Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

18 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Starting to? 🧐

Understatement Definition

An understatement is a figure of speech employed by writers or speakers to intentionally make a situation seem less important than it really is.

For example, you win 10 million dollars in a lottery. When you tell a news reporter “I am delighted,” you are making an understatement. Similarly, suppose a team loses to its opponent 50 to 0 in a soccer match, and the captain of the team says in a post-match ceremony, “We did not do well,” it is an understatement because he is trying to decrease the intensity of the loss.

An understatement usually has an ironic effect, as an equally intense response is expected in severe situations, but the statement in response is the opposite of what was expected. For instance, your friend returns your new coat with a large wine stain on the front of it. In response, you make an understatement, “It doesn’t look too bad.” Therefore, an understatement is opposite to another figure of speech, hyperbole, which is an overstatement.

;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

By the way.  I just have one thing to say about the end of the Yanks-Stros game last night:

Ball.

Don't.

Lie.

I thought I was going to be more productive today without a game, but instead I'm less productive because I can't stop watching that replay.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't think this deserves its own thread, but does anyone know what the last major movie was to have a midnight opening show? The last one I remember seeing was The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The early evening shows are certainly more convenient, but I still miss the excitement of a midnight show where all the screenings started at the same time and you knew that only the diehard fans (and insomniacs) were there.

Just now, Darth Homer said:

Don't think this deserves its own thread, but does anyone know what the last major movie was to have a midnight opening show? The last one I remember seeing was The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The early evening shows are certainly more convenient, but I still miss the excitement of a midnight show where all the screenings started at the same time and you knew that only the diehard fans (and insomniacs) were there.

Spider-Man: Far From Home this year.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

Not counting FFH which had a midnight this year, according to this chartDesolation of Smaug was the last major film in the DOM market to have midnights.  Before that was Man of Steel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

But yes, more Gargoyles please

I don't know if you saw the plans Greg Weisman had for it (not going to link to it in case it ever happens), but it was gonna get cray cray bananas including going centuries into the future and all sorts of nuttiness.