aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

This has to be one of the most pervasive misconception on this board. Despite evidence people keep repeating this as fact!

Of the 7 MCU movies that I have 3 week tracking numbers for only 1 was overestimated (gotg2) while 3 were in range and 3 were underestimated!

Heck even the tracking 2-3 days before release when everyone seems to have been hyped to high heavens only 3 out of 7 were overestimated. 

And if this opens to 110m plus then this too would have been underestimated by 3 week tracking. Thats a whole whopping 1 overestimation from 8. 

Oh sorry, i want to say the Marvel sequels

Ultron, CW and GOTG2 have overestimate tracking numbers on the week of release, if i remember well [Ultron was 200M, CW was 190-200M and Guardians was $160M]

So Ragnarok with the $ 100 - 120M tracking could be the first in the recently Marvel sequels to surpass the high-end expected

But my memory is not the best, so maybe i'm wrong

I think it goes without saying at this point but this is now the highest grossing film directed by Taika Waititi. Actually it passed that last week but now it's the highest grossing in America.

Should pass Green Lantern at some point today as well, which will make it the highest grossing film starring Taika Waititi.

Once it gets past 435M worldwide, it'll become the highest grossing film by a Maori director.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Had it pegged for $110-$115M myself, which is still quite a jump from Thor: The Dark World's $85M 3-day.

And... I really think Justice League will just barely crack $100M in its 3-day. If that. 

I give you props for knowing how to make people do a spit take. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think it goes without saying at this point but this is now the highest grossing film directed by Taika Waititi.

Should pass Green Lantern at some point today or tomorrow as well, which will make it the highest grossing film starring Taika Waititi.

Once it gets past 435M worldwide, it'll become the highest grossing film by a Maori director.

18744918_taika-waititi-talks-thor-ragnar

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think it goes without saying at this point but this is now the highest grossing film directed by Taika Waititi. Actually it passed that last week but now it's the highest grossing in America.

Should pass Green Lantern at some point today or tomorrow as well, which will make it the highest grossing film starring Taika Waititi.

It's crazy how looking back, GL featured a future MCU director and the star would end up getting his own beloved spandex franchise and an actor pegged to play the villain in the (aborted) sequel will get to play a DC movie villain after all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

It's crazy how looking back, GL featured a future MCU director and the star would end up getting his own beloved spandex franchise and an actor pegged to play the villain in the (aborted) sequel will get to play a DC movie villain after all. 

Yeah it's almost like the studios are pumping out 20 of these things a year so everyone will invariably be involved in several

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

Don’t forget Angela Bassett in Black Panther. Plenty of people from the movie are getting CBM redemption.

• Like 1

Just now, Chewy said:

Yeah it's almost like the studios are pumping out 20 of these things a year so everyone will invariably be involved in several

Hard to believe that boom mic operator #431 went from working on some rando indie flick in 1999 to a superhero movie in 2017. Crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, aabattery said:

Hard to believe that boom mic operator #431 went from working on some rando indie flick in 1999 to a superhero movie in 2017. Crazy.

fun fact: the props art finisher of Thor: Ragnarok went uncredited as the vine maker from The Ruins (2008).  crazy how far they've come.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

That's one way of looking at it. I look at it more like how they went on to greater things. Same way one person who quit a MCU movie went on to give DCEU its first critical win. 

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Surprisingly the trailer that got the most response out of my audience was Jumanji.

Everyone screaming about how it ruined their childhood in unison, woah!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1