WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Tbh, I’d give anything for it to take down TLK remake bc I think it’s ridiculous we call that an “animated” movie and it irritates me to no end that it gets categorized as the highest grossing animated film of all time bc of that. 

There doesn’t seem to be a consensus on that issue though. BOM considers it animated, but the Numbers doesn’t include TLK 2019 in the animated records + Disney’s official stance is that it’s live-action.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/cumulative/all-time-animated

Not that I think Mario will get anywhere near that amount WW.

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And back on the topic of japan: I fail to see how saying the sky could be the limit there if they like this is “bullish?” The crowds at Super Nintendo World at Universal there have been insane since it opened (and it’s basically just a Mario land).

Mario is absolutely a massive multi-gen  cultural staple and icon of Japanese pop culture, along with Nintendo as a whole.  And their propensity towards animation and an all star anime dub VO cast for the movie there is a huge positive too.

Sure beating DS would be nuts, but I also won’t call it “impossible.” Still think 200 is a great chance, unless reception there is poor. 

We have already had this convo so let us see what happens. I think even 100M is <10% chance.

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

We have already had this convo so let us see what happens. I think even 100M is <10% chance.

Only see that happening if Illumination went full blown minions with the humor here, since that’s not really Japan’s bag. But people also seem to be forgetting major big wigs at Nintendo of Japan had just as much or more of a say in a lot of the creation of this film… 

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Only see that happening if Illumination went full blown minions with the humor here, since that’s not really Japan’s bag. But people also seem to be forgetting major big wigs at Nintendo of Japan had just as much or more of a say in a lot of the creation of this film… 

I don't really get what you expect. It's an illumination film. It will have illumination target demo and humor. It may be a bit more adult but it will not be drastically different.

I will not say impossible because Japan is probably the most "never say never" market in the world, but I will say that there is basically no one who keeps up with jp BO and expects 100M+ for this let alone 200+.

Edited by JustLurking

Mario's relationship with his brother Luigi could be something that could pull the heartstrings and turn this into something more than a "mindless nostalgic cash grab" especially as Mario has to save him

It'd be a missed opportunity if they don't deepen that relationship or at least make it relatable and heartwarming

The first two colorful, fun and action-packed trailers got me hyped but the last trailer with Luigi in the cage and the silly, goofy creatures and finally the negativity with the reviews (or lack thereof)/embargo, etc. definitely sobered me up lol

I think it will be like many cases before, it won't be as underwhelming as the haters/doubters are predicting but also not as massive as the hyped fans are predicting

Edited by Royce

I'm so curious to see how this will do... it always felt like "highest grossing movie of 2023" for me but all I wanted was a top 10 animated movies of all-time but it would need a billion and a big support from Asia.

I think it will do its job with the audience but not expecting glowing reviews. So maybe $800M+.

Does Japan even care about Hollywood movies at this point? It was basically the one country that The Way of Water flopped in. In any case, Hollywood adaptations of Japanese IP’s don’t have the best track record over there. 

Edited by WittyUsername

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does Japan even care about Hollywood movies at this point? It was basically the one country that The Way of Water flopped in. In any case, Hollywood adaptations of Japanese IP’s don’t have the best track record over there. 

It does probably help thar Nintendo is so heavily involved. I think they are a big force behind the marketing in Japan.

2 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

I more concerned about reviews not being out despite this opening tomorrow 

It opens Wednesday. No previews tomorrow. Could be a Nintendo thing, since that is standard for them.

Just now, Box Office Hit said:

This does a really nice job of showing off the score. Really great new pieces, with Koji Kondo's classics frequently mixed in.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/super-mario-bros-air-box-office-opening-ben-affleck-amazon-1235316883/

"Who says people don’t go to the movies? That stale cynicism coming out of the pandemic is about to get squashed this weekend as Illumination/Universal’s The Super Mario Bros Movie is about to run up a serious box office score. With a Wednesday opening before Easter around the world, inclusive of 70 offshore markets, the Nintendo co-production is looking at a $225 million-plus opening frame. Separated out, that’s $125M+ in U.S./Canada in 4,000 theaters over Wednesday through Sunday, and another $100M+ abroad."

Any ideas as to what would be considered a good opening day number for this? The historical data on family films opening on Wednesday is so minimal that it's difficult to say. I doubt it plays out similarly to Shrek 2 which did only 20% of its OW on Wednesday/Thursday, but Wednesday should still be lower than each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, right?

I'm thinking as long as Wednesday's number has a "2" in front of it, that's pretty good.