DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

17 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Why the assholery in response to someone advocating for more originality. It's as if you guys prefer it this way. Brand followers instead of movie fans. 

Personally my golden age of movies were the 90's.

Movies like Se7en, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump and The Matrix redifined cinema for me.

I hated the 2000's.

The movies today aren't ground breaking like the 90's but they perfected the nostalgia and fanboy drug unlike the 2000's.

The 2000's tried to play in both sandboxes (art and consumerism) but mastered neither.

Hollywood is learning to scrath every itch but honestly the consumers will always greatly outnumber the film nerds.

Just now, grey ghost said:

If you were given 100 million under the condition that you must spend all of it and you will only be allowed to keep the profits...

Be honest...Would you completely avoid franchise films and popular adaptations?

What would you invest in instead of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and Aladdin which are pretty much guaranteed to make you a multimillionaire?

I could not invest in them (or would need billions to buy the right of doing it) I doubt disney is seeking investor for Guardian 3, an Aladdin without Disney brand/songs and seal of approval would also be really hard to make profitable (and would be somewhat original).

Your question sound more: If you were Disney CEO would you do something different.

Obviously no, I would continue the momentum, no one is talking about what studio should do with current world audience demand, we all fully understand why they do it, when Baywatch still do more than almost every original entry of the year, the mummy of all of them.....

We can always explain why anyone do what they do, the wish is for world audience to become risk taker and then studio to follow suit (with them opening the door by from time to time proposing them to do it).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Nothing on TV looks more original than movies to me, this is all just a mind contrusct, nothing more.

It s all be done before I am afraid.

Tree of Life was done before Malick did it ?

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I hated the 2000's.

Yeah, at least for mainstream stuff, 2000's could have been the worst with the 80s.

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

It seems tastes of films have really changed between audiences and critics and such.

That could be misleading, what also changed with the frontloading of the box office. audience taste and box office is less and less linked. When every movie with the biggest box office of the year needed good legs to reach it, box office was a much more relevant metric to access audience taste than now.

People that liked Spotlight / People that watched spotlight (or Hidden Figure, la la land, most of Oscar movies) was way superior to a long list of movies that ended up in the year top 20 at the box office.

CBM is the safest bet for studios. You rarely see a CBM outright bombing these days while there have been countless bombs from other genres. Well when I say CBM I mean marvel/dc superhero films not stuff like valerian , which I don’t  even know what it is tbh. I really wonder what will happen after the two avengers films, I believe that this will be a crucial point for the CBM genre.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

CBM is the safest bet for studios. You rarely see a CBM outright bombing these days while there have been countless bombs from other genres. Well when I say CBM I mean marvel/dc superhero films not stuff like valerian , which I don’t  even know what it is tbh. I really wonder what will happen after the two avengers films, I believe that this will be a crucial point for the CBM genre.

Even the Kingsman films are technically in the category of CBM since that was where it started. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I'm sick of all the CBMs but obviously fans aren't. And there's plenty of material within the general CBM universes to keep generating movies (for now).

But @tonytr87 has a really good point beyond them: at the moment, the studios are desperately rebooting/rebranding existing franchises with little effort at creating new ones. And that might not hurt them in the short term, but it will in the longer run.

You guys are basically asking restaurants to mostly revamp their menu every month instead of offering the popular dishes for loyal costumers on a consitent basis and experimenting on the side.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You guys are basically asking restaurants to mostly revamp their menu every month instead of offering the popular dishes for loyal costumers on a consitent basis and experimenting on the side.

But I’m not asking anything. I understand why they want franchises. I’m saying at some point, if you don’t spend the R&D to create new ones, the well will eventually run dry. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think ever MCU film has been a hit?  apart from the Hulk? 

Yes I would think so because of the era of the dvds peak, an other one that was maybe below being a hit line was Captain America First Avenger making $370m on an 200m to 205m gross budget would not be a hit nowaday. But during that 2004 to 2010 period, maybe it was (and is once you consider the sequels)

• Like 1

Murder
F 4,081,785    -62    
S 5,883,396    -46    
S 3,842,381    -46    
WE 13,807,562    -52    
Cume 51,735,924

3 Billboards 53 locs
F 333,410    224    
S 452,161    261    
S 316,595    236    
WE 1,102,166    242    
Cume 1,536,391

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The studios tried other ways to be profitable aka survive (Godfather sequels, Pulp Fiction knock offs).

What you see now is the invisible hand of capitalism working its magic.

If you were given 100 million under the condition that you must spend all of it and you will only be allowed to keep the profits...

Be honest...Would you completely avoid franchise films and popular adaptations?

What would you invest in instead of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and Aladdin (which are pretty much guaranteed to make you a multimillionaire)?

I'm not a studio exec. I'm a consumer. And as a consumer I don't have to care about a studio's finances. It's their job to create a product that I and many others want to see. The problem is at least a quarter of the franchise films they put out nobody gives a shit about.