WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

23 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Seems like it didn't stop them with DnD, or Sonic, but you can make the argument that those are not nearly as steeped in the original lore like this looks to be. Hell, Sonic remakes its lore in the first 5 minutes.

Mario games have ‘lore’? I’ve been playing them since the 80s and… that’s pushing it. They have iconography, at best.

• Like 2

There’s really nothing that stands a good chance at beating this WW this year when you think about it, imo. MCU is in too rough of a spot to hit $1b with this year’s slate. I thought maybe Mermaid, but marketing has me way less convinced now.

Mission is a possible threat I suppose, but I think people are overestimating how TGM will affect it. And part 1 in a title is traditionally a box office curse. 

I thought all along illumination brand strength would help this in China, just like I think Nintendo/Mario brand strength will help it in Japan. It’s the fact that this movie could conquer China, Japan and DOM that makes its box office potential so massive.

Tbh, I’d give anything for it to take down TLK remake bc I think it’s ridiculous we call that an “animated” movie and it irritates me to no end that it gets categorized as the highest grossing animated film of all time bc of that. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I thought all along illumination brand strength would help this in China, just like I think Nintendo/Mario brand strength will help it in Japan. It’s the fact that this movie could conquer China, Japan and DOM that makes its box office potential so massive.

Tbh, I’d give anything for it to take down TLK remake bc I think it’s ridiculous we call that an “animated” movie and it irritates me to no end that it gets categorized as the highest grossing animated film of all time bc of that. 

minions 2 disappointed in china (did 22% of DC3)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The Chinese presales are not good at all though, so lol at "conquer". Japan is too early to say since we are a few weeks away but we have already had this convo and you are ridicolously bullish on it.

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

minions 2 disappointed in china

Covid still way too big of a factor there last summer for that, just like a big factor for even A2. This is arguably the first Hollywood blockbuster releasing in China post pandemic where things are resembling slightly more “normal” again. 

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The Chinese presales are not good at all though, so lol at "conquer". Japan is too early to say since we are a few weeks away but we have already had this convo and you are ridicolously bullish on it.

Nowhere near as bullish as you and some here seem to be about how obvious of a global box office smash this looks like, but I digress. 

Nowhere near as bullish as you and some here seem to be about how obvious of a global box office smash this looks like, but I digress. 

FYI bullish means high expectations so that doesn't make sense. But what makes even less sense is you telling me that when I went in on the "mario highest grossing film of 2023" club lol.

China's presales ARE poor. It isn't speculation. Japan is, but when you think this has a 200M floor and highest all-time potential it doesn't take much to tell you you're too bullish.

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

FYI bullish means high expectations so that doesn't make sense. But what makes even less sense is you telling me that when I went in on the "mario highest grossing film of 2023" club lol.

China's presales ARE poor. It isn't speculation. Japan is, but when you think this has a 200M floor and highest all-time potential it doesn't take much to tell you you're too bullish.

Are presales for animation ever through the roof in China? When it was said presales are taking off there, I would assume that is in comparison to other animated hits. 

And honestly l o l at trying to predict animation based off of pre-sales in the first place. Not sure if you know how animation typically works at the BO…

Edited by MovieMan89

Are presales for animation ever through the roof in China? When it was said presales are taking off there, I would assume that is in comparison to other animated hits. 

It is debuting on a holiday and PS is currently extremely OD-heavy for this one. PS doubled from yesterday which is nice but it is still pretty low numbers (600k for OD atm).

Edited by JustLurking

And back on the topic of japan: I fail to see how saying the sky could be the limit there if they like this is “bullish?” The crowds at Super Nintendo World at Universal there have been insane since it opened (and it’s basically just a Mario land).

Mario is absolutely a massive multi-gen  cultural staple and icon of Japanese pop culture, along with Nintendo as a whole.  And their propensity towards animation and an all star anime dub VO cast for the movie there is a huge positive too.

Sure beating DS would be nuts, but I also won’t call it “impossible.” Still think 200 is a great chance, unless reception there is poor.