Eric the Ape

The Many Saints of Newark | October 1, 2021 | Sopranos Prequel written by David Chase l ALAN TAYLOR DIRECTS

On 2/27/2019 at 8:38 PM, Cmasterclay said:

I'm very excited despite myself - Sopranos is GOAT even if I don't like prequels.

Same.

In the middle of Season 5 during my 8th or 9th rewatch, which I do every couple of years. Recently bought the Sopranos Sessions book. That show is the greatest anything created in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichWS said:

Same.

In the middle of Season 5 during my 8th or 9th rewatch, which I do every couple of years. Recently bought the Sopranos Sessions book. That show is the greatest anything created in my lifetime. 

Oh man that book is fucking great, some truly excellent insight into a show that I thought I knew. Illuminated new things about the text.

15 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

This seems like something that potentially thrive better in the spring than it would in the fall against a whole bunch of movies aiming for awards (although who knows what the fall movie schedule this year will look like in the end) so this seems like a good move.

It must be an ironclad agreement that this get a theatrical release because of all the movies to easily pivot to a home viewing only release this would be the main candidate for an HBO Saturday night premiere where it would seem more likely to get attention (not just from viewers, but also qualifying for TV awards).

13 hours ago, filmlover said:

It must be an ironclad agreement that this get a theatrical release because of all the movies to easily pivot to a home viewing only release this would be the main candidate for an HBO Saturday night premiere where it would seem more likely to get attention (not just from viewers, but also qualifying for TV awards).

Apparently it's to position it in the awards race with fest debuts. However, I bet the possibility of fall films like this or Dune reverting to traditional release is also a big factor.