANY team that deserved to get some playoff karma, it was the Nationals, who were, if anything even more snakebit than the Dodgers.  Really happy to see them proceed.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 10:11 PM, belligerent talking robot said:

hope.  everyone saw 9/11.  I hope everyone saw 9/11.  

we hope the target audience will be experienced by everyone

When I wrote “target audience”, I was referring to the fact that movies are either pitched or thought of to be for a certain demographic. “Spotlight” or “Schindler’s list” are not movies just for “Adults”, and “Winnie the Pooh” and “Dumbo” are not “kids movies”, we sometimes assume that based on stereotypes society placed on perception of life

3 hours ago, Melosh said:

When I wrote “target audience”, I was referring to the fact that movies are either pitched or thought of to be for a certain demographic. “Spotlight” or “Schindler’s list” are not movies just for “Adults”, and “Winnie the Pooh” and “Dumbo” are not “kids movies”, we sometimes assume that based on stereotypes society placed on perception of life

I hope not

On 10/9/2019 at 3:11 AM, belligerent talking robot said:

hope.  everyone saw 9/11.  I hope everyone saw 9/11.  

we hope the target audience will be experienced by everyone

I was in school when that happened and most kids just thought it looked cool. 

5 hours ago, Melosh said:

I dont know any kids who would enjoy watching 'spotlight' or 'Schindler's list' just like I dont know any adults who would care for 'Winnie the Pooh' or 'Dumbo' unless they are taking their children to see it. So I'd say you are wrong there

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

He looked sad as hell about it too. It's definitely a bummer that the man who is a dominant, no-doubt hall-of-famer has had such a rough postseason performance.

I still feel like I tripped into one of the weird parallel realities with the Nationals and the Cardinals being this year's NLCS matchup. I half-expected one of the two to upset their competitors, but not both. I guess we'll see whether the Rays have similar magic up their sleeve tonight.

4 hours ago, Chucky said:

I dont know any kids who would enjoy watching 'spotlight' or 'Schindler's list' just like I dont know any adults who would care for 'Winnie the Pooh' or 'Dumbo' unless they are taking their children to see it. So I'd say you are wrong there

Movies is a piece of life up on the screen presented in story mode, right? So I believe films should be perceived that way  regardless of any stereotypical mindset that we were brought up with.So when I write that “Spotlight” and “Schindler’s list” are not just “for adults”, I’m writing what I believe to be a fact that those films and other films  with that similar of a tone in its content, is films that may have what we believe is uncomfortable content for children, but it’s still just films that are commenting or showing an aspect of life. So regardless if children like it, or we want them  to like it, it’s not a film with “adult” content.One  million children were killed in the holocaust regardless if we feel it’s suitable for them or not, so life is life, and films should be understood to be a reflection of that.

Edited by Melosh

1 hour ago, Melosh said:

Movies is a piece of life up on the screen presented in story mode, right? So I believe films should be perceived that way  regardless of any stereotypical mindset that we were brought up with.So when I write that “Spotlight” and “Schindler’s list” are not just “for adults”, I’m writing what I believe to be a fact that those films and other films  with that similar of a tone in its content, is films that may have what we believe is uncomfortable content for children, but it’s still just films that are commenting or showing an aspect of life. So regardless if children like it, or we want them  to like it, it’s not a film with “adult” content.One  million children were killed in the holocaust regardless if we feel it’s suitable for them or not, so life is life, and films should be understood to be a reflection of that.

Sometimes you see films with that superfluous sex scene or characters just swearing so much in an unnatural way. Probably  because the filmmaker feels that  he’s in the “adult” playground so he CAN put that in there.Instead of approaching a film with “how can I show a feeling of life up on the screen” you see filmmakers approaching it from “what tone am I putting up on the screen”, such a mindset leaves some films feeling like a stereotype rather then real life.

Edited by Melosh

4 minutes ago, Melosh said:

Sometimes you see films with that superfluous sex scene or characters just swearing so much in an unnatural way. Probably  because the filmmaker feels that  he’s in the “adult” playground so he CAN put that in there.Instead of approaching a film with “how can I show a feeling of life up on the screen” you see filmmakers approaching it from “what tone am I putting up on the screen”, such a mindset leaves some films feeling like a stereotype rather then real life.

Now when it comes to films that we call “kids movies” they’re not, they’re just films that happen to not have an over abundance of violence,sex,etc. If there’s films that FEEL like it was made for children that’s the filmmakers doing of not accurately portraying life up on the screen.