Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

The funniest thing is the end after college is probably 1000x times scarier than after high school. I will say, expect to lose 50% of your friends at least. Won't be a problem for Han.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm sure I'll spend a many nights having anxiety attacks over that too.

one thing at a time

Just, be happy that assuming you go to college and find a college, you have a North Star. 

It may not seem like it, but it's guidance. You'll probably find cooler friends in college too.

• Like 2

This time a year, a lot of Northern Hemisphere folks feel depressed - fun and freedom of holidays are over, colder temps and less sunlight have set in, returns to the mundane seem like they will last forever...

So, usually if it's not a severe depression (that's gonna need medical), the answer is to find something new to inject into your every day, or to plan something in the future to look forward to, or to see if you can cut yourself a tiny break on the mundane.

My method (since I HATE the cold and the short light days) is to start the year by both reading a new book and planning out my summer vacation and finding every deal I can (so I can plan even more fun).  That means I've been on a tear investigating Niagara Falls, ON deals and reading David Baldacci's new book, The Fix (which so far is kinda an awesome mindless book)...and it keeps my spirits up from getting sad another holiday year is gone and I'm stuck staring at the dark while I'm cooking dinner...

But find what works for you...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

IDK I guess I have all this uncertainty about what I'm doing after this year and it's borderline consuming me

I already have my plan laid out and just want August to come already. I have no clue how being away from home and out of my bubble would affect my depression (if it's still there when I transfer), but surely it'd be better than my current situation. 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I already have my plan laid out and just want August to come already. I have no clue how being away from home and out of my bubble would affect my depression (if it's still there when I transfer), but surely it'd be better than my current situation. 

Or...

It could be a Lady Bird situation

• Sad 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

I don’t post much about my personal struggles in life because they’re my own struggles.  Don’t need other people hearing about them.

Getting it out helps at times. 

And no, bitching about The Shape of Water losing out on Best Drama doesn't count. 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Or...

It could be a Lady Bird situation

I can see this happening to Han tbh.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I have no clue what the fuck is going on with me. I thought school being back in session would help curb my depression a little bit, but today's classes honestly just made it significantly worse. It dawned on me that this semester is going to be the same damn thing as last semester where I slave away for easy As while being bored out of my fucking mind, only this time I have to be at school for three times as long each week. Socialization isn't even factoring in for this batch of depression. I've been feeling like there's a weight on my head all day. Fuck, this semester is going to be long.

Yeah, you need to stop going to the theater so much. You should be here less too. Our likes and hot takes aren't going to do anything for you in the real world. You need to get out more and get actual sunshine and fresh air. You live in Florida after all, you're lucky to have sun while most of the country is under snow and -80 degrees. Eat better, sleep more, think about less, and exercise.

You need to keep yourself busy and think of the future goals. If you have to spend more time at school, then figure out how to make use of that extra time, instead of sitting there like a pitiful bump on a log.

I worked at Target over the holidays and during my breaks and down periods, or when I knew no managers were around, instead of me scrolling instagram on my phone or just sitting there twiddling my thumbs, I would learn French or study for the GRE. You need to do the same thing at school in your down time. 

And you gotta try to socialize, no matter how hard or awkward it may be. You need other people with good vibes. And stop assuming things. The semester just started but you've already made up your mind that it's going to suck, which means it probably will. If you can't find motivation, well, it's still there. You just have to stop thinking about it and just do it.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If you're really feeling that depressed, you should go outside, get some air and do other things now and again. As someone who's been doing more outdoor activities as of late (I go to the gym three times a week now at least, and I take a lot of walks), it's done wonders for me. 

• Like 1