DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***BLACK PANTHER SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

Generally I'm not a fan of CBMs killing off villains because duh, you would maybe want them to come back even if not immediately. (Especially in this shared universe age where characters could come back albeit not in sequels but in somebody else's film.) But I don't mind what BP did with Killmonger because there was thematic payoff to it to the point that not killing him in retrospect would've been a mistake. (Basically its like Zod/MOS....except you know, this works.)

That said, I thought they made a mistake in offing Klaw. Serkis was fun and could've been a good B-villain to revive from time to time and I'm sure he would be happy to play a regular gig without having to wear green suits covered in ping pong balls. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Killmonger hates America and he hates Wakanda.

He's nationless and fatherless due to a merciless stuggle he was born into.

When he's offered a American patriotism and a deep sense of African spiritual connection he just wants to burn it all to the ground, literally.

His anger isn't about saving black people or anyone else. It's 100% revenge fantasy.

People with this blind rage are hopeless.

As Killmonger's father said in the spiritual plane. They are lost.

I'm baffled seeing people online trying to argue he's a hero. Despite his words about helping to liberate other people, he's a nihilistic guy with despotic traits. (I mean he outright says he's launching the Wakanda Empire.)

A detail not often mentioned (surprisingly) is the fact that the military apparently were balls deep in with King Creed Jr's plan and not just T'Challa's rhino-raising buddy. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RRA said:

I'm baffled seeing people online trying to argue he's a hero. Despite his words about helping to liberate other people, he's a nihilistic guy with despotic traits. (I mean he outright says he's launching the Wakanda Empire.)

A detail not often mentioned (surprisingly) is the fact that the military apparently were balls deep in with King Creed Jr's plan and not just T'Challa's rhino-raising buddy. 

Nihilistic despots usually are incredibly likeable and charming. (And often they hide behind a populist cause). Their manipulation is the source of their power. So, Killmonger is cautionary rather than glorifying a monster.

The Wakanda military are fiercely loyal the their king which is consistent with places like Japan during WW2.

The culture conditions the people to defend their land by any means and proudly die for the Emporeror or king.

That's how Wakanda survived for thousands of years unfortunately.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2

The movie was great (8/10) especially in IMAX. I loved everything about Wakanda's design and layout. Would love if they released some sort of interactive map. It's a great setting for a future video-game. The Jabari Tribe mountains were my personal favorite. 

Also would consider getting the blu ray if the steelbook art is to my liking. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RRA said:

I'm pleasantly surprised that Mary Sue, Jezebel and their ilk aren't shitting bricks over Killmonger slitting that Dora Milaje throat, shooting his girlfriend and beating up a bunch of other women (Doras, Shuri). Considering the uproar over Zara getting eaten by several dinos in JW, batman punching Harley Quinn in SS, etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm pleasantly surprised that Mary Sue, Jezebel and their ilk aren't shitting bricks over Killmonger slitting that Dora Milaje throat, shooting his girlfriend and beating up a bunch of other women (Doras, Shuri). Considering the uproar over Zara getting eaten by several dinos in JW, batman punching Harley Quinn in SS, etc.

Give it time.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Black Panther had the one of the best portrayals of strong women in superhero movies ever. You can even make an argument that each one of them outshines the main character in the movie. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Because Killmonger showing no respect for women at all, and disposing of them when they're in his way (sometimes gleefully), is very much intentional, and serves as a bright-line distinction with how T'Challa treats the women in his life, with affection and trust, hearing them and relying on them completely.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Black Panther had the one of the best portrayals of strong women in superhero movies ever. You can even make an argument that each one of them outshines the main character in the movie. 

yes but when did that matter to clickbait sites? That's why I'm surprised (though likely prematurely).

also agreed.  @MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie

Edited by Valonqar

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Jezabel and their ilk don't give a shit about black women. They're too busy bitching about Wonder Woman's shaved armpits.

Killmonger was unsubtlely depicted as a raging psycho graphically slaughtering black women (even though the Dora Milaje were voluntary warriors so they're not hapless victims, Killmonger treated them like equal opponents just like when he offed Klaw. He stops at nothing by any means necessary), so we (especially black women) couldn't adhere to his legitimate stance.

I saw a thinkpiece comparing Killmonger to Chris Brown...:apocalypse:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes but when did that matter to clickbait sites? That's why I'm surprised (though likely prematurely).

also agreed.  @MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie

Fair enough. Although there are other (legitimate) flaws they can write about within Black Panther. I've never seen JW and suicide squad was all around trash so wtv. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Jezabel and their ilk don't give a shit about black women. They're too busy bitching about Wonder Woman's shaved armpits.

Killmonger was unsubtlely depicted as a raging psycho graphically slaughtering black women (even though the Dora Milaje were voluntary warriors so they're not hapless victims, Killmonger treated them like equal opponents just like when he offed Klaw. He stops at nothing by any means necessary), so we (especially black women) couldn't adhere to his legitimate stance.

:winomg:

One of my favorite scenes was Killmonger revealing his true name to the royal bloods. Everything thrown into chaos combined with his awesome theme playing in the background was great. The scene later one with him walking towards the throne with the camera spinning was cool as well. Also "Hey Auntie" :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

One of my favorite scenes was Killmonger revealing his true name to the royal bloods. Everything thrown into chaos combined with his awesome theme playing in the background was great. The scene later one with him walking towards the throne with the camera spinning was cool as well. Also "Hey Auntie" :D

yeah, the whole American King meets Wakandan Court was ace. I wished he was the King for longer. 

Good movie. It was little different when there was not big set piece action scene in beginning. Andy serkis was good, best character in first half. Not big fan of soundtrack other than killmonger stuff. That was good. Killmonger himself was good. I liked the aspect of father being wrong and not some perfect king. Other than chase scene, I didn't like action scenes.

Jordan made this movie for me. I wanted his more scenes with dialogue. I wanted a slo-mo scene with that making people fly with suit releasing power thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I think plenty women are hot for Killmonger so there's probably going to be a few "Fifty Shades of Killmonger" fanfics popping up on the interwebs. :qotd: