Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

It appears to be cold at Foxborough. 

That's easily the thing I miss least about living in New England. I think there were, like, three total days in the first three months of the year during the four years I lived there that weren't bitter-cold. It was in the single digits (Fahrenheit!) multiple days in March last year.

15 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

That's easily the thing I miss least about living in New England. I think there were, like, three total days in the first three months of the year during the four years I lived there that weren't bitter-cold. It was in the single digits (Fahrenheit!) multiple days in March last year.

It’s been a bit cold here today. 

Hasn’t gone over 22°C. 

I'm sure it sounds like straw grasping to anyone who doesn't live in the midwest or northeast and maybe it is, but I like the changing seasons and I don't want to become one of those people who grow to look down on the region because of its weather. Yeah, I complain about it when it's bad but it makes it all the sweeter when the sun does come out.

Plus deep down I think everyone wishes they had at least a little snow in their climate around the holiday season.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Just now, tribefan695 said:

I'm sure it sounds like straw grasping to anyone who doesn't live in the midwest or northeast and maybe it is, but I like the changing seasons and I don't want to become one of those people who grow to look down on the region because of its weather. Yeah, I complain about it when it's bad but it makes it all the sweeter when the sun does come out.

I live in pretty much one of the mildest climates in Canada, and yea i like to complain about crappy weather every now and then, especially if it snows unexpectedly and it takes half an hour to get out of my driveway :lol:

I guess I don't get the huge change in seasons you might, but my favourite time of year is that mid-May slot where it gets warm enough to go out to the lake but not unbearably hot... it's amazing

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Plus deep down I think everyone wishes they had at least a little snow in their climate around the holiday season.

Nah. I enjoy summer for the most part. Whine about the heat sometimes but it's mostly good.

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Nah. I enjoy summer for the most part. Whine about the heat sometimes but it's mostly good.

Well, the conditioning's a little different in the southern hemisphere. Despite Die Hard's best efforts to buck the trend, there's a reason most Christmas-themed entertainment goes for the snowbound aesthetic. Palm trees just don't look right.

Had a big moment of nostalgia of some of my early teenage memories after watching a family member’s play today.  It’s the weirdest feeling and it triggered a plethora of emotions.

I used to be big into theater when I was in high school, and there was an outside group that got me into it.  So seeing an old director and such really brought back memories, especially since my happiest memories with theater were with that group (once I actually did it with my school, had a hard-ass Director who soured my taste and confidence in it).  It reminded me when the smallest things caused angst, of finding a community in the period of life when you don’t know who you are, and yet you still maintained this sense of optimism and naïveté.  

Maybe this is what it feels like getting older.  Even though I’m happy and satisfied with parts of where my life is heading, I almost felt like I wanted to go back when things were simpler.  When my biggest concern was whether that girl liked you back, if people would like me in the play or which of my friends were real and which were fake.

It’s a strange mixture of happiness from recalling memories but then this stinging bit of sadness of how far gone those memories actually are from your present state.  It also makes you question if you truly have had any of that same happiness and thrill that you did a while ago.  And all of this nostalgic thinking yet I’m still young and ‘in my prime’ I feel like it’s far too soon to think back like this.

@Just Tele am I going to have more of these moments as I age?  This almost kind of sucks, maybe this is what actual nostalgia feels like.

Edited by New Year New Panda

7 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Maybe this is what it feels like getting older.  Even though I’m happy and satisfied with parts of where my life is heading, I almost felt like I wanted to go back when things were simpler.  When my biggest concern was whether that girl liked you back, if people would like me in the play or which of my friends were real and which were fake.

It’s a strange mixture of happiness from recalling memories but then this stinging bit of sadness of how far gone those memories actually are from your present state.

@Just Tele am I going to have more of these moments as I age?  This almost kind of sucks, maybe this is what actual nostalgia feels like.

I'm not Tele, but yes. And it gets even weirder when your friends start getting married and/or having kids. And it all sneaks up on you in no time flat. It still feels like just yesterday that I was looking forward to life in college, and yet that moment was already eight-and-a-half freaking years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Webslinger said:

I'm not Tele, but yes. And it gets even weirder when your friends start getting married and/or having kids. And it all sneaks up on you in no time flat. It still feels like just yesterday that I was looking forward to life in college, and yet that moment was already eight-and-a-half freaking years ago.

It’s rather crazy, and I already have a few friends who have gotten married, and a few that have gotten pregnant and had kids.  Time moved so slowly as kid and it’s going by so quickly now.  I’m also much more jaded than I was then, and I find that to be a little sad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Only things I'm really nostalgic for in my childhood are entertainment-related. Largely it's a time I hope to never repeat.

I mean I’m not so sure how much I’d want to go back if I had a magic time machine that let me (but maybe), and it’s not like my life has flopped over and I’m not going anywhere with it (I’m probably doing more with it now than I was during that period) but it’s odd.  It made me reflective and that’s not something that happens often.