aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

13 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Thor2 had just little bit here and there...that's why I gave it a 7.5, but thor3 is just beginning to end ....forced comedy ...

I thought Jeff Goldblum was just terrible ..... and the whole thing was just a mess of force comedy ...felt like I was watching a comedy episode of Seinfeld.

How much SEINFELD have you actually seen? Because that in comedy is a whole other (American) thing compared to the Anglo influence in TR. 

• Like 2

Saw Thor. I enjoyed it. The cast was really good (good to finally see Hemsworth get a chance to loosen up as Thor). The comedy was fine, but not every joke landed for me. However, I think the humor worked better here than in Guardians 2. Definitely the best Thor movie by a mile. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think Thor: Ragnarok has mostly weak comedy and only a handful of jokes landed for me.  I guess that makes me humorless.

Yeah, I agree. 

Thor Ragnarok felt pretty hallow and the emotional beats didn't land for me because we never had time to go deeper into the themes and character arcs of certain characters. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

He complained about the amount and just compared it to watching an episode of Seinfield

Then maybe he thinks Seinfeld is bad comedy. :thinking:

Funny how you like to spin things. That's not even a THOR movie, it's full on comedic relief .... as  if one is watching a comedy show.

Even though I don't like the movie doesn't mean I don't wish it to do well. Thor is one of my favorite MCU characters and I loved the 1st Thor movie, and thought the second was not bad, but this one was butchered ...... badly .... now I understand why Baumer give it a 3 ... if it wasn't for Cate I would have given it a 1 tbh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think Thor: Ragnarok has mostly weak comedy and only a handful of jokes landed for me.  I guess that makes me humorless.

I loved Ragnarok a great deal but I had some problems with the humor as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, raegr said:

Yeah, I agree. 

Thor Ragnarok felt pretty hallow and the emotional beats didn't land for me because we never had time to go deeper into the themes and character arcs of certain characters. 

And this movie is an example I’ll cite whenever people argue CIVIL WAR would’ve been better with deaths. 

The MCU is the last place in Hollywood  where people are willing to take artitistic chances/risks in big superhero movies.

The MCU wouldn't do such basic, simple & easy movies like

Logan for example.

May this trend continue.

:)

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Funny how you like to spin things. That's not even a THOR movie, it's full on comedic relief .... as  if one is watching a comedy show.

Even though I don't like the movie doesn't mean I don't wish it to do well. Thor is one of my favorite MCU characters and I loved the 1st Thor movie, and thought the second was not bad, but this one was butchered ...... badly .... now I understand why Baumer give it a 3 ... if it wasn't for Cate I would have given it a 1 tbh.

Thor 2 has Selvig running around in his underwear which we see twice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

The MCU is the last place in Hollywood  where people are willing to take artitistic chances/risks in big superhero movies.

The MCU wouldn't do such basic, simple & easy movies like

Logan for example.

May this trend continue.

:)

It’s the modern day blockbuster Roger Corman, except generally better crafted instead of simply exploitation fare cranked out over a week. 

Some would consider this a diss. I’m the opposite. 

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I loved Ragnarok a great deal but I had some problems with the humor as well.

I have this really really strange feeling, in the worst case scenario that JL will make Flash do a fart or poop joke and if that happens I'm blaming the balding guy!

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think every joke landed for me in T:R.

To be fair though, if there was a Venn diagram between Taika's sense of humor and mine it would probably just be a circle.

I rewatched Hunt For The Wilderpeople last night and I forgot how much I actually laughed. It’s definetely not for everyone but damn

i enjoy it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I enjoyed the comedy in it but it is pretty subjective humor. 

All humor is subjective ... well all art is but maybe especially humor. 

I've disliked or out right hated most of the popular comedies of the last few years like the Jump Streets and Spy.

My favorite two of the last couple years were Hunt For The Wilderpeople and What We Do In The Shadows so I assume the humor in this will hit the mark for me.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, raegr said:

I have this really really strange feeling, in the worst case scenario that JL will make Flash do a fart or poop joke and if that happens I'm blaming the balding guy!

Or race Superman in a mid credits scene with Whedon banter. 

Now thinking about it, that sounds decent.

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think every joke landed for me in T:R.

To be fair though, if there was a Venn diagram between Taika's sense of humor and mine it would probably just be a circle.

I watched it again but this time in hindi dub. And the humor still hits. Almost whole theater was laughing at every joke, even little ones. The humor is very easy to translate among different cultures, one of the reason IMO, it's doing great OS. 

• Like 1