baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Top two will be unveiled tonight) The final two revealed on page 12

15 hours ago, Tower said:

Face/Off is the only film in the top 10 to not get any first place votes, but made up for it by being in the third most lists.

Mononoke was actually first place for a while, but in the last day a bunch of casuals submitted lists that left Mononoke out entirely, causing it to plummet. In fact the last list that was technically submitted after the deadline, caused it to drop another spot, and pushed up a far inferior film.

Was that me? :lol:

Which movie did I bump up? Never heard of Mononoke, btw.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

with its 105 million budget, Starship Troopers was like a Blade Runner 2049 type movie for its day. 

And its effects hold up a ton better than almost everything from around the same time and a lot of stuff from the 2000s too. 

• Like 7

Jackie Brown

Written and Directed by Quentin Tarantino, based on the novel by Elmore Leonard

Starring:  Robert DeNiro, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Keaton, Pam Grier, Chris Tucker

WW Box office:  39.6 Million

tumblr_owfwcn5rCh1txlwzzo1_500.jpg

The middle-aged stewardess Jackie Brown smuggles money from Mexico to Los Angeles for the arms dealer Ordell Robbie. When she gets caught by the agents Ray Nicolet and Mark Dargus with ten thousand dollars and cocaine in her purse, they propose a deal to her to help them to arrest Ordell in exchange of her freedom. Meanwhile Ordell asks the 56-year-old Max Cherry, who runs a bail bond business, to release Jackie Brown with the intention of eliminating her. Jackie suspects of Ordell's intention and plots a complicated confidence game with Max to steal half a million dollars from Ordell.

Quentin Tarantino met Robert Forster in a restaurant and handed him the script, saying "You're going to do this, and that's all there is to it". Forster was naturally thrilled, having had a major career slump. This film saw him come back in a big way, even landing an Oscar nomination.  When Pam Grier walked in to audition for Quentin Tarantino, "there were all my posters from twenty years ago, when I was just a piss and vinegar kid", she recalled. "And I said, 'Did you put these up because I was coming over?' And he said, 'No. I was gonna take them down because you were coming over!'"

And once again, Spike being Spike, "Spike Lee publicly criticized Tarantino for the frequent use of the word "nigger" in the film. Samuel L. Jackson, previously a frequent Lee collaborator, defended Tarantino in the press. Miramax chairman Harvey Weinstein called Lee in an attempt to mediate between him and Tarantino, but Lee refused to speak with Tarantino."

Number of First Place Votes:  1

Number of Lists:  18

Academy Awards:  0 wins and 1 nomination

Random Critic Comment:  One of the pleasures of "Jackie Brown,'' Tarantino's new film, based on a novel by Elmore Leonard, is that everybody in the movie is smart. Whoever is smartest will live.  Roger Ebert

Forum Member Comment:  I don't think it's the best QT film, or his only mature film, but it's definitely his calmest, most smooth and least over-the-top and as such, definitely occupies a special place in his filmography.  @Jake Gittes

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Top 5 seems easy enough to guess. Also looks like Lost Highway made it into the 26-29 division which is not great but mkay.

Please, make a guess, I'm curious.

2 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Please, make a guess, I'm curious.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

4. Good Will Hunting

3. LA Confidential

2. Boogie Nights

1. Titanic

Let's see how off that ranking is

• Haha 1

Well, here's how number one and two break down:

There is a 33 point difference between them.

The first place film got 6 number one votes

The second place film got 1 number one vote

The number one film was on 22 lists

The number two film was on 20 lists

• Like 1

It's a shame that more people on here haven't seen Mononoke yet. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think LA Confidential is gonna end up being numero uno

Probably, though Titanic does tend to be the more "loved" film on this board, so it wouldn't surprised me for it to be #1, or at least close. 

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Probably, though Titanic does tend to be the more "loved" film on this board, so it wouldn't surprised me for it to be #1, or at least close. 

I can see Boogie Nights stealing it from both of them.