Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

What were your main issues with the movie?

I gotta be honest, I think I just don't generally enjoy coming of age films, at least the ones being offered. I liked it, but while some of this stuff hit home, as an Asian American, there are still a lot of things I don't relate to.  I've seen these elements before, just not quite as honestly done as Lady Bird. It's a quaint, enjoyable little film that gives me little to really complain about. But there's also nothing there that really wows me outside of the performances from Metcalf and Ronan.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I gotta be honest, I think I just don't generally enjoy coming of age films, at least the ones being offered. I liked it, but while some of this stuff hit home, as an Asian American, there are still a lot of things I don't relate to.  I've seen these elements before, just not quite as honestly done as Lady Bird. It's a quaint, enjoyable little film that gives me little to really complain about. But there's also nothing there that really wows me outside of the performances from Metcalf and Ronan.

Also no FARRIER

• Like 1

FWIW since this is being brought up fairly often, I'm firmly in the Edge of Seventeen>Lady Bird camp. I don't think they're the best movies to compare largely because one is primarily a comedy while the other leans more dramatic and they both set out to do different things, but the main characters can definitely be compared. Nadine is more complex than Christine IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

FWIW since this is being brought up fairly often, I'm firmly in the Edge of Seventeen>Lady Bird camp. I don't think they're the best movies to compare largely because one is primarily a comedy while the other leans more dramatic and they both set out to do different things, but the main characters can definitely be compared. Nadine is more complex than Christine IMO.

She is certainly more problematic and broken than Lady Bird.

But Lady Bird is better realized and more three dimensional than Nadine. Nadine feels needlessly frustrating just because half the time, which btw, I'll never believe Hailee Steinfeld playing an unattractive dweeb who has to settle for Asian guy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2