TigerPaw

Monday (27 Nov) - JL $2.1m - Down 76%, Coco 2.3M - Down 84%

8 minutes ago, RichWS said:

What is the conversation about at this point? There was a backlash but not among the GA? Most remakes are creative? 

In my opinion and many others, it's a cash grab. The script is completely lazy. There was no need to make it the way they did. And there was backlash among some of the GA, especially after it's release.

A lot of remakes/reboots have a lot more creativity in them than that did. As said earlier, there's a line between staying true to an original when you choose to remake/reboot a property and downright copying scenes and giving the audiences something they have already seen before down to the same lines of dialogue.

I wouldn't want to see any beloved film get recreated like that again in the future. Example: Back To The Future...if that was remade with virtually the same script, the same score, different actors and a few new scenes and musical pieces, I wouldn't be happy either. Same with Jaws, ET, etc.

Would those films make money? Probably. Is giving Hollywood the okay to do this a plus in my book. Not really.

If something is going to be remade, I think that film needs to be able to stand on it's own away from the original. A lot of films have gotten that balance right. Beauty And The Beast didn't.

But again, others have different views on this then I do.

Edited by somebody85

4 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Hmmmm.... If he worked hard, this is even worse. It says something about his quality.

Dude... even bad directors work their hardest. Having bad judgement is not the same as being lazy.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KeepItU25071906 said:

Hmmmm.... If he worked hard, this is even worse. It says something about his quality.

Other people seem to

Idk how someone who knows what a director does can suggest a big budget film just happened to come out without its director making significant decisions, but okay

7 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

No significant director's decision, just lacklaster copy of original.

I think I get what you are saying, not saying he didn't gave it all and was not exhausted after long days and was not lazy executing what he was trying to do.

But if we define the director roles for a story/script like this: Has find storytelling solution to tell that script in a cinematic ways using the tool (blocking, looks, production design, costumes, tone, sound, rhythm and so on), a lot of the hard choice work has been done for him with the previous entry.

I imagine we could sound ridiculous for people that have made movies that know how much there is left to do (a bit like people that do not want to talk about their movies idea fearing to get them stolen, versus people that know year's of work it take between that idea and a movie)

10 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

In my opinion and many others, it's a cash grab. The script is completely lazy. There was no need to make it the way they did. And there was backlash among some of the GA, especially after it's release.

A lot of remakes/reboots have a lot more creativity in them than that did. As said earlier, there's a line between staying true to an original when you choose to remake/reboot a property and downright copying scenes and giving the audiences something they have already seen before down to the same lines of dialogue.

I wouldn't want to see any beloved film get recreated like that again in the future. Example: Back To The Future...if that was remade with virtually the same script, the same score, different actors and a few new scenes and musical pieces, I wouldn't be happy either. Same with Jaws, ET, etc.

Would those films make money? Probably. Is giving Hollywood the okay to do this a plus in my book. Not really.

If something is going to be remade, I think that film needs to be able to stand on it's own away from the original. A lot of films have gotten that balance right. Beauty And The Beast didn't.

But again, others have different views on this then I do.

In the future - be like me - skip it and don't reward the lack of creativity.  I refunded my B&TB tickets after I saw the critical reviews and the 1st audience reactions...I loved the original, and if it was a beat-for-beat remake, I could just watch the original again.  I recently tried to get my spouse to watch it with me for a date night on Netflix, and even for free, he was a pass...I may watch it solo just to see if it meets my incredibly low expectations (b/c I hate creatively-deficient remakes), but it's just sitting there for now...

I have no plans to see Lion King, my favorite Disney animated movie ever, if it also is reported to be a beat for beat remake...this time, I won't even prebuy the tickets - I'll just wait to hear from all of you and the critics:)...

Although PLEASE may Star Wars 8 not be a beat for beat soft remake of ESB...b/c I am at that Saturday morning showing no matter what:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

So with all those Lady Bird comparisons to The Edge of Seventeen lately, I listened to some Hailee Steinfeld music...

I gotta say, she's a much better actress than singer :ph34r:

I didn't know that I was starving till I tasted you
Don't need no butterflies when you give me the whole damn zoo

:hahaha:

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

So with all those Lady Bird comparisons to The Edge of Seventeen lately, I listened to some Hailee Steinfeld music...

I gotta say, she's a much better actress than singer :ph34r:

Coolio once said she could be an A-list actress if she wasn't trying to be a D-list singer, and that's pretty accurate :lol: 

Love Myself is good though :ph34r: 

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I didn't know that I was starving till I tasted you
Don't need no butterflies when you give me the whole damn zoo

:hahaha:

Aw, but Starving is a fun song! Her music output has been the pits lately though. All of her collaborations are bland, and Most Girls is just a bad song :gold: 

Spoiler

cue the MRA jokes :ohmygod: 

Ок...

What we have: movie with bad flaw, any interesting visual or plot decision, any NEW (not copy from cartoon) memorable moment, Watson's acting ...you know... this movie has anything, what we can note like "+".

If you call this "hard work" I give up. Don't see any chance continue this conversation.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Aw, but Starving is a fun song! Her music output has been the pits lately though. All of her collaborations are bland, and Most Girls is just a bad song :gold: 

Reveal hidden contents

They're all bad songs. Don't let your attraction to her blind you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In the future - be like me - skip it and don't reward the lack of creativity.  I refunded my B&TB tickets after I saw the critical reviews and the 1st audience reactions...I loved the original, and if it was a beat-for-beat remake, I could just watch the original again.  I recently tried to get my spouse to watch it with me for a date night on Netflix, and even for free, he was a pass...I may watch it solo just to see if it meets my incredibly low expectations (b/c I hate creatively-deficient remakes), but it's just sitting there for now...

I have no plans to see Lion King, my favorite Disney animated movie ever, if it also is reported to be a beat for beat remake...this time, I won't even prebuy the tickets - I'll just wait to here from all of you and the critics:)...

Although PLEASE may Star Wars 8 not be a beat for beat soft remake of ESB...b/c I am at that Saturday morning showing no matter what:)...

Yeah, I tried watching it again and to me, it doesn't exist anymore. I had even more problems with it with an additional viewing. So I did try to give it another chance (and this time being further away from when I'd seen the animated version again).

But to be fair, it's not a total beat for beat remake. There are subtle changes here and there. It's more of a rework or an extended live action cut. But it's basically the same film outside of those things and none of those things improve the original. They mess up the pacing and some of the script changes add more problems. It feels like they were done to fill out time and not improve the story.

I have the same worries about The Lion King after seeing BATB's success. I really hope it's not the same thing because the cast is amazing. That's also my favorite animated film of all time.

And I also hope for the same with TLJ. So far it doesn't look like it though. And while ANH and TFA are similar I wouldn't call that the same scenario as Beauty And The Beast. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1