Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

What he said. Otherwise a lot of movies listed are my own blindspots that I can't wait to fix (Seven Samurai, McCabe, Sweet Smell of a Success, The Graduate, Don't Look Now especially). Out of what I've seen Paris Texas, Rushmore and Repulsion would be solid gets in addition to the above. The New World might be top 3 Malick, if you're down with his style then definitely grab it, if you haven't seen his first three, I'd recommend getting to them first. Also very much like Last Temptation, as an atheist it brought me closer than anything ever did to understanding why people believe, it's very moving and Dafoe is wonderful in it. But it's also somewhat challenging and an advanced study as far as Scorsese goes. Gotta see it at some point anyway, though. 

This is my one question mark about The New World. I enjoy the hell out of Thin Red Line and think TNW looks incredible, but if I'm better off with Days if Heaven ir Badlands, I'd pick one of those up instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is my one question mark about The New World. I enjoy the hell out of Thin Red Line and think TNW looks incredible, but if I'm better off with Days if Heaven ir Badlands, I'd pick one of those up instead.

You probably won't have much problem getting into The New World then. I actually found it more accessible and emotionally direct than Thin Red Line. They're all great films, anyway. 

• Like 1

In three and a half hours, I will BRACE THE STORM in 3D :sparta: 

23 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I'm regretting putting off all of my data analysis I need done by tomorrow to today.

I'm creating 7 models right now.

This is why you don't procrastinate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I was like way too productive yesterday and did not procrastinate. Managed to get next week’s scheduled work done because I’m in Cancun starting Saturday and did not want clients contacting me when I’m on vacation.

Working ahead is REALLY satisfying. Once my last psych quiz is available in two weeks (the professor only keeps Pearson assignments open three weeks in advance; exams are available anytime in Blackboard), I'm just going to complete the course about a month early.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Someone was talking about Room in class just now. got a keep a hold on myself not to go on a rant about that bad dumb stupid bad movie 

My algebra professor brought up The Big Bang Theory in class yesterday, so I can relate :gold: (can't relate with your bad opinion though lol)

My job with the campaign kinda feels like it is falling apart. It's easy to see why young people/people who aren't independently wealthy don't run for Congress, the time commitment between working a 50-60 hour a week job and putting in (at minimum) another 40+ hours on the campaign is just not possible without some pretty quick burnout.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

My job with the campaign kinda feels like it is falling apart. It's easy to see why young people/people who aren't independently wealthy don't run for Congress, the time commitment between working a 50-60 hour a week job and putting in (at minimum) another 40+ hours on the campaign is just not possible without some pretty quick burnout.

It just looks like such a shitty business in general to get into. You have to make so many compromises on your ideals if you hope to get anywhere and no matter what you do a bunch of people are going to vocally despise you. At least that's what it looks like to many of them, I'm sure.

• Like 3

Saw a story on Deadline about Joseph Gordon-Levitt replacing Paul Dano in a new movie and am wondering how JGL's career got to a point where he is second choice behind Dano for a role. Post the streak of Inception-500 Days-TDKR-Looper he was primed to breakout into the mainstream. Post that though, his movies have not exactly been big box office

Date Title (click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Rank
9/16/16 Snowden ORF $21,587,519 2,443 $8,000,058 2,443 15
11/20/15 The Night Before Sony $43,047,372 2,960 $9,880,536 2,960 8
9/30/15 The Walk TriS $10,137,502 2,509 $1,560,299 448 19
8/22/14 Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For W/Dim. $13,757,804 2,894 $6,317,683 2,894 17
2/21/14 The Wind Rises
(Voice)
BV $5,209,580 496 $313,751 21 21
9/27/13 Don Jon Rela. $24,477,704 2,422 $8,677,009 2,422

He really needed a big franchise role to bring him into the pop culture conversation in between all the offbeat weird-accent roles he did.