La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

I'm sure A24 has a fanbase that goes to their acclaimed, high-profile releases, but I wonder if First Reformed might eat into a small sliver of Hereditary's gross because of how well it's doing in its platform release. Am I reading to much into it? I probably am.

Comment from a reddit user who claims to have watched it, hours ago:

"It's more approachable than past A24 flicks. But this will still divide audiences. I expect a lot of people getting bored about half way through. Definitely a slow burn flick. I liked it a lot, though. I think most hardcore horror fans will."

• Like 1

Two years in a row A24 has released a horror flick wide on the 2nd weekend of June (last year IT COMES AT NIGHT, June 9). Based on the tweet above, you wonder if this is such a great strategy, especially if HEREDITARY is another ICAN. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Two years in a row A24 has released a horror flick wide on the 2nd weekend of June (last year IT COMES AT NIGHT, June 9). Based on the tweet above, you wonder if this is such a great strategy, especially if HEREDITARY is another ICAN. 

It's not like ICAN would've made more any other time of year. Works as counterprogramming too, no other horror movies for weeks before or after. 

• Like 2

This just seems totally poised to be another ICAN. Great trailer, great atmosphere, great reviews, but not GA friendly. Idk, I might be wrong and I'm really looking forward to seeing it if I get the chance, but I'm trying not to get too excited just yet. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Grace Randolph tweeted that it’s the worst movie she’s seen since Mother! and Phantom Thread.

I haven’t seen any of those. I’m still excited for Hereditary.

Thats a very good sign. Movie is probably really, really good then.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Grace Randolph tweeted that it’s the worst movie she’s seen since Mother! and Phantom Thread.

Both Mother! and Phantom Thread are near-masterpieces so I'm very glad to hear that. 

However, Grace's opinion can be pretty close to the GA's opinion, so it might be in for a toxic CinemaScore after all. Judging by her criticisms in the video review, it might depend on how "artsy" the film is.

• Like 1

oh good I loved mother!

from the first experience I had the first time I saw the trailer for Hereditary, I was thinking this might be the one to deliver a bit more spark than It Comes At Night and The Witch with their misleading advertising, Hereditary might be able to edge out something like a B- cinemascore. 

Edited by Thematrixfilm
  • Like 1

On 01/06/2018 at 1:46 AM, Istealnames said:

The trailer is misleading. 

Well there's a fucking surprise.  I said this from the beginning that I just hope this isn't like another pull the rug from under you kind of horror film.  It Comes At Night was another one of A24's chicanery films.  I liked this trailer and I'll be seeing it but I fear the worst, of course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

You'd probably like Mother.

• Like 1