Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, mathemetrics said:

omg if you ever to go a walk in doctor and ask them questions about your health while telling them you do this, they always get real snappy at you.  it is almost like, either stop smoking or you will never get an assessment.

I found the opposite for some things I've said to them. I once asked something about smoking (fags, not weed) and whether it was an issue, and the doctor said the amount I smoke (only a few per day) is perfectly healthy and not anything to worry about lol. Then you see all those adverts that say anyone who smokes 1 cigarette is going to die or whatever.

7 minutes ago, mathemetrics said:
  Hide contents

does anyone know if young kids in schools are taught with scared straight methods out of potential mental illnesses or suicidal tendencies/erratic behavior?   I do not know if you can  be scared out of depression or get sold on being happy.  It might be smothering or overwhelming to people with levels of depression.  Well, if one finds it, good for them, but they probably chose and accepted it and found home.  are most of the reasons studied on why people commit suicide based on actual individual happenings, or are some of the reasons also coming from potential victims list of threats and demands??

Umm no.  And that’s because you can’t scare somebody out of a mental health condition, mental illness is not something you choose.

Even for something that is a choice, drug use, programs focused on the “scared straight” approach have been found to actually be harmful and counterproductive.

And I don’t fully understand what you’re asking about suicide, but if it’s what it reads, then no.  Suicides are most definitely not from people making “threats and demands”.  That’s a ridiculous assertion.

22 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

I found the opposite for some things I've said to them. I once asked something about smoking (fags, not weed) and whether it was an issue, and the doctor said the amount I smoke (only a few per day) is perfectly healthy and not anything to worry about lol. Then you see all those adverts that say anyone who smokes 1 cigarette is going to die or whatever.

I think smoking just one can activate some kind of something for cancer that lasts for like a month until it vanishes.  not sure.  but the way I read it was it is best to smoke a pack, stop for a month or two, then resume by smoking one, then stopping for another month or two, etc.  

2 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Suicides are most definitely not from people making “threats and demands”.  That’s a ridiculous assertion.

I think I found something like this when I was reading the Urban dictionary on teen angst months ago.  The 911 operators probably get sick of hearing it.  But then 1/10,000 can happens or whatever and it can be completely uncoincidental.

4 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Even for something that is a choice, drug use, programs focused on the “scared straight” approach have been found to actually be harmful and counterproductive.

I think if you are locked away and convicted of a crime, then humiliation, torture, etc. is the primitive thing humans have done thus far.

11 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Brie Larson is such a try-hard lol. 

So glad her career tanked post Oscar. 

I agree with you about that nonsense but "Career tanked"? You heard about Captain Marvel buddy?

• Haha 1

Jeez reading that twitter thread from Ava DV is absolute cancer. And Brie Larson... really. 

“[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 70-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

Last time I checked, there is no barrier to entry in order to express your opinion and put it out there online. You don't have to be employed by a large news company in order to print a review and for people to see it. And if she IS just talking about professional critics, well I would love to see a company that is happy to employ teenage girls as full time critics.

If I want to know what that film meant to black women - well I just googled "wrinkle in time review women of colour" and got a ton of results that honestly I'm not gonna read through, but the top results are "Media Diversified", "Black Girl Nerds", and "Only Black Girls" reviews and while I'm not going to pain myself by actually reading their rubbish, I am going to guess they provide an opinion from a woman of colour. This dumb bitch's head is clearly made of Brie since she cant even google.

Also top tip if you don't want to read the opinion of a 70 year old white man then don't read it. Not that most critics are 70 years old. Even if they were I am not sure what the problem is. Oprah is getting on to that age so she must be irrelevant to the movie too

Brie Larson’s comment is an example of what gives fuel to MRA and Alt-Right movements.  

The focus shouldn’t be on trying to shut up the current old white critics and let the minority/women critics talk.  The focus should be on empowering more minorities and women to give their opinions as critics.

We shouldn’t focus on trying to deligitmize the opinions of others in order to increase representation.  It’s counterproductive

Also, if Larson’s comment was legit, then you wouldn’t see movies like Moonlight, Hidden Figures, Black Panther, etc receive raves from all critics.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 3

I.....I don't see anything wrong with what she said at all. Sure, probably wouldn't have saved a Wrinkle in Time, but her thoughts about increasing diversity in film critic circles and letting new voices take the lead is...100 percent right?

• Like 3