Ezen Baklattan

2017 Critics/Alternate Awards Discussion

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm thinking:

Shape of Water: 35%

Three Billboards: 35%

Get Out: 20%

Lady Bird: 10%

The last two's underperformance at BAFTA raises some red flags, but Lady Bird also didn't win anything at BFCA, which has never happened to a BP winner. The only thing going in its favor is preferential voting.

Except that BFCA trend is pretty irrelevant. Sure, it’s a trend but BFCA doesn’t have major bearing on how the academy will vote.

Missing an easy SAG nod (especially when Big Sick could easily have traded for Shape of Water) is a bigger issue imo than missing a BFCA win or even missing a BAFTA nod.

I do think missing the BAFTA nod is a troubling sign, but there’s more precedence of movies missing a BAFTA nod and winning then SAG.  Plus, more SAG voters are academy voters than BAFTA voters.

Plus, something to consider with PGA.  You can’t tell how close those preferential ballots won.  It could be a 2015 case where Big Short likely barey edged out a win.  If the full PGA is behind SoW then it’s a big factor, but if it’s only a slim majority (through the perefential ballot too, at that) then it’s not a secure spot for it.  I think we’ll be able to gage more if SoW picks up a few big wins like BAFTA, DGA (which I’m betting on, but wouldn’t say is a guarantee), WGA or ACE.  It probably needs at least two more ‘big’ wins to be in a frontrunner position.

That being said, I wouldn’t count out either four, and I wouldn’t say any of them are in a comfortable win position.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Except in each of those cases they lost.

Id actually say SoW is the least likely to break that stat (along with Revenant) simply because at least LLL sand Gravity weren’t ensemble movies.  Missing Best Ensemble as a very ensemble centric movie is a troubling sign for actor branch support.

If anything, I think PGA and DGA are slowly becoming less sure sign indicators of a frontrunner.

True, but I was talking about if we continue to see such strong contenders missing SAG nomination, at some point one of them will get a win. I think the key is winning PGA + DGA with the "frontrunner" with the SAG nomination being more divisive, a more interesting situation would be having the PGA + DGA + WGA winner missing SAG nomination, that'll challenge the stat to the greatest extent.

I agree that TSOW is less likely to break the stat than Gravity/LLL. However, I think the mentality of "this film is even weaker stat wise than such and such, and even that couldn't win" can be a bit misleading. I was thinking the same last year, if Moonlight couldn't even defeat hidden figures in SAG, how could a it (lone WGA winner) win against LLL, the PGA + DGA + BFCA + BAFTA + Globes winner with 14 nominations? Of course, that's exactly what happened. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

True, but I was talking about if we continue to see such strong contenders missing SAG nomination, at some point one of them will get a win. I think the key is winning PGA + DGA with the "frontrunner" with the SAG nomination being more divisive, a more interesting situation would be having the PGA + DGA + WGA winner missing SAG nomination, that'll challenge the stat to the greatest extent.

I agree that TSOW is less likely to break the stat than Gravity/LLL. However, I think the mentality of "this film is even weaker stat wise than such and such, and even that couldn't win" can be a bit misleading. I was thinking the same last year, if Moonlight couldn't even defeat hidden figures in SAG, how could a it (lone WGA winner) win against LLL, the PGA + DGA + BFCA + BAFTA + Globes winner with 14 nominations? Of course, that's exactly what happened. 

It doesn’t have to do with winning the SAG, it has to do with a nomination.  A nomination shows broad support, a win shows some passion.

Broad support matters more for preferential ballot.

The only time a movie won best picture without being nominated for SAG best ensemble was 1995 which was the first year for the ensemble award , since then every BP winner was nominated 

TSOW won Critics choice , PGA and most probably DGA . it will be fighting 3B for the Bafta and it has an uphill battle ( lost , most likely ) for the WGA against Lady Bird ( or maybe get out ? ) 

The acting branch is very significant and right now it seems that 3B and Lady bird have the most support here but they are coming up short on other branches 

will all of this support from different branches be enough to make up for the lack of support from the acting branch ? No idea , but TSOW is definitely top 3 right now , it could possibly creep up to top 2 after announcing the WGA , DGA and BAFTA awards 

I think last year was the first time the SAG stat became a big oscar race argument. And it happened because it was the only way you could argue that this race wasn't over. But by the end of that oscar race everyone was pretty much sure that the SAG stat will finally break and LLL will win because the unbreakable stat until then was that you have to get at least one of PGA/DGA/SAG win to get BP. In the end we were all wrong, Moonlight broke the unbreakable stat and now winning the big guilds is irrelevant and the SAG ensemble nomination is all that matters. 

I agree that SOW doesn't look like it will win BP but not because of a stupid stat. This year feels like a "statement" year (for the oscars and Hollywood in general) even more than 2016 because of Weinstein and SOW just isn't that so I think one of 3B/LB will prevail in the end even if SOW sweeps almost everything before oscar night. But that stupid stat will eventually break like every other stat before it, and then we can all argue about why a BFCA supporting actor nomination is really what locks a BP winner.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Joel M said:

I agree that SOW doesn't look like it will win BP but not because of a stupid stat. This year feels like a "statement" year (for the oscars and Hollywood in general) even more than 2016 because of Weinstein and SOW just isn't that so I think one of 3B/LB will prevail in the end even if SOW sweeps almost everything before oscar night. But that stupid stat will eventually break like every other stat before it, and then we can all argue about why a BFCA supporting actor nomination is really what locks a BP winner.

For the sake of keeping the Oscar race interesting I hope that stat breaks, because if it doesn't, no matter how exciting the best picture races are shaping up to be, come SAG nomination day, the BP choices are quickly narrowed down to 2 or 3 films (since they'll always nominate something like The Big Sick and Mudbound). That's where the fun kind of stops. This year, that was the moment of declaring CMBYN, The Post, TSOW and Dunkirk "dead", suddenly the race becomes fairly clear and it's easy to figure out, Get out and Lady Bird could put up a fight but soon we realize that they're all missing important nomination from The Globes and BAFTA and they're not winning enough. The film that wins quite a bit (TSOW) doesn't have the SAG nomination, so it's LLL, Gravity and The Revenant all over again. 

Edited by NCsoft

Regarding this year being a "message" year, I definitely agree that TSOW is not as fitting of a winner as 3BB, Lady Bird, and Get Out. But we know preferential ballot can be unpredictable (PGA has shown that again), and it's hard under that kind of voting system to collectively orient toward a goal (to send a message of feminism or anti-racism etc.), because  it's not just a popular contest anymore, it's more of the "least divisive" contest.

Since the preferential ballot thing started, the BP winner that's been the most divisive is probably Birdman, but that's a triple crown winner (PGA, SAG, DGA), which we know three billboards is not getting. Three billboard will head into the Oscars with Globe drama + SAG winner as the only guild win + maybe BAFTA, that's kind of a new situation. There's going to be some level of suspense until the BP envelope opens, unless if Three billboards miraculously wins DGA or something, then it's completely done.

• Like 2

London Critics Film Circle awards

FILM OF THE YEAR
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
Elle

DOCUMENTARY OF THE YEAR
I Am Not Your Negro

BRITISH/IRISH FILM OF THE YEAR: The Attenborough Award
Dunkirk

DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR
Sean Baker – The Florida Project

SCREENWRITER OF THE YEAR
Martin McDonagh – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

ACTRESS OF THE YEAR: Sponsored by Heaven Skincare
Frances McDormand – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

ACTOR OF THE YEAR
Timothée Chalamet – Call Me By Your Name

SUPPORTING ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
Lesley Manville – Phantom Thread

SUPPORTING ACTOR OF THE YEAR
Hugh Grant – Paddington 2

BRITISH/IRISH ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
Sally Hawkins – The Shape of Water/Maudie/Paddington 2

BRITISH/IRISH ACTOR OF THE YEAR 
Daniel Kaluuya – Get Out ( Jesus , they must really hate Oldman )

YOUNG BRITISH/IRISH PERFORMER OF THE YEAR

Harris Dickinson – Beach Rats

BREAKTHROUGH BRITISH/IRISH FILMMAKER
Francis Lee – God’s Own Country

BRITISH/IRISH SHORT FILM OF THE YEAR
We Love Moses – Dionne Edwards

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Blade Runner 2049 – Dennis Gassner, production design

EXCELLENCE IN FILM: The Dilys Powell Award
Kate Winslet

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Winning for her stunning performances in Wonder Wheel and The Mountain Between Us

And her flop press tour for Wonder Wheel where she talked about how wonderful working with Woody Allen was lmao.

Edited by filmlover