grey ghost

How do you feel about the owners of Rotten Tomatoes withholding tomato ratings to increase box office?

To keep this thread civil, please don't mention any DCEU films.

So WB, who own Rotten Tomatoes, made history and for the first time blatantly withheld a Rotten Tomato score to help a certain movie (that shall not be named) do better at the box office.

How problematic do you find this?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

To keep this thread civil, please don't mention any DCEU films.

So WB, who own Rotten Tomatoes, made history and for the first time blatantly withheld a Rotten Tomato score to help a certain movie (that shall not be named) do better at the box office.

How problematic do you find this?

A - RT is withholding it, not WB

B - This has been done before already for 2 weeks now

C - Read this, and maybe do some research before opening a thread designed for flame wars wherein you are accusing a studio without merit 

More details:

To be clear, this isn’t part of a further embargo on Warner Bros. part. Indeed, Justice League isn’t the first film to receive this treatment; during the debut See It/Skip It episode, presenting duo Segun Oduolowu and Jacqueline Coley unveiled the Tomatometer score for A Bad Mom’s Christmas and last week gave a much-belated classification to Star Trek: The Original Series.

Rotten Tomatoes aren’t delaying the reveal to try and reduce any misleading conclusions – they’re actually playing into the false sense of importance around the Tomatometer to draw more eyes to their newly-launched online show; their previous two episodes have treated the numbers involved as more sacrosanct than even the most overzealous outlets and the drumroll is most-certainly a hype-building trick. After all, if this was about protecting art from their negative influence, they wouldn’t do it for a select few films.

This is particularly worrying as the move takes Rotten Tomatoes from being an aggregator and more directly into the critical sphere; its hosts provide their own opinions and the Tomatometer is treated like a definitive stamp, as opposed to the suggestive percentage it really is. That’s a power shift around an already controversial metric, making the entire enterprise more about the website itself than the reviews it’s cataloging. And, considering that they’re owned by Fandango (a company that relies on ticket sales, further co-owned by film companies Warner Bros. and Universal), has the ability to be abused by keeping potentially damaging ratings held back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel it's a genius marketing move that will bring 8 billion eyeballs to RT.com all at the same time - I'm amazed RT didn't come up with this stunt sooner.  I'd do the same thing for Jedi next month (if I were them)...

Not sure they are able to do that, but it's genius if they can do it for all the huge movies - be like the old Siskel and Ebert timed show on tv:)...

• Like 1

RT did the same for a Bad mom Christmas (an STX release), so I am not sure it is really what is going on.

Seem to me a tactic by RT to brings views to their platform and maybe something to please studios in generals, Bad Mom doing it and Daddy Home 2 not doing it result seem to sustain the theory most had that it had 0 effect on Bad Moms (the kind of title the least susceptible to be influenced by RT too).

Just now, grey ghost said:

I can see CoCo's rating.

What movies did they wait till OD to release the tomato rating?

It's literally not up to the studio. This is RT's choice only in order to increase their viewership.

To be clear, this isn’t part of a further embargo on Warner Bros. part. Indeed, Justice League isn’t the first film to receive this treatment; during the debut See It/Skip It episode, presenting duo Segun Oduolowu and Jacqueline Coley unveiled the Tomatometer score for A Bad Mom’s Christmas and last week gave a much-belated classification to Star Trek: The Original Series.

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

I feel it's a genius marketing move that will bring 8 billion eyeballs to RT.com all at the same time - I'm amazed RT didn't come up with this stunt sooner.  I'd do the same thing for Jedi next month (if I were them)...

Not sure they are able to do that, but it's genius if they can do it for all the huge movies - be like the old Siskel and Ebert timed show on tv:)...

I'm sure they will.

• Like 1

Just now, dudalb said:

I think that 99% of  conspiracy theories are pure B.S.,and this one seems to be no exception.

This one is amazingly so because RT already did this since the start of November and somehow @grey ghost didn't notice it at all, and then concocted a conspiracy theory in his mind. This was discussed at length 2 weeks ago on this forum as well.

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

RT ad revenue for a single "event" vs a multi billion dollar franchise.

Which is more important to WB?