Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 2/2/2024 at 9:57 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Went to my first filmmaking class and found out 90% of other people who are actually interested in working in this industry have like Fantastic Mr Fox or Forest Gump or La La Land as their favorite film of all time and have seen maybe 5 movies from before 1975.

Most movies made before 1960 aren't worth watching

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Just realized if Christopher Nolan does his usual thing of releasing a movie every three years, his next one will be on the day of the World Cup Final in 2026..

Last world cup final was Avatar 2's opening weekend. an auspicious sign.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Anyone watching the latest True Detective?  I just tapped out on the latest episode 4.  I just don't care, its a tediously trite self important mess with boring ass characters.  I’m not hate watching it because I was never invested in it enough to feel a sense of disappointment.

Worse than Season 2, at least that one is funny-bad and endlessly quotable as opposed to this dumb slog. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is this Kaia Gerber the new nepo-baby who is terrible in everything but still gets roles because she's a nepo-baby? Seeing her pop up more than I feel like she deserves to.

She's also been dating Austin Butler for two years so that probably helps. Cindy Crawford tried acting for a minute back in the day but wasn't very good at it. Unfortunate if Kaia takes after her mother that way...

Think the only thing I've actually seen Kaia Gerber in was Bottoms, where I suppose she was just fine but really didn't have much to do. Usually I like to think Nepo Baby as an insult should be reserved specifically for people who have been established as folks who nobody finds interesting whatsoever outside of who their parents are (see: Meghan McCain - being her father's daughter is literally the only thing people actually find fascinating about her).

43 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Anyone watching the latest True Detective?  I just tapped out on the latest episode 4.  I just don't care, its a tediously trite self important mess with boring ass characters.  I’m not hate watching it because I was never invested in it enough to feel a sense of disappointment.

Worse than Season 2, at least that one is funny-bad and endlessly quotable as opposed to this dumb slog. 

Waiting until it's done in a few weeks to start it on my Emmy Contenders 2024 catch up list.

Not sure if this is the popular opinion on here, but I think the last few years have been kind to TASM2. It's not "amazing" but especially with the quality of CBMs lately, the fact that the story never got proper closure, and Andrew's return in No Way Home, that people have started to look back a lot more fondly on that movie. I know I have. 

If Sony were smart (and if they're legally allowed) I would get a TASM3 off the ground as fast as possible, taking place after NWH (or before?). Get Tom Hardy in there, not saying it would be a billion-dollar movie, but it could come close. But the window for that is closing fast I think.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Think the only thing I've actually seen Kaia Gerber in was Bottoms, where I suppose she was just fine but really didn't have much to do. Usually I like to think Nepo Baby as an insult should be reserved specifically for people who have been established as folks who nobody finds interesting whatsoever outside of who their parents are (see: Meghan McCain - being her father's daughter is literally the only thing people actually find fascinating about her).

The broadest definition of "nepo baby" is "anyone whose parent(s) have a blue link on Wikipedia". Except Woody Harrelson, lol. He's got to make a movie with Nolan someday so they can bond about their allegedly sketchy family members.

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The broadest definition of "nepo baby" is "anyone whose parent(s) have a blue link on Wikipedia". Except Woody Harrelson, lol. He's got to make a movie with Nolan someday so they can bond about their allegedly sketchy family members.

Imagine he casts him in his next movie lol. Too bad, looking at his upcoming projects, Woody doesn't have any awards bait on the horizon cause Nolan usually pulls people out of the last awards cycle or two and we're about a year (or two) away from him casting his next movie.

Also just looked up Kaia Gerber's filmography and saw that she was apparently in Babylon (in a total nothing role I forgot about).

On 2/2/2024 at 9:57 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Went to my first filmmaking class and found out 90% of other people who are actually interested in working in this industry have like Fantastic Mr Fox or Forest Gump or La La Land as their favorite film of all time and have seen maybe 5 movies from before 1975.

I despair for the  future of cinema as a serous artform if that last sentence is typical of film students.

On 2/3/2024 at 5:18 AM, Eric Creed said:

You’re surprised by this? People always gravitate towards recent movies as their favorite lol

Yes, but you expect a bit more from serious film students.

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Not sure if this is the popular opinion on here, but I think the last few years have been kind to TASM2. It's not "amazing" but especially with the quality of CBMs lately, the fact that the story never got proper closure, and Andrew's return in No Way Home, that people have started to look back a lot more fondly on that movie. I know I have. 

If Sony were smart (and if they're legally allowed) I would get a TASM3 off the ground as fast as possible, taking place after NWH (or before?). Get Tom Hardy in there, not saying it would be a billion-dollar movie, but it could come close. But the window for that is closing fast I think.

Sorry, the TASM is not coming back except for guest roles a la NWH. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Imagine he casts him in his next movie lol. Too bad, looking at his upcoming projects, Woody doesn't have any awards bait on the horizon cause Nolan usually pulls people out of the last awards cycle or two and we're about a year (or two) away from him casting his next movie.

Extremely unlikely but Nolan can do a Fabelmans/Marriage Story about his life with Woody, Matthew McConaughey and Josh Lucas as the brothers.

But seriously I think Nolan's next movie depends on how well he and Oppenheimer do at the Oscars. :)

Never went to film school, have only seen many Twitter discussions of professors despairing that most students think everything before 2000 is "old" and just aspire to make MCU movies or be YouTubers...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

28 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I despair for the  future of cinema as a serous artform if that last sentence is typical of film students.

Frankly, I have more of a problem with the fact that these college level film courses fail to inspire students to explore and check movies outside of their comfort zone.