Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

ELon Musk: from Time Man Of The Year to a Joke Punchline in less then a year's time.

What amazed me is the Musk does not seem to get that he his making a fool of himself with these comments.

Edited by dudalb

7 hours ago, Torontofan said:

So glad twitter is falling apart 

Funny shit is all the pearl clutching that twitter needs to be protected to protect society....

I am like less relevance such social media sites have on society, its for the best? 

If  Musk had tried to run Space X the way he has Twitter. they never wouldhave gottan a single rocket off the ground.

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

If  Musk had tried to run Space X the way he has Twitter. they never wouldhave gottan a single rocket off the ground.

There 3 camps 

1. Musk is bad, how dare he take over our great Twitter

2. Musk is silly, hope he burns twitter to the ground as its toxic to society.

3. Musk is Goat, Twitter will be better then ever

I am in camp 2 lol XD 

I just find it really silly when I see huge big name politicans and people  who should be focusing on actual issues seem to be spending hours daily on twitter getting into petty arguements.

Edited by Torontofan

6 hours ago, Torontofan said:

2. Musk is silly, hope he burns twitter to the ground as its toxic to society.

I am in camp 2 lol XD 

To be fair, I think part of us all are in camp 2.  This is objectively hysterical.  Who doesn't love a good hubris got you in the end / hosted up by our own petard story.

The problem is Twitter, for better or worse, has become an integral part of our culture.  And for all of the people on there trying to spread lies and conspiracies, there are also as many using it for reporting news and promotions.  Now with this Blue Check fiasco, it's going to become even MORE easy for people to spread lies and conspiracies.  And regardless of what "side" you're on, that's very, very, very bad.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

38 minutes ago, Cap said:

To be fair, I think part of us all in camp 2.  This is objectively hysterical.  Who doesn't love a good hubris got you in the end / hosted up by our own petard story.

The problem is Twitter, for better or worse, has become an integral part of our culture.  And for all of the people on there trying to spread lies and conspiracies, there are also as many using it for reporting news and promotions.  Now with this Blue Check fiasco, it's going to become even MORE easy for people to spread lies and conspiracies.  And regardless of what "side" you're on, that's very, very, very bad.

I think if twitter becomes a joke then a lot of famous people and such will get off it and becomes irrelevant and localized like IG and snapchat and other apps are.  Like those apps have so much stuff going on but has limited effect on overall society politics and such. 

Like i never see news stories coming off from IG trends or what people say on there much even though IG has like 5 times the number of users. 

Edited by Torontofan

There are some good things about twitter, but it doesn't outweigh the bad.  It's the single biggest reason why discourse in this country has become so insanely toxic over the past 13 years.  Nuance and rationale doesn't get perpetually rewarded with crazy amounts of likes/retweets in the same way that conflict, confirmation bias, and sound bites do. 

And about the whole Blue Check change, yes its  kinda stupid and the only reason its being done is for monetization, but that's not the real reason why many Blue Check are so mad about it.  They're mad because a significant amount of them have built their entire identity/careers around being blue check'd on that app and now that's being taken away from them.

oh and lol @ Kathy Griffin and Ethan Klein getting themselves perma'd last night

• Like 1

I AM FUCKING SHAKING

Thank for his publicist. They finally got the mofo to agree to this.

Harry Styles and Pugh are having sex on my screen right now and I can’t take my eyes off him. 

guuuhhhhh

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

At this rate, I think this forum can buy Twitter for about 3.50$ next month

Does he not know people under 30 wont pay lol 

How many young people pay for news 

I think biggest issue about twitter is that it creates mob mentality. @Ozymandias

Like here in Toronto a black women jumped from a balcony to her death...Women was in distress cops came to talk her down from it... Family next day said "cops pushed her off cause they racist'...they got 100s of thousands of dollars and twitter spread the fake story like crazy and that cops pushed her off the balcony.

Truth was the family lied to cash on the current political climate. (oof)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Regis_Korchinski-Paquet

The major issue is not the story but a false narrative is put in peoples heads and not as many people will hear about the actual truth of the story. When people cant agree on facts or reality its impossibile to debate actual solutions to problems :(

This is why Twitter is so toxic and I have such a personal issue with it. Like i know such stories spread on IG too but feel they dont make it to the media as much. 

Edited by Torontofan

6 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Does he not know people under 30 wont pay lol 

How many young people pay for news 

I think biggest issue about twitter is that it creates mob mentality. @Ozymandias

Like here in Toronto a black women jumped from a balcony to her death...Women was in distress cops came to talk her down from it... Family next day said "cops pushed her off cause they racist'...they got 100s of thousands of dollars and twitter spread the fake story like crazy and that cops pushed her off the balcony.

Truth was the family lied to cash on the current political climate. (oof)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Regis_Korchinski-Paquet

The major issue is not the story but a false narrative is put in peoples heads and not as many people will hear about the actual truth of the story. When people cant agree on facts or reality its impossibile to debate actual solutions to problems :(

This is why Twitter is so toxic and I have such a personal issue with it. Like i know such stories spread on IG too but feel they dont make it to the media as much. 

That the basic issue; Musk has no idea how social media companies work.

You make the basic service free and make money from advertising and mabye selling some extra features.

I guess Musk thinks the can change the whole business model, but he delusional. Getting people to pay for something they have been getting for free is one of the toughest things in business.

I'm not one to reflexively reject relationships with huge age gaps or act like women under 25 are inherently helpless victims around men, but...

"Daughters" was released when she was 4! Guess he's got to go for women too young to remember "sexual napalm" and "Dear John" being released...

• Sad 1