• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 2/28/2018 at 9:28 AM, Jim Shorts said:

"Wait wait..I have kids at home."

"Not with an ass like that you don't."

The line is actually "Not with that ass", not, "Not with an ass like that". For some reason the online ads that have that line, have written the line wrong.

Also really cringey and not funny.

Also doesn't make any sense? I have plenty of friends who have kids and have nice tight bums. When has anyone been able to tell whether someone's a mother by looking at them?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

The line is actually "Not with that ass", not, "Not with an ass like that". For some reason the online ads that have that line, have written the line wrong.

Also really cringey and not funny.

Also doesn't make any sense? I have plenty of friends who have kids and have nice tight bums. When has anyone been able to tell whether someone's a mother by looking at them?

1:40 mark 

and regarding the rest of your post, maybe you’re still young or your friends with kids are still young, but most women as they get older, suffer from mom butts after they start having kids. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 5:17 AM, Treeing Me Apart said:

the camera just seemed to be so far away to have been attached, even though it felt like it was attached.

Was just reading an AMA on reddit where the directors talked about that shot.

John: We used a special camera rig called an R-1 arm for a lot of the driving sequences. Because of its lightweight composition, it can extend out far more than typical steel rigs. This allowed us to put the camera back 15 feet behind the vehicle in order to look like a 3rd person driving video game-- like GTA. We employed that same technique in other shots as well. For instance, in the back room of the dive bar where Brooks tied up and the bad guys are trying to break through the door, we locked the camera on the door's lock (almost as though there was a mini R-1 arm attached to it) as it rotated. We wanted to add to the tension in any way we could and getting creative with our inserts was one way to do it. We did that same type of locked image in the overhead drone shot of the airplane as it was turning onto the runway.

Additionally, nearly every time Jesse Plemons was on screen, we were dollying into his face. We thought it was a funny way to play up the suspense, despite the fact that what Jesse is saying is totally mundane and boring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jim Shorts said:

1:40 mark 

and regarding the rest of your post, maybe you’re still young or your friends with kids are still young, but most women as they get older, suffer from mom butts after they start having kids. 

yeah it's a different take in the film with a slightly different line. I'll take bets if you're feeling confident :P 

And yeah my friends are all my age, around 20 who have had kids and you really can't tell.

Even so, i really dont think you can tell if someone has had a kid by looking at their arse. I should know... i spend a lot of time looking at arses. 

5 hours ago, aabattery said:

Was just reading an AMA on reddit where the directors talked about that shot.

Thanks. Interesting that they had such lightweight equipment, I had assumed there was some trickery because a camera rig would be too heavy for that distance, but apparently not :) 

I think this is one of the best things about the film, the way it is shot. So much better than 99% of comedies, full of interesting and engaging visuals.

Edited by Treeing Me Apart

I went in wanting to laugh, and laugh I did.  I thought Rachael McAdams was wonderful.  I really loved her and her character.  I so appreciated that the friends all had their own storylines and issues, and felt like real people, not just random bodies to fill out the cast.  The stuff with Jesse Plemons was aces.  It was a total shame they under-utilized Chelsea Peretti and Jeffrey Wright.  

My other big complaint was Jason Bateman felt like he was sleepwalking through the movie.  I kept trying to recast him.  (I settled on the Hollywood Chrises would've been way better, with Pratt as Bateman, Evans as the brother, Hemsworth as the dumb blond, and Pine as the Bulgarian.) 

B-/C+

• Like 1

Game Night is pretty good. It's way better than any studio comedy that isn't Jumanji from last year, which isn't saying much. The first two acts are primarily chuckles every now and then, and the humor doesn't really pick up until the third act. Overall, it's solid. 7.5/10 | B-

A rare studio comedy that isn’t pure improv or a star vehicle, Game Night takes its high concept premise and runs with it. Daley and Goldstein take the chance to direct very funny setpieces and keep their actors focused on the script, allowing the few improv moments within the film to really stand-out. The cast is phenomenal; although Jesse Plemons is a clear stand-out, this is truly an ensemble piece where everyone has a chance to shine. Bateman and McAdams anchor it well with a strong sense of chemistry, but really, there’s not a single weak part of the cast.

The aspects of parody are very well done, and the film keeps up the pace in a way modern American comedy typically falters at. The only major issue with it is a few poor meta-jokes that are real clunkers, along some cliché plot elements about the main characters’ relationships that feel out of place compared to the more inspired stuff here. Still, Game Night is the type of comedy studios should strive to release, featuring charming actors, a more natural raunchiness than usual, and a bit of directorial flair to make it all sing. A very enjoyable time at the theater. B+

I liked this film, and it reminded me a bit of Hangover and Mystery Date. I got in touch with this group of misfits, and the story was full of surprises. There was one more twist at the end and then another, which might have been overkill to a degree but it ended up adding to the film's complexity. 

I would end it with their kids becoming competitive. 

• Like 1