CJohn

The Expendables 2 OS thread

It was expected to increase, but not to get $50m+. It wasn't even getting a release in China upto 7 days prior to its release date.

DH1: 33M; DH2: 65MKFP: 26M; KFP2: 100MFast4: 4M; Fast5: 41MMadagascar2: 5M; Madagascar3: 34MJouney1: 10M; Journey2: 61MIce Age3: 23M; Ice Age4: 73MTransformers2: 63M; Transformers3: 175MSo yes, a big increase is quite normal, including many jumps that are much more impressive than Expendables. There is no need in getting surprised every time sequels see large increases, it is much more surprising when they don't (like WOTT).

Given that release date, 50M for EX2 is a surprise.

Not just the release date, although I agree about that, but also the way it was decided; 1 week before the release it was not going to open at all, then a surprise opening on Sep 4. That cannot be good for business....yet is STILL managed a great opening and a great total gross of $50m+. Just amazing. :)It's been managed very well so far by cinema owners, lots of showtimes, lots of money.
  • Like 1

I don't have any numbers yet, but needless to say that it's over TE1's WW total of $274m. I have it at $277m with only a few of this weekends' markets added to the total. Got 90% still to add, which will undoubtedly push it over $200m.It has $1.2m in Taiwan so far, and it finished #24 this weekend, so that run is almost over. I'll just report that one because that market is missing from BOMs coverage. Well, and China, of which it finished #2 this weekend with a total of $47.9m.

It's pretty much bombed in South Korea, or at least played out like we all expected anyway. Only 2 weeks in the top 10, then gone. I have a sneaking suspicion that Japan might be like that too. I know that Stallone and these big action stars do have a following in Japan, but I just remember the first movies' reception; I was expecting good numbers and it wound up with a measly $10.8m.

In the USA, 10.2m people have seen the movie. In China, 9.1m people have seen it. This really highlights the gulf in ticket prices because their dollar grosses are more than $30m apart. Mexico is the next popular with 3.2m admissions. Although I am sure Brazil will be near that as of 23rd Sep (it was at 2.3m admissions on Sep 16). The surprise admissions total is Russia, only 2.4m admissions, but a whopping total of $17.6m. TE2 doesn't seem to want to leave Turkey, after 6 weekends it is still doing good business even after 547,000 people have see the movie.

Lionsgate have nothing to be released until Jan 4, 2013. I'm sure they're not worrying coming off their most successful year ever by miles, but still, you'd have thought they'd have planned for a release in the fourth quarter.

Perhaps they are concentrating on DVD and Blu-Ray sales and whatever (if any) they have coming out in the UK.

The Expendables 2 was their 2nd biggest hit domestically, overseas and worldwide in 2012 behind that stupid Battle Royale rip-off. :P

• Like 1