Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Obviously the best thing to do is go straight back to like 1928. Does The Passion of Joan of Arc or the Buster Keaton or the Charlie Chaplin take it? Let BOT decide. 

FUCK YOU the man who laughs is number one with a bullet.

• Like 1

Just now, Slambros said:

I have a different perspective.

In a dry year such as 2008, the battle won't be what becomes the winner of the year, or even what occupies the top 5 of the year. The real battle, for many of the films, will be getting on the list at all. I planned ahead and put together a list of 18 films I'd like to put on a list, with more 2008 films I've never heard of that I'd love to try watching. I want a reason like a Top 25 list to visit some films that I missed because I was too young for them. That's why I think 2008 can potentially be just as intriguing as 1998 or 1988: the discoveries that film enthusiasts would be making.

i have a different different perspective.

No.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i have a different different perspective.

No.

Here's about a third of the 2008 movies I found out about through research that I'd love to have this reason to watch:

Happy-Go-Lucky (British comedy w/ Sally Hawkins)

Ip Man

Let The Right One In

Man On Wire

Rachel Getting Married

Revolutionary Road

The Sky Crawlers (anime film from the director of Ghost in the Shell)

Slumdog Millionaire

Traitor (a RT-fresh Don Cheadle thriller)

Valkyrie

The Wrestler

These are interesting-looking films made in an era where not everything had to be a masterpiece or a franchise film to find an audience, and I would absolutely love to be able to examine these films for BOT and for the personal experience. I feel like 2008 is an era in film that deserves to be examined just as 1988 and 1998 deserve to as well.

I'm not gonna lie, I mainly want to do a 2008 list because it's the one forum list that I might actually have a chance of getting Speed Racer on.

That said, if we do do one, I do definitely feel we should deliberately discount TDK, simply by virtue of 'of fucking course it'll win if we include it'.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

I haven't seen Zohan but I did see Bedtime Stories.  not a very good movie!

Bedtime Stories barely even qualifies as a Sandler. Only in the most technical sense

• Like 1
  • Sad 1