CJohn

The Expendables 2 OS thread

It all depends on who is directing it, who stars in it and the marketing. Both movies have largely centred on Stallone, and while it hurts me to say this, he is not a worldwide draw anymore alone. The third movie needs to include him into the team but have all the other stars taking centre stage as well. I know that Barney Ross is the leader, and he still can be, but for major success it needs to be considered an action fest first and a Stallone vehicle second, and the first two don't quite make that distinction for me (of course i like that being a Stallone fan, but others do not).If John Woo directed, Travolta and Cage appear as villains, The Rock as their henchman, then you'll be seeing $400m overseas and $200m domestically. It needs to be marketed like a blockbuster and not a niche action movie that is targeting the nostalgic viewer, if it is to make the big bucks.

• Like 1

If it had all of what you mentioned Algren, then I agree it would be very big everywhere. But I also think that by getting The Rock you are taking away from the yesterday action hero and putting in the biggest star in today's landscape. I would personally like to see Clint and Harry get a role.

Even by adding The Rock, there is still going to be Stallone, Bruce, Dolph etc and all the oldies. Statham is new too. We need some new ones in order to make big bucks, otherwise it will stay in the realms of 'those old guys playing with their toy guns', which is how a lot of people view it, unfortunately.

• Like 1

NOTE: When checking BOMs foreign grosses by market for TE2, East Africa has a gross of $2,661,741. That is wrong. That is actually South Korea's opening weekend gross. It's been placed in the East Africa slot by Ray by mistake. I know that is wrong because if that were true, TE2 would be East Africa's biggest grossing film ever, making TDKR's gross 9 times over ... all one weekend. lol

I suspect that TE2 does have a gross for East Africa, but it looks like we'll have to wait for a future update for that to be rectified.

• Like 1