That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

26 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I had issue with the execution too. I guess in theory it wasn't so bad.

Also I think John Stewart could make for a good solo Green Lantern in a film, especially if they used his "marine" background. I think I'd prefer that over a Cyborg film. 

hell imagine if Dwayne Johnson had played that part. Imagine DJ's Stewart in the JL, imagine that DJ's Stewart sure as well wouldn't take Batman's usual crap or back down from fighting Superman. 

Of course I've got a man crush on him. Not really a big Lobo fan, but I thought when he was attached to that part that he could've pulled off that delicate dance between macho-overdrive punching/one-liners and OTT without it becoming obnoxiously too much. Plus I could picture him riding a space motorcycle across the cosmos on his way to the next job. Or titty bar, whatever comes first. 

• Like 1

Cyborg doesn't need his own movie. Put him in Teen Titans where he belongs. Add Robin/Nightwing and co and bam. They can easily integrate into the current DCEU and if done right, could be another GOTG/SS type.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder what Perlmutter would've thought of that Black Panther script and budget.

Considering he (1) was once sued for racial discrimination (2) allegedly once said that someone asked him about audience confusion when War Machine was recasted, he said basically it didn't matter because "all black people look alike" (3) used to fire people at Marvel comics for leaving their offices with the lights on....

The poor guy probably has a pacemaker now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

33 minutes ago, RRA said:

Considering he (1) was once sued for racial discrimination (2) allegedly once said that someone asked him about audience confusion when War Machine was recasted, he said basically it didn't matter because "all black people look alike" (3) used to fire people at Marvel comics for leaving their offices with the lights on....

The poor guy probably has a pacemaker now. 

has been quiet something in Hollywood for last few months with Wonder Woman, Weinstein fall-out and BP.

58 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man it must be swell being a boring mid 30s white guy in Hollywood. Black filmmakers fight for decades to get one passion project and they're out here handing 200 million dollar superhero movies to the fucking Great Value version of Jim from the Office. 

Somebody online compared Ryan Coogler's career trajectory to Nolan's and it's spot on. Both started out with indie films (for Nolan, 2 of them), then the mid-level studio programmer, then the big budget tentpole. That's how it should be, a meritocracy where you move up the ranks and proving you can cut the mustard while learning in the process. For a myriad of reasons this isn't the case (like that mid-level programmers are much rarer than they used to be, even as relatively recent in great historical scope of things as 2002 when Nolan did INSOMINA) plus the white male privilege problem you brought up. 

That's what gets me about WW. Wasn't one of the big takeaways from that triumph was that gee this woman did a better job with critics and audiences than alot of white guys did in that same cinematic spectrum, including that DCEU she's working in? So after WW, has WB/DC hired more women directors? NOPE. They hired a guy who did two basic if profitable ghost movies to do SHAZAM! And two guys who had a flop in VACATION (though apparently upcoming GAME NIGHT is good fun) to take over from THE FLASH which previously had hired a black indie filmmaker who quit because in his words, WB/DC wouldn't let him give the project "edge." In social-political context, we can decode that as being he wanted to be political with the project and the higher ups got cold feet. (A rumor that went around albeit never confirmed was that he wanted to do a BLM element to the plot. Remember that Kiersey Clemens is Iris West, or is set to be anyway.) Remember this point considering BLACK PANTHER with its political commentary and box office. 

They had one thing over Marvel (well several things but lets keep on my point) and they've not exploited it. In military school, you're taught to attack an exposed opening in your enemy's position and attack and attack and attack. And they've not taken it. Hell we all know Marvel's own issues, and that one certain lady that had a falling out with them on Thor 2 and quit and got replaced with Alan Taylor, who afterwards gave us the cinematic abortion TERMINATOR (SEGA) GENISYS. Anyway Marvel responded to the Jenkins hire on WW by hiring one woman director for CAPTAIN MARVEL...and that's it. Feels like both sides went OK we got one for that checkbox, now leave us alone OK Internet?

Here's my personal belief: I'm not saying either side shouldn't hire white guys to direct. WB hired Matt Reeves for the next Batman movie. That's a good hire. Right? I think we all agree there. Gareth Evans on Deathstroke? HOLY CRAP that should be awesome. (Hell why isn't that happening instead of friggin Nightwing?) Those are two exceptional directors, two good hires. But if you're going for journeymen (if we use that backhanded term used by movie buffs/critics) and you're picking between white guy journeymen and women/POC journeymen? I'm going affirmative action here. 

(Of course back to my first paragraph: Coogler had a big critical/box office hit with CREED when Marvel hired him. He isn't a journeyman. Considering where Patty Jenkins' career was before WW....I would use that term for her. I thought she did a competent job with WW, if not exceptional. I gave it the same grade that I gave for DR. STRANGE and THOR 2 and ANT-MAN and so forth. I liked those 3, but none of those directors exactly distinguished themselves dramatically from each other. Though I guess I give Peyton Reed some points for helping to salvage AM considering how late in the game he was hired. I would've hired Patty over them.) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

has been quiet something in Hollywood for last few months with Wonder Woman, Weinstein fall-out and BP.

He never gives interviews. Hell we don't have many photos of the guy. Last I heard he was part of El Presidente's network of advisors/allies. 

10 minutes ago, RRA said:

Somebody online compared Ryan Coogler's career trajectory to Nolan's and it's spot on. Both started out with indie films (for Nolan, 2 of them), then the mid-level studio programmer, then the big budget tentpole. That's how it should be, a meritocracy where you move up the ranks and proving you can cut the mustard while learning in the process. For a myriad of reasons this isn't the case (like that mid-level programmers are much rarer than they used to be, even as relatively recent in great historical scope of things as 2002 when Nolan did INSOMINA) plus the white male privilege problem you brought up. 

That's what gets me about WW. Wasn't one of the big takeaways from that triumph was that gee this woman did a better job with critics and audiences than alot of white guys did in that same cinematic spectrum, including that DCEU she's working in? So after WW, has WB/DC hired more women directors? NOPE. They hired a guy who did two basic if profitable ghost movies to do SHAZAM! And two guys who had a flop in VACATION (though apparently upcoming GAME NIGHT is good fun) to take over from THE FLASH which previously had hired a black indie filmmaker who quit because in his words, WB/DC wouldn't let him give the project "edge." In social-political context, we can decode that as being he wanted to be political with the project and the higher ups got cold feet. (A rumor that went around albeit never confirmed was that he wanted to do a BLM element to the plot. Remember that Kiersey Clemens is Iris West, or is set to be anyway.) Remember this point considering BLACK PANTHER with its political commentary and box office. 

They had one thing over Marvel (well several things but lets keep on my point) and they've not exploited it. In military school, you're taught to attack an exposed opening in your enemy's position and attack and attack and attack. And they've not taken it. Hell we all know Marvel's own issues, and that one certain lady that had a falling out with them on Thor 2 and quit and got replaced with Alan Taylor, who afterwards gave us the cinematic abortion TERMINATOR (SEGA) GENISYS. Anyway Marvel responded to the Jenkins hire on WW by hiring one woman director for CAPTAIN MARVEL...and that's it. Feels like both sides went OK we got one for that checkbox, now leave us alone OK Internet?

Here's my personal belief: I'm not saying either side shouldn't hire white guys to direct. WB hired Matt Reeves for the next Batman movie. That's a good hire. Right? I think we all agree there. Gareth Evans on Deathstroke? HOLY CRAP that should be awesome. (Hell why isn't that happening instead of friggin Nightwing?) Those are two exceptional directors, two good hires. But if you're going for journeymen (if we use that backhanded term used by movie buffs/critics) and you're picking between white guy journeymen and women/POC journeymen? I'm going affirmative action here. 

(Of course back to my first paragraph: Coogler had a big critical/box office hit with CREED when Marvel hired him. He isn't a journeyman. Considering where Patty Jenkins' career was before WW....I would use that term for her. I thought she did a competent job with WW, if not exceptional. I gave it the same grade that I gave for DR. STRANGE and THOR 2 and ANT-MAN and so forth. I liked those 3, but none of those directors exactly distinguished themselves dramatically from each other. Though I guess I give Peyton Reed some points for helping to salvage AM considering how late in the game he was hired. I would've hired Patty over them.) 

Bro, why the fuck are you so smart?

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

$200M will be pretty tight with a $66M Saturday. Given the WOM, possible spillover, and the holiday on Monday, an 11.8% drop is possible, but will certainly not be easy. 

tenor.gif800px-USA_Puerto_Rico_labeled.svg.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 5