La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

6 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Very true. 

But these reviews are really getting into describing press/audience members coming away really disturbed and shaken. Which I can’t recall about those movies. Might be wrong though. 

And I hope this is a great movie, I always give every film a chance by going to see it.  I never want a horror film to suck.  So I am hopeful this one turns out to be great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Don't ever trust marketing, then. Makes things a lot easier.

But when you are told by critics and therefore it is splashed across the screen in the trailer that you are seeing the "scariest film since Rosemary's Baby" or "does to being in the dark what Jaws did to the water" or "redefines horror" then you have no choice but to hope the film is going to be a good scary horror film.  I find that what critics want out of a horror film is many times different than what I want.  

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) 37% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Here's some of the things they said about it:  

Inspired by a true story' presumably adds to the sordid thrills; maybe we should look forward to entertainments about Nazis torturing children.

This poor mediocre remake brings nothing and adds nothing to an already classic film...

Just needlessly ugly and unpleasant, not to mention Hollywoodized down to its muddy shoes.

And yet this film was outstanding imo.  It did everything right and yet critics ripped it.  Here's another one:

When The Shining first came out in 1980, it received mostly negative to mixed reviews....it certainly wasn't revered like it is today:

The genre within which the film is cast exerts too great a price. Nicholson”s performance, even if deliberately over the top, still shouldn”t encourage as much laughter as fear. Nor should the final twists of the plot look so illogical. If The Shining isn”t trivial, it certainly encourages one to think that it is.” – Derek Malcolm, Guardian

“I can't recall a more elaborately ineffective scare movie. You might say that The Shining, opening today at area theaters, has no peers: Few directors achieve the treacherous luxury of spending five years (and $12 million-$15 million) on such a peerlessly wrongheaded finished product.” – Gary Arnold, The Washington Post

“The crazier Nicholson gets, the more idiotic he looks. Shelley Duvall transforms the warm sympathetic wife of the book into a simpering, semi-retarded hysteric.” – Variety [credited to “Variety Staff”]

The Dawn of the Dead remake had a 6.5 average from critics.  Here's one doozy:

Only gore-thirsting teens will be satisfied.

I don't have the time right now to go any further into this.  My point is that horror is so subjective, just like comedy.  What some like or some find disturbing or scary is often times not the same as what critics do.  I find critics often are looking for something from a horror film that I just don't care about.  So forgive me if I don't care about or respect what critics say about horror films.  I'll see every one of them....EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM and then I'll make up my own mind and then tell you guys how I feel.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

Oh come on?  Seriously?  The Shining is one of my favourite horror films.

but... but... it's not full of jump scares! It's not scary! Therefore NOT a real horror film!

3 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

but... but... it's not full of jump scares! It's not scary! Therefore NOT a real horror film!

When did I ever say that a movie needs jump scares to be a horror film?  Angel Heart is one of my favourite films, not just horror but films of all time, and that has 0 jump scares.  So "leave your stupid comments in your pocket."  :hahaha:

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

When did I ever say that a movie needs jump scares to be a horror film?  Angel Heart is one of my favourite films, not just horror but films of all time, and that has 0 jump scares.  So "leave your stupid comments in your pocket."  :hahaha:

I more mean why do they have to be scary? What scares one person is different from someone else. Just because it doesn't scare you in your seat, doesn't mean its not a horror film.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just now, Ranger Tree said:

I more mean why do they have to be scary? What scares one person is different from someone else. Just because it doesn't scare you in your seat, doesn't mean its not a horror film.

Simple comparison surely is I didn't find Baywatch funny in the slightest, but it still belongs in the comedy genre.

Maybe in the trailers for A24's next acclaimed horror film, they will say "We sincerely apologise to baumer that critics like this movie, we'll try harder to make them hate our horror films next time." 

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Simple comparison surely is I didn't find Baywatch funny in the slightest, but it still belongs in the comedy genre.

No it's not like that. Baywatch was designed to make you laugh out loud and it failed at that. There are however, films that belong in comedy genre that are not designed with lots of laugh out loud jokes.

2 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

No it's not like that. Baywatch was designed to make you laugh out loud and it failed at that. There are however, films that belong in comedy genre that are not designed with lots of laugh out loud jokes.

Laugh out loud jokes is not the same equivalent to lots and lots of jump scares as that would imply jump scares are the only form of scares in horror. The point I was making is even though one comedy film didn't work for me, I wouldn't start saying it's not a comedy film - but a drama or something to that effect. Same with The Bye Bye Man, not scary in the slightest and I ironically got more laughs out of it, but it's still a horror movie.

THE ROOM is not a comedy film but I think it's hilarious and I love it.

There are also films that scare me personally but wouldn't be called horror films. And there are horror films that I like but not because they scare the shit out of me.

52 minutes ago, baumer said:

I find critics often are looking for something from a horror film that I just don't care about. 

That's not nearly the same thing as not understanding the genre. 

First you place everyone on equal ground there - "horror is subjective", "what some people find scary others don't" - then, again, proclaim that you don't respect people whose interests and opinions on horror don't line up with yours. So what makes your own opinions worthy of respect then? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

That's not nearly the same thing as not understanding the genre. 

First you place everyone on equal ground there - "horror is subjective", "what some people find scary others don't" - then, again, proclaim that you don't respect people whose interests and opinions on horror don't line up with yours. So what makes your own opinions worthy of respect then? 

I don't care what people think of my opinions on horror.  I'll respect yours and anyone else who sits down to watch a horror movie.  I don't respect critics opinions on most films.  I've said this for decades and nothing has changed.  I realize different things scare and entertain different people.  If you like ICAN or Babadook or Silence of the Lambs or Toolbox Murders or Raw or Oculus or whatever, then that's cool.  Our opinions may differ but what you like is your business....it's the critical opinion I stay clear from.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 7:35 AM, Blaze Heatnix said:

Comment from a reddit user who claims to have watched it, hours ago:

"It's more approachable than past A24 flicks. But this will still divide audiences. I expect a lot of people getting bored about half way through. Definitely a slow burn flick. I liked it a lot, though. I think most hardcore horror fans will."

Jesus I've also claimed I watched it yet you ignore my posts ;)

On 6/2/2018 at 3:44 PM, baumer said:

Well there's a fucking surprise.  I said this from the beginning that I just hope this isn't like another pull the rug from under you kind of horror film.  It Comes At Night was another one of A24's chicanery films.  I liked this trailer and I'll be seeing it but I fear the worst, of course.

Also not it isn't "pull the rug from under you". It's not it comes at night. Ffs. Read my posts. Some people say it's not audience friendly but not because it's not a horror. While year the first hour is a bit slower many horrors are. It's not audience fiendly because some of the shit that happens is very very not nice. I'd say one of the reasons people are angry at the new Lars von Tier is the reasons people may be angry here (no, not misogyny).

18 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

I can't wait to see this.

EDIT: To anyone who has seen a screening, what are the closest comps? Is this Mother!, The Sixth Sense, The Babagook, The Witch, or something else?

Rosemary's Baby. Seriously. It's VERY close. Mix "We need to talk about Kevin" with "Rosemary's baby" and you get "Hereditary"

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

This transcending the genre bullcrap needs to be stopped  ASAP.

The thing is this time it is accurate. This is part hardcore family drama, part real oldschool horror.

• Like 1