the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

Bigger 2017 Nostalgia Box Office Bump Surprise: "It" or "Jumanji". 

Well both were remakes and adaptations of Successful Books.   "It" was a television mini series and 'Jumanji" was a film.   Both came out in the 90's.   I have to honest here and say "It" is the bigger surprise.  For one, it's horror.  Horror films don't gross 300 Million domestic traditionally.  It just doesn't happen.   (Though the Exorcist adjust way pass 300 and a few others).   Next, "It" cost much less than "Jumanji" in production and marketing.   Lastly, "Jumanji" had much more bankable and marketable stars in the leads (Hart, Rock, Black).   

Yes "It" had "From the Mind of Stephen King" in the marketing but as far star power, "Jumanji" had much more.   Also "It" did it in September as school was starting were as "Jumanji" did it during the Christmas-New Years Holiday with school being on break.   In No way do I want to take away what "Jumanji" has done.  It's had a fantastic run, but "It" and "Get Out" for that matter was the biggest Surprise of the Year to me based on the History of Horror Box Office.   But give "Jumanji" it's props, I didn't hear many 300 Domestic predicts or even in pre-tracking.  Speaking of Low-Budget Horror, Congrats to the "Insidious" Series.  Amazing Box Office and very good budgets.  

4 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Bigger 2017 Nostalgia Box Office Bump Surprise: "It" or "Jumanji". 

Well both were remakes and adaptations of Successful Books.   "It" was a television mini series and 'Jumanji" was a film.   Both came out in the 90's.   I have to honest here and say "It" is the bigger surprise.  For one, it's horror.  Horror films don't gross 300 Million domestic traditionally.  It just doesn't happen.   (Though the Exorcist adjust way pass 300 and a few others).   Next, "It" cost much less than "Jumanji" in production and marketing.   Lastly, "Jumanji" had much more bankable and marketable stars in the leads (Hart, Rock, Black).   

Yes "It" had "From the Mind of Stephen King" in the marketing but as far star power, "Jumanji" had much more.   Also "It" did it in September as school was starting were as "Jumanji" did it during the Christmas-New Years Holiday with school being on break.   In No way do I want to take away what "Jumanji" has done.  It's had a fantastic run, but "It" and "Get Out" for that matter was the biggest Surprise of the Year to me based on the History of Horror Box Office.   But give "Jumanji" it's props, I didn't hear many 300 Domestic predicts or even in pre-tracking.  Speaking of Low-Budget Horror, Congrats to the "Insidious" Series.  Amazing Box Office and very good budgets.  

IT because it was rated R and a horror film about a clown killing children that opened in September. 

Jumanji was a family film that opened at Christmas with a big name cast (although their drawing power is patchy). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

people should not downplay TLJ underperformance after opening weekend, once the domestic grows sour of Star Wars, the franchise is in trouble with only some overseas markets performing well

You can't be serious saying movie that is likely to make 700M+ intl. (considering China will contribute with quite a little to that amount) is "performing well only in some markets". 

There is no movie performing exceptionally well in all markets. Every movie has its own peak markets, and SW's are UE, UK, Aus/NZ and Japan. As for the Furious franchise is basically China. If you remove China's bo from Furious intl. then you get a mediocre 500-700M intl. only, according to your statement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, meriodejaneiro said:

There is no movie performing exceptionally well in all markets. Every movie has its own peak markets, and SW's are UE, UK, Aus/NZ and Japan

And France and Germany and Scandinavia (They are little markets but SW is successful there. Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway and Sweden grosses $51M for TFA combined.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

You can't be serious saying movie that is likely to make 700M+ intl. (considering China will contribute with quite a little to that amount) is "performing well only in some markets". 

There is no movie performing exceptionally well in all markets. Every movie has its own peak markets, and SW's are UE, UK, Aus/NZ and Japan. As for the Furious franchise is basically China. If you remove China's bo from Furious intl. then you get a mediocre 500-700M intl. only, according to your statement.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

And France and Germany and Scandinavia (They are little markets but SW is successful there. Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway and Sweden grosses $51M for TFA combined.)

So you cherry pick what markets it's doing not so well in and ignore the ones that are going to propel it to more than 700 million.  

I apoogize. I quoted the wrong person.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

So you cherry pick what markets it's doing not so well in and ignore the ones that are going to propel it to more than 700 million.  

giphy.gif

I think they're listing the markets that are doing well...

Edited by IronJimbo

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

giphy.gif

Where did I cherry pick markets it's doing not so well in?:winomg:

Edited by Taruseth

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Can we all agree that Harry Potter was the most widely popular franchise worldwilde? Not a single continent that it wasn't doing greatly.

I'll let this pass for now on a small technicality on whether Avatar can be a franchise with just one film. It's a media franchise (comic book,book,game, film) and has a damn theme park!

• Like 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I'll let this pass for now on a small technicality on whether Avatar can be a franchise with just one film. It's a media franchise (comic book,book,game, film) and has a damn theme park!

Avatar was a global phenomenon sure and you know I am high on the sequels but we need to give it a bit more time to prove itself at least with a couple of movies more.

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I guess some people don't give a fuck about context.  Some movies make a billion.  Cool.  Take a look at a movie like IT.  It made about $700M.  On a $30M budget.  To me that's a bigger story than a movie that cost $200M+ to make and hundreds of millions in marketing crossing a billion. 

If TLJ didn't cross a billion than something went TERRIBLY wrong...   

So things went terribly wrong for SM2, SM3, GOTG2, Spectre,  JL (well, here it did actually), BvS, MoS ... all 200M+ budgeters and under $1B ww. 

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Avatar was a global phenomenon sure and you know I am high on the sequels but we need to give it a bit more time to prove itself at least with a couple of movies more.

Ok, June 2022 after Avatar 3 finally makes less than $1m dollar daily we'll be able to agree.

A2 - Dec2020

A3 - Dec2021

A4 - Dec2024

A5 - Dec2025

24 minutes ago, Son Tung M-TP said:

Avatar, true. That makes one out of 1q237r12349785891072038947109723098r719872349807109283589q7459 movies made ever since. 

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That's because it's a good movie on it's own merit, rather than an entrenchment to previous films and not particularly good without nostalgia.

So, for your standards and exigences and criticism with TLJ box office run ... I hope Avatar 2 makes 1B dom and some 3-4B ww. Otherwise it could be considered a failure, right? Because Avatar should have the potential of overgross in all ww markets since it's a huge brand. For every market A2 won't surpass A1's box office there will be someone here reminding you the failure it means for the brand, blah blah blah... 

11 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

That's what i meant with UE in general ;)

I thought you wanted to typ US :lol:

That was my problem:

2 minutes ago, George Parr said:

For a German, the term UE doesn't mean anything, because it gets called EU here (and in most EU-countries :P )