Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I made an estimate of how much I would get from the tax bill and it's not bad at all.

The democrat side is like "please donate to defeat the evil monsters in office". The other side of me is like "bitch, invest in more dividend stocks and move on"

• Like 1

I'll admit personally it's hard for me to find a horse to really latch onto next year. I guess I'm excited for Incredibles 2 but so is everyone else; it doesn't feel like something I have to fight for unlike Coco and Finding Dory. Least with a MoviePass I might be more willing to discover and obnoxiously push an indie movie I loved.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

I made an estimate of how much I would get from the tax bill and it's not bad at all.

The democrat side is like "please donate to defeat the evil monsters in office". The other side of me is like "bitch, invest in more dividend stocks and move on"

I thought they didn't touch much if touch at all tax on dividend, is it an indirect way to save on those ? Or just people will receive more of them because of corporate tax cut ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Should "I Get Overwhelmed" from A Ghost Story be eligible for Best Original Song at the Boffys?  It technically premiered in A Ghost Story before Dark Rooms released their album featuring the song.

By technically definition I'm pretty sure. It was written for the film first anyway. Good song too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

By technically definition I'm pretty sure. It was written for the film first anyway. Good song too.

It's just not on the Oscar shortlist, probably from not being submitted.  Which is sad because either it or Remember Me are the best original movie songs from this year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I thought they didn't touch much if touch at all tax on dividend, is it an indirect way to save on those ? Or just people will receive more of them because of corporate tax cut ?

Indirect way. I will say that I save $xxK in taxes. 

Planning on putting all of it in investments (with dividend payouts going to reinvestments) for my upcoming daughter.

I hope she never has to worry about money.

It's just not on the Oscar shortlist, probably from not being submitted.  Which is sad because either it or Remember Me are the best original movie songs from this year.

It's a good song but A Ghost Story isn't really an "Oscar potential", which is a shame. Really at this point I'm just hoping that Remember Me takes home the award.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's a good song but A Ghost Story isn't really an "Oscar potential", which is a shame. Really at this point I'm just hoping that Remember Me takes home the award.

Nah, the Oscars aren't cool enough to give any notice to A Ghost Story.  It's definitely arthouse given its minimal dialogue (minus a random monologue that doesn't really fit in the movie)

Edited by The Last Panda
  • Like 1

Nah, the Oscars aren't cool enough to give any notice to A Ghost Story.  It's definitely arthouse given its minimal dialogue (minus a random monologue that doesn't really fit in the movie)

A Ghost Story is about as "indie" as it gets, which is cool. It's definitely a film that I liked the more I thought about. I'm sure it'll hold up wonderfully on rewatch. 

• Like 2