aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

1 hour ago, Julian1410 said:

I saw Coco on friday in IMAX and i absolutely adored it. But almost nobody showed up here (Netherlands) and i’ve yet to see a sold out showing. I think Europe is not gonna be Nice to Coco 

Moana was 303 in OS-China-Japan-Mexico.

If Coco can do 275 in comparison, then it should get to 750 ww with something like

55 Mexico + 150 China + 50 Japan + 220 Dom + 275 OS-China-Japan-Mexico

1 hour ago, Julian1410 said:

I saw Coco on friday in IMAX and i absolutely adored it. But almost nobody showed up here (Netherlands) and i’ve yet to see a sold out showing. I think Europe is not gonna be Nice to Coco 

At least France seems to be fine for Coco, a bit under Moana that did very well.

Just now, a2knet said:

Moana was 303 in OS-China-Japan-Mexico.

If Coco can do 275 in comparison, then it should get to 750 ww with something like

55 Mexico + 150 China + 50 Japan + 220 Dom + 275 OS-China-Japan-Mexico

Oh i hope it can make it. I recall that moana showings last Year here were very crowded. Moana was also better advertised. Btw the frozen short was received here with big Laughs and i have to honestly say that altough it was too long, it was entertaining

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

Sad because it isn't playing anywhere NEAR me. Thinking of playing my own staff screening of it one day, since I've wanted to see it in theatres for years.

Agreed with the fact that it's pretty much a perfectly made film. The acting, the music, the effects, the story, it's all so gripping and engrossing.

Lol you guys crack me up. The horrible lust story, 2D antagonist, stereotypical rich people, and just bad dialogue do not a perfect film make. Titanic blows. 

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Lol you guys crack me up. The horrible lust story, 2D antagonist, stereotypical rich people, and just bad dialogue do not a perfect film make. Titanic blows. 

tenor.gif    tenor.gif?itemid=5740837    tenor.gif?itemid=5511396

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

When I saw Titanic in 1997 and early 1998, I gave it an "A" rating. But seeing it the other day, I admit it hasn't aged all that well. Now I'd give it a B-. I basically agree that the core love story is plagued by poor character development and cookie-cutter scenarios. For starters, over 3 hours and 15 minutes, Cameron still fails to make me understand why Rose is such an awesome woman that two very different men would go balls to the walls for her in their own ways.

That said, I'd never actually revise my original "A" rating. At the time of its release, the movie was big, bold, and breathtaking, there was nothing else like it on the big screen. In the context of its time, it knocked your socks off from  a technical point of view, and watching it today one misses the enormous impact that Leo DC's performance had on the youth culture of the time. 

So when i say it hasn't aged well, I'm really just saying times have changed, which they always do. 

Edited by SteveJaros

From our China pros it looks like 150m is locked for COCO while 200m+ cannot be ruled out.

ZOOTP Dom and China, each being massive, still had some difference : 341 vs 232 (Dom is 47% bigger than China)

I think COCO's Dom and China will be much closer unless it's Dom keeps on chugging along like a mini-Frozen.

edit: If China + Dom combined brings 400m for COCO (say, 230 + 170), 800-900 ww is more likely than 700-800 ww.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

The reason Titanic hasn't aged imo is because the story is what makes the film so good.  The effects are good but that's not why most people fell in love with it.  It's a classic and timeless story about two lovers who can't be together for a multitude of reasons, one of them being death.

• Like 8

All this Justice League carry on made me forget for a second that Wonder Woman is the 20th biggest of any film unadjusted domestically. 

Only other solo movies in the top 20 are the two Dark Knight films. Incredible achievement. 

Wonder Woman is definitely the box office success story of the year for me, along with IT. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

All this Justice League carry on made me forget for a second that Wonder Woman is the 20th biggest of any film unadjusted domestically. 

Only other solo movies in the top 20 are the two Dark Knight films. Incredible achievement. 

Wonder Woman is definitely the box office success story of the year for me, along with IT. 

The thing it, it’s not overly surprising when a superhero movie makes that amount of money. An R rated horror movie making $100 + opening weekend and over $300 million in general is very surprising, especially when people keep saying R rated horror movies don’t make money.

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This is the third time you’ve posted the exact same thing.

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

The only thing titanic blows is every movie ever made out the water in admissions

• Like 2