the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

28 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Without meaning to undervalue the astonishing Avatar run ... it benefited from a very favorable exchange rate. 

Could be interesting to calculate market by market what Avatar would have made intl. at 1997 $ rate (Titanic year) and at 2015 $ rate (TFA year). But that's a huge work and research. 

----

Even harder, because at 1997 Euro wasn't even there, so a big bunch of local currencies to check.

This is arguably the best source in the entire web for this, an excellent thread;

According to it, Avatar adjusts to $1,6b OS in today's ER, TFA to $1.1b.

Avatar is also to $1.8b with today's ticket price and ER.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

I remember seeing that chart, as well as one for TFA with 2010 exchange rates. Avatar was ahead in both, but I don't think it was adjusted for different ticket prices and market size though. 

In December 2020 the market growth and ticket price inflation far outdo the current exchange rate difference from Dec 2009 to now.

Whose to say where the exchange rate ends up in December 2020 though, I mean if you know why don't you buy some stocks and make some millions.

• Thanks 1

Going to see Jumanji lol.

The trailers still look like absolute ass. But there’s obviously something enjoyable or it wouldn’t be doing so well. I don’t like The Rock films and my boyfriend hates Kevin Hart.

But there’s nothing else out in the UK just now and Mollys Game is sold out. 

• Like 2

Going to see Jumanji lol.

The trailers still look like absolute ass. But there’s obviously something enjoyable or it wouldn’t be doing so well. I don’t like The Rock films and my boyfriend hates Kevin Hart.

But there’s nothing else out in the UK just now and Mollys Game is sold out.

I am looking forward to reading your Jumanji review.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I remember seeing that chart, as well as one for TFA with 2010 exchange rates. Avatar was ahead in both, but I don't think it was adjusted for different ticket prices and market size though. 

yes, avatar will still make more money than SW7 with poorer ex.rate, but the chart that you mentioned,for sure it didn't get adjusted for those reason,  avatar wouldn't "just" get 214m in china if it release now....

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

yes, avatar will still make more money than SW7 with poorer ex.rate, but the chart that you mentioned,for sure it didn't get adjusted for those reason,  avatar wouldn't "just" get 214m in china if it release now....

First film to make $1b in a single market, A2 in China, unless a wolf warrior 3 gets there first.:D

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

USA has been the biggest movie market for a century, now it is losing its ground quickly....

It's limited by it's population, they will have a far higher turnout than China for the rest of cinema.

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Wolf Warrior is way more likely than Avatar. 

I'm not sure if Wolf Warrior 3 is even confirmed yet.

Avatar was the highest grossing film of all time in China when it was released, by far. When you look at the Chinese top 50 highest grossers Avatar comes in at #11, appearing as the only film from the last decade.

It wasn't beaten for 6 damn years in 2015, where China's market had boomed. They really loved Avatar.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm not sure if Wolf Warrior 3 is even confirmed yet.

Avatar was the highest grossing film of all time in China when it was released, by far. When you look at the Chinese top 50 highest grossers Avatar comes in at #11, appearing as the only film from the last decade.

It wasn't beaten for 6 damn years in 2015, where China's market had boomed. They really loved Avatar.

Wolf Warrior 3 got confirmed in the credits for 2.

• Like 2

Saw TLJ for the fifth time yesterday and I have to admit for selfish reasons I am glad Disney instituted a 30 day period where the movie needs to be shown in a theater's largest screen.  I think the movie is great anyways but the better sound and larger screen only enhance the movie even more for me.

Now that NFL playoffs are in full swing I am going to compare (I admit not a great analogy) TLJ's BO run to a team's run in the playoffs. Ultimately, TLJ will win the BO Superbowl (highest WW total for 2017). Its home record was 6-2, overall a very very good performance but just below the very best (Avatar and TFA have 8-0 records and TA, JW and Titanic have 7-1 records). On the road (overseas), TJL went a very respectable 5-3, playing very well in Europe but getting crushed badly in one particular away game (China).

Speaking of football it would be cool if there was a QBR equivalent for box office performance. It would include looking at total WW gross, DOM and Foreign gross, OW multiplier, exchange rate fluctuations, % of revenues from 3D,  Imax and other large screen formats, trailer views, and availability of other forms of entertainment to consumers (streaming today, home video formats etc) and whatever else you want to throw in.

• Like 1