Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Take SMH and Apes out, and that's a pretty decent top 10, especially for his standards :jeb!: 

Pretty much (minus the entertaining part though). I will give him props for holding off on a TLJ rating until a rewatch though.

I'm easily entertained, tbh, but he's a lot better than a lot of the youtube review shit. It's not a bad list, it's just very much a geek standards playlist.

7 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

Jahns is a geek reviewer, and while he's mildly entertaining, he doesn't really have much of anything to say. Pretty much like any geek reviewer. His top 10 seems to be just a list of pre-programmed hip choices. (though Wind River seems left field, but I don't know what it is)

Wind River is actually a great movie.  I’ve really liked everything Sheridan has done as a writer and director, so far (although I’ll give Villeneuve more credit for Sicario than Sheridan.  For some reason I’ve seen people talk about Sicario like it’s Sheridan’s movie and not Villeneuve’s, the style is much more Villeneuve than Sheridan)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Though it's from a fanboy-friendly director.

That’s true.  And my complaints about mother! come more from the realm that it’s falsely provocative.

It beats you over the head with its ideas, while trying to act like it’s subtle high art.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Last Panda said:

That’s true.  And my complaints about mother! come more from the realm that it’s falsely provocative.

It beats you over the head with its ideas, while trying to act like it’s subtle high art.  

I don't think mother! was trying to act subtle at all, in any way, shape, or form. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

I don't think mother! was trying to act subtle at all, in any way, shape, or form. 

Subtle was probably a bad word to use.  Maybe provocative?  But I’d stick to the notion that it shoves its ideas in your face, meanwhile wanting you to walk away with things to digest.  I tend to find if a movie’s ideas are too blatant, it detracts from the experience as a whole for me, it doesn’t give you much to think through.

Nonetheless, I’ll still give it credit for being a unique movie.  I’d rather see mother! Top somebody’s list than Spider-Man: Homecoming, for instance.  Despite me giving mother! a D+ and Homecoming a B

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

I think it was a bit too subtle with is main idea, maybe some did find they hit you on the nose with it (really ?), while many didn't understand it at all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

But I’d stick to the notion that it shoves its ideas in your face, meanwhile wanting you to walk away with things to digest.  I tend to find if a movie’s ideas are too blatant, it detracts from the experience as a whole for me, it doesn’t give you much to think through.

Many didn't even got what the main ideas were, in that context it is hard to say it was too blatant. I kid you not when I say that some (at Screen Junkie) were piss 

Spoiler

that it is all ok at the end because the artist create again, not seeming to get at all that humanity itself just completely die and what next form life would be in the post human earth world started.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1