A Marvel Fanboy

Prometheus OS thread

It will end up with a solid profit. The fact that it's an R rated scifi movie makes it even more impressive.But unfortunately wom isn't very good and a sequel is not a lock.

Maybe after DVD/bluray and on demand sales figure in. I loved the movie, but wish it made more. The production budget was $130m and it probably cost at least $60m for P&A worldwide. Conventional box office wisdom suggest you need to double your production and P&A costs to get into the black; in this case that would be $380m which probably won't happen during the theatrical run. I think it has been slightly confirmed (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/summer-movie-franchise-avengers-snow-white-magic-mike-356583) that a sequel will happen. It will be interesting to see how it performs based on the mediocre WOM of the first film.

Maybe after DVD/bluray and on demand sales figure in. I loved the movie, but wish it made more. The production budget was $130m and it probably cost at least $60m for P&A worldwide. Conventional box office wisdom suggest you need to double your production and P&A costs to get into the black; in this case that would be $380m which probably won't happen during the theatrical run. I think it has been slightly confirmed (http://www.hollywood...gic-mike-356583) that a sequel will happen. It will be interesting to see how it performs based on the mediocre WOM of the first film.

Italy,China and Japan are still to open.

Current holdovers will give it around another 10-15m so I'd say Prometheus will finish aronud 390-410m WW.

Yeah.. Its been pushed back in China.. Could help it to the high side..400 mill seems like a target

Yes, and I would really like this to pass $400m but I don't know if the remaining markets can yield another $70m or even $50m for that matter. But I really hope so..

if it is 390M od 410M is not important right now.it is still a lot for R rated film. (with 400M it will just miss top 10 of r-rated movies worldwide box office gross) not to mention promethues looks like a film made for much more. which suggest, if you know what you are up to before you start shooting you can reduce budget considerably.

if it is 390M od 410M is not important right now.it is still a lot for R rated film. (with 400M it will just miss top 10 of r-rated movies worldwide box office gross) not to mention promethues looks like a film made for much more. which suggest, if you know what you are up to before you start shooting you can reduce budget considerably.

400m would be really good.I had Prometheus at 150 Domestic and 265m OS for a WW total of 415m before release. And I agree the R rating and the genre was never gonna allow it to reach real blockbuster levels. Edited by Shpongle

It's a little important just because they spent so much money. This is pretty much how I feel about Prometheus financially: the numbers are extremely strong for an R rated, hard sci-fi film. But the numbers arn't great when considering the film cost about $200m to make and market and the performance (especially domestically) was very weak (meaning the weekly declines were very large and WOM was poor).Having said that, I think the film performed much much better than WOM would have suggested and I am happy to get a sequel!

It's a little important just because they spent so much money. This is pretty much how I feel about Prometheus financially: the numbers are extremely strong for an R rated, hard sci-fi film. But the numbers arn't great when considering the film cost about $200m to make and market and the performance (especially domestically) was very weak (meaning the weekly declines were very large and WOM was poor).Having said that, I think the film performed much much better than WOM would have suggested and I am happy to get a sequel!

every penny counts, i am the last one who would argue about 20M plus in theater ticket sales as not significant for Prometheus. What I meant was that right now it is not important. The studio has already agreed to do a sequel, their desision was based on prometheus box office numbers and what they expect to collect from other revenues. 20M in box office will not change anything about it. it would have to be 200M plus. :) Edited by dezorz