MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

55 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This was probably TGS' last shot at a weekend in the top 3. So since it never happened, it should easily eclipse American Hustle ($150m) as the highest grosser never to hit the weekend top 3.

Would love to see one more weekend for it over its OW next weekend. Would require no more than a 7.8% drop. Pretty hard, but certainly won't call it impossible for this movie, especially with Winchester being the only new release next weekend. 

well...

January 12-15, 2018
click here to view the
3-DAY WEEKEND

<<Last Weekend <Last Year View Index: By Year | By Weekend Next Weekend>>
TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #
1 1 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sony $35,176,695 -5.5% 3,849 +48 $9,139 $291,312,604 $90 4
2 15 The Post Fox $23,055,654 +1,257.8% 2,819 +2,783 $8,179 $27,544,891 $50 4
3 4 The Greatest Showman Fox $16,177,587 +17.5% 2,938 -404 $5,506 $98,931,455 $84 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

wait theres like nothing releasing next weekend, why can't it move back to #3? Helen Mirren horror film is not going to make very much money. 

TGS would need to increase and Maze Runner would have to fall about 60%. It's possible, but not very likely

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

TGS would need to increase and Maze Runner would have to fall about 60%. It's possible, but not very likely

Huh? TGS only has to drop less than Hostiles to reclaim #3, that's not going to be very hard.

Just now, Tree Billboards said:

Huh? TGS only has to drop less than Hostiles to reclaim #3, that's not going to be very hard.

Oh, I assume Winchester hits double digits. But maybe it doesn't, idk. I haven't followed tracking on that at all

Just now, MrPink said:

Oh, I assume Winchester hits double digits. But maybe it doesn't, idk. I haven't followed tracking on that at all

Can't see who it appeals to. Helen Mirren fans don't want to see a horror movie, and horror fans don't want to see Helen Mirren. The audiences will cancel each other out rather than combining/crossing over.

it's not getting a massive release which suggests they're not expecting it to do much business. also it's produced by CBS Films who apparently have made 7 films, all of which bombed.

What's the last horror movie to come out?

Anyways, the Bye Bye Man somehow made 13 million OW (granted, with MLK weekend), so I believe anything is possible

Edited by MrPink

Anyways, the Bye Bye Man somehow made 13 million OW (granted, with MLK weekend), so I believe anything is possible

Insidious, which opened a hair under 30M. The market isn't really starving for a horror flick right now, and Lionsgate has no confidence with the revised TC

oh forgot it was super bowl weekend. that's why theres only one film out. yeah that solidifies my position.

Insidious 3 (4?) opened a couple weeks ago to 30M.

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Insidious, which opened a hair under 30M. The market isn't really starving for a horror flick right now, and Lionsgate has no confidence with the revised TC

Somehow I forgot that existed. Amazing

• Haha 2

Insidious 4 inexplicably beating 1 and 3 is a huge wtf. Should have been the lowest grossing by a decent margin. Unless horror really is so in right now that all releases in the genre are going to get a boost for awhile. 

And that franchise's profitability is just nuts. All 4 films cost a combined $26.5m to make and have grossed a combined $516m with still a little gas left in the tank for 4. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Looking at the schedule, Open Road REALLY needs to move Midnight Sun to the last weekend of April. It'll bomb anywhere it goes, but if it stays where it is, theaters will be clogged and holdovers that are a few weeks old will have to go the following weekend.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Looking at the schedule, Open Road REALLY needs to move Midnight Sun to the last weekend of April. It'll bomb anywhere it goes, but if it stays where it is, theaters will be clogged and holdovers that are a few weeks old will have to go the following weekend.

At this point, I'll only believe an Open Road film is actually opening when it's in theaters.