CJohn

The Expendables 2 OS thread

according to what I have heard. Expendables 2 overseas gross isn;t that great because most of its gross came from China and the studio only gets a small percentage of Chinese gross. Anyone can verify that?

As far as I know they sold all of the OS rights in advance, so they don't actually get any of the gross from any market.

Tower is correct. The WW gross is fantastic because Millenium are already in profit even before the film was released, plus the distributors are making profits from the fee they paid to Millenium, so a third movie will definitely happen.Now to nitpick; most of its gross did not come from China. It has made $201.5m overseas, of which $50m has come from China. That's a quarter. But regardless, its WW gross is fantastic.

• Like 1

Yeah, good TE2 WW box office means Millenium can sell TE3's distribution rights at better prices. And higher distribution right price for bigger OS market. Selling rights or sharing BO gross, as long as the producer makes money, it doesnt matter.

Edited by firedeep

I think Avi Lerner is more of a 'selling rights' type of person than a 'BO sharing' type of man. It's too risky.

Yeah. I think he wants to lock in his profits before release. The distributors are basically taking most of the risk, but if the movie does really well, they take almost all the BO rewards. Of course, when Avi makes a sequel he may demand more for distribution rights.

It's doing some really big numbers OS. There is a slim chance that it crossed 300m WW this weekend.It will be interesting to see what new faces they will bring for the third. I hope they keep the same tone as the sequel but have a stronger plot.

It needs $15m since last sunday to make $300m WW by this sunday. Is that possible when it had one new opening (Colombia) and its biggest holdover (China) has cut the majority of its screens? I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say no. But it will get there eventually, so no worries.Chile and Japan will give it more money in October, so it will definitely reach $315m WW.

News on the Japanese release:

The company that is in charge of distribution there has partnered with a condom company and they are promoting The Expendables 2 on condom packets. Not really the right sort of message considering the movie is about people that are 'expendable'.

Opens on Oct 20.

• Like 1

News on the Japanese release:

The company that is in charge of distribution there has partnered with a condom company and they are promoting The Expendables 2 on condom packets. Not really the right sort of message considering the movie is about people that are 'expendable'.

Opens on Oct 20.

:blink: