DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Wow, they're really going to announce it that close to Star Wars? Thought they'd at least wait until next week.

Actually it makes sense. A big deal being on top of a huge opening for Star Wars will send the value of Disney stock through the roof.

• Like 1

This is an absolutely terrible idea. Consumers don’t win from this, neither does the future of the box office. Not sure why people are obsessed with Disney owning the world. Next Disney will buy Toyota, Mcdonalds, Pepsi, and Shell gas stations and I swear people will throw a parade because “now XMen can fight Avengers in my happy meal!!!!”

I'll spoiler my thoughts since I'm probably repeating what's been said, but IDC.

Spoiler

Disney’s #1 asset is their theme parks. WDW is so large that Disney annexed 2 actual cities for it that have their own mayor, city council, and fire department. The parks are their babies.

They didn’t buy Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and all that other stuff so they could bring you cool movies, they did it so they could have the rights to use those characters as they please, whether in be in their parks on or store shelves. The movies are the medium for them to do so.

Disney’s other main goal is to sell products. Sure Dory made $1 billion in gross ticket sales, but imagine how much more Dory can rake in in toys, clothing, furniture and bed sets (I had a Finding Nemo bathroom as a kid), home media, books, umbrellas, keychains, hats, shoes, dolls, food, school supplies, puzzles, apps, video and board games, phone cases, cups and glasses, costumes, dog sweaters, steering wheel covers, etc, etc.

Disney Princess Brand, Cars, Marvel, hell even that Disney Channel Descendants movie. They’re huge. It’s all huge. Half of Target is dedicated to Star Wars. Then another 1/4 is Mickey and Minnie Mouse. The women’s, children’s, and men’s section each have their own hubs of Disney products.

Disney wants to launch their own streaming service. This is the reason they axed their first run deal with Netflix. With Disney owning Fox, they get that library, which makes their streaming platform that much more valuable and marketable. With this deal, ESPN is supposed to get the Fox Sports regional networks, and ESPN as well is trying to launch their standalone service - so you see the stakes this has and how much it’d benefit. (ESPN is one of the biggest reasons your cable bill is so high to begin with).

In terms of the Disney-Fox movie deal, you already see what WD Pictures is now compared to say 1997. What was the last movie Disney made that doesn’t have an obvious merchandise agenda? Alexander’s Bad Day? Remember when Disney still made movies like Old Dogs, National Treasure (goat), The Pacifier, Remember the Titans, Mighty Joe Young, Holes, Cool Runnings, Flubber, etc? Now what do we get? Lion King reboots, Cinderella reboots, Beauty and Beast reboots, overdue Alice in Wonderland sequels, Mary Poppins sequels, Dumbo reboots, Mulan reboots…

I’m not saying this is all a negative, nor are all those 90's movies even good, but it’s obvious Disney's number one goal is synergy. They have a clear plan of set for what they want out of their film (and TV) divisions now to make that synergy happen. What bothers me is not that WDP isn’t making an Old Dogs 2 and shit, but that most of what they make now is too clearly molded for the park and shelf.

What will happen to the ambition that Fox allows? Who else is making A Cure For Wellness and Exodus? Who else is giving Kingsman’s and Alien’s creative team such freedom? Who else is giving us Netflix and Chill specialties like Why Him, Lets Be Cops, and Maze Runner? Who else is giving us Ice Age 10?

Disney is going to take all this and wipe it clean, save for Alvin and the Chipmunks, since they sell toys. Maybe Paramount or Lionsgate will pick up the slack, but why do we want them to when Fox is totally capable themselves? This will create a ripple at the box office, and will only incentive Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and others more in creating feature length content.

And then don’t forget people’s jobs. Disney is not going to keep everything status quo. Just as how ESPN just shed jobs - including some very popular and loyal journalists, Fox will be no different. And in a city like LA where housing alone costs 7 fingers, some of these people may even have to leave. Who knows.

Disney is great at synergy. Their cable networks, the movie division, the consumer products, the theme parks, the cruise line, it all flows pretty cohesively for such a large company. That said they are also mad for power.

Disney and Fox merging won’t be the end of the world, and it won’t be the end of freedom for us consumers, but it does put a dent in the tent. If your biggest concern is the XMen joining Marvel, then you need to stop being selfish and understand the bigger picture.

I grew up with Disney, will still buy their products, I applied for jobs with them, I even went to Disneyland back in July, and it was awesome, but there is a point when it can start to really feel like too much, and this is a one. I dont want them, Apple, Verizon, Google, anybody as my overload. They're big enough.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A big deal being on top of a huge opening for Star Wars will send the value of Disney stock through the roof.

I think that Star wars getting a huge opening is already fully accounted in the current Disney value.

I do not remember any case for a giant conglomerate, to have a movie huge opening moving a stock.

Force Awaken opening for example.

Disney stock price before it open

17 december 2015: $114.13 US

21 december 2015: $108.8 US (the monday after shattering the OW record)

When public company do something in general and maybe even more when they have to go through an legal approval process I imagine they have no control on deciding when to announce something major like that, that they do, the law and SEC must obligated them to tell the stockholder (and for large public company that pretty much every one).

It is a giant 60-70 billion deal here, I am not sure how and why the timing of the opening of one movie would even come to mind to anyone about any of this ?

Edited by Barnack

People say this is good because it creates competition, but really it creates more fragmentation than anything else, especially in the new world of streaming. A stigma was created that cable is “super expensive and millennials hate it” and that “cutting it will save you so much money”, so now everyone’s cutting it, yet ironically you’re now paying for the exact same services, just more fragmented and with poorer picture quality.

Spoiler

Soon every channel you already get with cable will have its own service. BET already has one. Turner’s got one coming in 2018, Boomerang has one, Lifetime has one, FX and Discovery are on the way, AMC has one for Comcast customers only (for now), Nick has one, CNN is open to it, hell even DC Comics is making one. Oh and don’t forget the possible Star Wars and/or Marvel subscription services. Let me remind you that you’re gonna have to pay for all of them by the way. Separately.

HBO started it in the TV industry: now everyone is trying to go standalone. Do you know how annoying it is to be able to stream the locals channels, but then have to pay $8 for CBS? What kind of shit is that? CBS wack anyway. Now you have to go all over the place for your content.

Look at the music industry: Pandora laid groundwork, then Spotify set a perfect model, then Tidal and Apple had to get greedy and almost fucked it up - and now here comes Youtube. Now you have to go all over the place for your content.

Sling, Directv Now, Youtube TV, Hulu TV, PS Vue, etc are all great options to lower the cable bill...but they all offer different channel packages. Now you have to go all over the place for your content.

Remember when I was binging 24 on Netflix and we had a couple of seasons left, and then Amazon bought the exclusive rights without telling anybody? To this day I still don’t know what happened to Jack Bauer after that Chinese prison stint because I have to go all over the place for-my-got-damn-content.

Putting all your chips in the hands of a few companies is not a great gamble. They control the content, what you pay, what you see, even what you hear - one company alone owns 1,200 radio stations in the US. Thats why you hear Despacito every 6 minutes. Look at the cable news networks. Even video games. For instance only EA can make NFL games. 2K can't touch it. That wasn't always the case, but now you take what EA's micro-transacting ass gives you or get nothing. That pretty much sums it up.

Who knows, Disney could say “we’re making no more blurays, sorry” and put all their content exclusively with their streaming service. Are you paying a monthly subscription? Moana is gas, and it’s already conveniently on Netflix. Now you’re telling me I’m gonna have to get a whole other monthly service so I can enjoy "You’re Welcome?" Not like it's in Redbox anymore. It’s all exhausting. Yes I’m cheap, but that’s not my biggest issue, my biggest issue is all this fragmentation, and paradoxically, limiting of choices.

I don’t like this deal, and honestly wish the big 6 conglomerates didn’t have as much power already. If it’s initially successful, it’ll be emulated even more. What if Sony jumps to WB? Paramount to Universal? What if other media companies grab them? Im sure Comcast is hungry for more, look at their new tall ass buildings in Philly. They have to do something with them.

AT&T wants to buy Time Warner. What happens if AT&T gets a hold of Turner and WB? What if they give extra content perks to AT&T customers while holding out on non-customers? You already get extra perks if you have Directv too. I have Directv, but I’m Verizon cellular, so shit does me no good.

Look at Verizon buying up half the world. On one hand, they’re building their assets and diversifying their company like you're supposed to do, yet on the other hand, that’s just more control for them, and less for you as the consumer. They just signed a $2.5 billion deal with the NFL so they can stream games on Yahoo and AOL, which they now own. They also just created a new content company called “Oath.” What if they buy say Paramount and/or Viacom and funnel content through Oath. What if they buy Spotify and USA Today too for funzies. What if they sign a big exclusive rights deal with the current hottest singer, TV show, and movie series? You getting an Oath subscription too?

Hell what if Amazon buys one of the studio's and you only get exclusive perks or content if you shop at Whole Foods and have Prime? Or Google? What if Apple buys one, but you have to have an Apple TV to enjoy the content. Shit imagine Microsoft buying a studio and you can only download the movies through Internet Explorer or whatever the hell it is now. That's nightmarish.

I know nerds are creating waterfalls upon waterfalls of saliva at the prospect of seeing XMen fight Avengers, but A. that’s not guaranteed to even happen, B. it's not guaranteed to be what you've been "hoping for", C. there are stipulations, and D. do you understand that this could create a paradigm in the industry and have negative effects on your content? Probs not cuz Xmen!!!.

But hey with that extra $4,000 we’ll be getting from our taxes, that’ll be more than enough to cover your Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, HBO, Disney, Showtime, Cinemax, Apple Music, Sling, Youtube, Playstation, Google Play, Vudu, Starz, AMC, Turner, Tidal, Redbox, Itunes, Criterion Collection, Directv, FX, Cinemark, Nintendo, Spotify, Movie Pass, Discovery, Oath, Nickelodeon, Twitch, Star Wars, and Amazon Prime subscriptions......and your monthly AT&T-Time Warner internet and AT&T/Verizon phone bill that you have to have to enjoy any of those in the first place.

Just so you can watch Xmen fight Avengers for about 20 minutes while making reaction faces for another 40. Same people screaming "net neutrality!" are the same ones praying this goes through. It's not different.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

This is an absolutely terrible idea. Consumers don’t win from this, neither does the future of the box office. Not sure why people are obsessed with Disney owning the world. Next Disney will buy Toyota, Mcdonalds, Pepsi, and Shell gas stations and I swear people will throw a parade because “now XMen can fight Avengers in my happy meal!!!!”

I'll spoiler my thoughts since I'm probably repeating what's been said, but IDC.

Hide contents

Disney’s #1 asset is their theme parks. WDW is so large that Disney annexed 2 actual cities for it that have their own mayor, city council, and fire department. The parks are their babies.

They didn’t buy Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and all that other stuff so they could bring you cool movies, they did it so they could have the rights to use those characters as they please, whether in be in their parks on or store shelves. The movies are the medium for them to do so.

Disney’s other main goal is to sell products. Sure Dory made $1 billion in gross ticket sales, but imagine how much more Dory can rake in in toys, clothing, furniture and bed sets (I had a Finding Nemo bathroom as a kid), home media, books, umbrellas, keychains, hats, shoes, dolls, food, school supplies, puzzles, apps, video and board games, phone cases, cups and glasses, costumes, dog sweaters, steering wheel covers, etc, etc.

Disney Princess Brand, Cars, Marvel, hell even that Disney Channel Descendants movie. They’re huge. It’s all huge. Half of Target is dedicated to Star Wars. Then another 1/4 is Mickey and Minnie Mouse. The women’s, children’s, and men’s section each have their own hubs of Disney products.

Disney wants to launch their own streaming service. This is the reason they axed their first run deal with Netflix. With Disney owning Fox, they get that library, which makes their streaming platform that much more valuable and marketable. With this deal, ESPN is supposed to get the Fox Sports regional networks, and ESPN as well is trying to launch their standalone service - so you see the stakes this has and how much it’d benefit. (ESPN is one of the biggest reasons your cable bill is so high to begin with).

In terms of the Disney-Fox movie deal, you already see what WD Pictures is now compared to say 1997. What was the last movie Disney made that doesn’t have an obvious merchandise agenda? Alexander’s Bad Day? Remember when Disney still made movies like Old Dogs, National Treasure (goat), The Pacifier, Remember the Titans, Mighty Joe Young, Holes, Cool Runnings, Flubber, etc? Now what do we get? Lion King reboots, Cinderella reboots, Beauty and Beast reboots, overdue Alice in Wonderland sequels, Mary Poppins sequels, Dumbo reboots, Mulan reboots…

I’m not saying this is all a negative, nor are all those 90's movies even good, but it’s obvious Disney's number one goal is synergy. They have a clear plan of set for what they want out of their film (and TV) divisions now to make that synergy happen. What bothers me is not that WDP isn’t making an Old Dogs 2 and shit, but that most of what they make now is too clearly molded for the park and shelf.

What will happen to the ambition that Fox allows? Who else is making A Cure For Wellness and Exodus? Who else is giving Kingsman’s and Alien’s creative team such freedom? Who else is giving us Netflix and Chill specialties like Why Him, Lets Be Cops, and Maze Runner? Who else is giving us Ice Age 10?

Disney is going to take all this and wipe it clean, save for Alvin and the Chipmunks, since they sell toys. Maybe Paramount or Lionsgate will pick up the slack, but why do we want them to when Fox is totally capable themselves? This will create a ripple at the box office, and will only incentive Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and others more in creating feature length content.

And then don’t forget people’s jobs. Disney is not going to keep everything status quo. Just as how ESPN just shed jobs - including some very popular and loyal journalists, Fox will be no different. And in a city like LA where housing alone costs 7 fingers, some of these people may even have to leave. Who knows.

Disney is great at synergy. Their cable networks, the movie division, the consumer products, the theme parks, the cruise line, it all flows pretty cohesively for such a large company. That said they are also mad for power.

Disney and Fox merging won’t be the end of the world, and it won’t be the end of freedom for us consumers, but it does put a dent in the tent. If your biggest concern is the XMen joining Marvel, then you need to stop being selfish and understand the bigger picture.

I grew up with Disney, will still buy their products, I applied for jobs with them, I even went to Disneyland back in July, and it was awesome, but there is a point when it can start to really feel like too much, and this is a one. I dont want them, Apple, Verizon, Google, anybody as my overload. They're big enough.

5 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

People say this is good because it creates competition, but really it creates more fragmentation than anything else, especially in the new world of streaming. A stigma was created that cable is “super expensive and millennials hate it” and that “cutting it will save you so much money”, so now everyone’s cutting it, yet ironically you’re now paying for the exact same services, just more fragmented and with poorer picture quality.

Hide contents

Soon every channel you already get with cable will have its own service. BET already has one. Turner’s got one coming in 2018, Boomerang has one, Lifetime has one, FX and Discovery are on the way, AMC has one for Comcast customers only (for now), Nick has one, CNN is open to it, hell even DC Comics is making one. Oh and don’t forget the possible Star Wars and/or Marvel subscription services. Let me remind you that you’re gonna have to pay for all of them by the way. Separately.

HBO started it in the TV industry: now everyone is trying to go standalone. Do you know how annoying it is to be able to stream the locals channels, but then have to pay $8 for CBS? What kind of shit is that? CBS wack anyway. Now you have to go all over the place for your content.

Look at the music industry: Pandora laid groundwork, then Spotify set a perfect model, then Tidal and Apple had to get greedy and almost fucked it up - and now here comes Youtube. Now you have to go all over the place for your content.

Sling, Directv Now, Youtube TV, Hulu TV, PS Vue, etc are all great options to lower the cable bill...but they all offer different channel packages. Now you have to go all over the place for your content.

Remember when I was binging 24 on Netflix and we had a couple of seasons left, and then Amazon bought the exclusive rights without telling anybody? To this day I still don’t know what happened to Jack Bauer after that Chinese prison stint because I have to go all over the place for-my-got-damn-content.

Putting all your chips in the hands of a few companies is not a great gamble. They control the content, what you pay, what you see, even what you hear - one company alone owns 1,200 radio stations in the US. Thats why you hear Despacito every 6 minutes. Look at the cable news networks. Even video games. For instance only EA can make NFL games. 2K can't touch it. That wasn't always the case, but now you take what EA's micro-transacting ass gives you or get nothing. That pretty much sums it up.

Who knows, Disney could say “we’re making no more blurays, sorry” and put all their content exclusively with their streaming service. Are you paying a monthly subscription? Moana is gas, and it’s already conveniently on Netflix. Now you’re telling me I’m gonna have to get a whole other monthly service so I can enjoy "You’re Welcome?" Not like it's in Redbox anymore. It’s all exhausting. Yes I’m cheap, but that’s not my biggest issue, my biggest issue is all this fragmentation, and paradoxically, limiting of choices.

I don’t like this deal, and honestly wish the big 6 conglomerates didn’t have as much power already. If it’s initially successful, it’ll be emulated even more. What if Sony jumps to WB? Paramount to Universal? What if other media companies grab them? Im sure Comcast is hungry for more, look at their new tall ass buildings in Philly. They have to do something with them.

AT&T wants to buy Time Warner. What happens if AT&T gets a hold of Turner and WB? What if they give extra content perks to AT&T customers while holding out on non-customers? You already get extra perks if you have Directv too. I have Directv, but I’m Verizon cellular, so shit does me no good.

Look at Verizon buying up half the world. On one hand, they’re building their assets and diversifying their company like you're supposed to do, yet on the other hand, that’s just more control for them, and less for you as the consumer. They just signed a $2.5 billion deal with the NFL so they can stream games on Yahoo and AOL, which they now own. They also just created a new content company called “Oath.” What if they buy say Paramount and/or Viacom and funnel content through Oath. What if they buy Spotify and USA Today too for funzies. What if they sign a big exclusive rights deal with the current hottest singer, TV show, and movie series? You getting an Oath subscription too?

Hell what if Amazon buys one of the studio's and you only get exclusive perks or content if you shop at Whole Foods and have Prime? Or Google? What if Apple buys one, but you have to have an Apple TV to enjoy the content. Shit imagine Microsoft buying a studio and you can only download the movies through Internet Explorer or whatever the hell it is now. That's nightmarish.

I know nerds are creating waterfalls upon waterfalls of saliva at the prospect of seeing XMen fight Avengers, but A. that’s not guaranteed to even happen, B. it's not guaranteed to be what you've been "hoping for", C. there are stipulations, and D. do you understand that this could create a paradigm in the industry and have negative effects on your content? Probs not cuz Xmen!!!.

But hey with that extra $4,000 we’ll be getting from our taxes, that’ll be more than enough to cover your Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, HBO, Disney, Showtime, Cinemax, Apple Music, Sling, Youtube, Playstation, Google Play, Vudu, Starz, AMC, Turner, Tidal, Redbox, Itunes, Criterion Collection, Directv, FX, Cinemark, Nintendo, Spotify, Movie Pass, Discovery, Oath, Nickelodeon, Twitch, Star Wars, and Amazon Prime subscriptions......and your monthly AT&T-Time Warner internet and AT&T/Verizon phone bill that you have to have to enjoy any of those in the first place.

Just so you can watch Xmen fight Avengers for about 20 minutes while making reaction faces for another 40. Same people screaming "net neutrality!" are the same ones praying this goes through. It's not different.

msy.gif

It's good to have you back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The reason why a lot of people are cheerleading Disney is because people have an emotional connection to that brand that they just don't with Fox or WB or so forth, unless you're a movie buff then the Fox fanfare or the old WB shield logo. Hell look at the cult of personality around Walt Disney, a successful movie tycoon for his era sure but how many non-movie buff people recognize much less care as much about Jack Warner or the studio studio moguls from that Golden Age of Hollywood?

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it's a given someone will buy Paramount down the line. They've had a pretty rotten year, and next year doesn't look to be much better for them.

Comcast could buy them or the Sony film/TV division from Sony's hands.

28 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Hide contents

Love you for mentioning A Cure for Wellness <3

Just now, RRA said:

Comcast (30%) and Time-Warner (10%) might not care for that. 

They’ll have two options. 

1.Accept a buyout offer from Disney for their shares

2.See how Hulu goes with all Disney/Fox shows gone from it 

• Like 1

With Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and possibly Google jumping into content creation - there will be enough competition for content in the future.

If Disney stopped making R-rated movies (their own follies if that happens), then someone else will pick up the vacancies.

Disney is not doing this because they want the whole pie. They have to do it because they are afraid of the newcomers that have thicker wads of cash than they have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Actually it makes sense. A big deal being on top of a huge opening for Star Wars will send the value of Disney stock through the roof.

I mean I get that part. But people are going to be talking about the Marvel crossovers instead of Star Wars. There will probably be a ton of articles about it.